Single aircraft accident Emu Creek 20/08/22. Plane vs tree

Just heard about a light aircraft accident at Emu Creek.  Was on ABC national news. Apparently struck a tree on take-off at 8am.  2 POB. I think I heard no fatalities or injuries... police and emergency services at scene to observe fuel leak.

I'm interested in this one because of the hitting a tree aspect. That is a distinct possibility  here at Robin Falls international so keen to  hear what happened and learn any lessons.

Was surprised that what sounded like a relatively minor accident made the national news....

Hope everybody on board unhurt and aircraft repairable.

Alan

Edited by NT5224
  • Informative 2

2 hours ago, onetrack said:

some more information in your title would be helpful. I don't have any idea of what has happened here, and your title tells readers nothing.

As a Moderator, I have amended title to be more informative.

• Helpful 1
  • Winner 1

Its reported in other media now, but I can't read it.

Couple on board are OK. Can somebody post the news atory here please?

From the Herald Sun:

Herald Sun

There is more to this story

But it’s a member-only story. Subscribe today to unlock it and more…

Article Image

Plane clips tree, plunges 10 metres in Toowoomba region crash

A plane has clipped a tree and plummeted 10 metres to the ground north of Toowoomba this morning.

Alan 

Just to let every one know, 

It was during take off we received a big gust of wind from the rear starboard, it was strong enough to take away lift and push us off the right hand side of the runway. We hit a tree at about 15ft up. My wife has a cracked collarbone and I got a black eye. We are very lucky, just an unforseen wind gust.

• Like 3
  • Informative 5

They are tough. I got into turbulence with airspeed varying 60 knots and the RH ashtray came out of the door and a radiostation radio went through the  rear window. It creaked and groaned but stayed together to my surprise, frankly.. This was a C150 that I did shark spotting in. This is separate to the incident  a few posts further back which involved a DH 82 A and a sea breeze wind change.. Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 2
  • Informative 3

Report of a similar accident on both 7 and 9 afternoon news today, 22/08. Showed a C152 on its roof in trees. Both reports said "north of Sydney" as the location, which ,technically, Emu Creek is.

I think we are going to get an increase in these types of wind situations so look around for trees moving and dust etc if it EVER gets drier before you go to take to the air. Study what's happening in the local area . Might be an  idea to have 2 windsocks if you can arrange it. IF you get involved Keep the attitude loosely the same with airspeed moving each side of your turbulence penetration speed rather than chasing it.  IF you keep attitude and power constant the plane wont change its median airspeed. Make gentle but positive control inputs. Nev

• Like 1

Hi Raeburn.

Great to heard that you and your wife are well.  Sorry to hear about any minor scrapes, and hope you both recover quickly.

Thanks for the update. Its a relief  to know that our  fellow aviators are well, also the circumstances of how an incident  happened. I fly from my small private strip in thick woodland  and what happened with you is entirely possible at my place. Bad luck, unxexpected gust!

Incidentally, my wife and I had  a forced landing after an engine seizure that made the national news about five years ago. No fun at the time, a bureaucratic nightmare and rather  embarrassing but I learnt from it (as I'm sure you will from your incident). Early days still but how's the 152 looking ?

Very best of luck and let us know how you get on. 

Cheers 

Alan

Edited by NT5224
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, facthunter said:

Might be an  idea to have 2 windsocks if you can arrange it.

We have three windsocks at Serpentine, all usually pointing in different directions. 
Glad this incident finished well.

• Informative 1

On 22/8/2022 at 11:23 PM, rgmwa said:

We have three windsocks at Serpentine, all usually pointing in different directions. 
Glad this incident finished well.

Easy fix take 2 down only have one direction then

• Haha 1