Omega engine

BrendAn

The finished prototype is supposed to coming out in the second quarter of this year.   Despite all the negativity to anything new on this forum nothing new happens without these experiments. Something will replace the piston engine eventually.whether it is something like this or the rotary variety in my other post. Who knows.  

Piston engine is here for good, humans are no longer able to advance further unless Elon provides required Capex...

Still waiting for previously promised Gravitron to materialise since childhood days... still waiting... no longer holding breath...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pointing out obvious shortcomings is NOT Negativity. EVEN  "Normal" engines have a short list of successes in Aeroplanes. I'm PRO turbines and always have been and also electric and in a limited way for Wankel and 2 strokes. I think most Pistons are sitting there ready for bits to come flying out of their innards and I've experienced that with some that HAD P&W on the front of the engines. I'd be quite happy to have a Gipsy 1-C up front and pull the heads off every 400 Hours if that's all the problem you had. . I'd be happy to fly a 3 cyl Anzani but I wouldn't fly it over a city or heavily treed Mountain slopes. ALL engines can fail.. Fly accordingly.  Nev

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

I thought the Thunderbirds nuclear powered airliner would catch on. Never did though.

Micro fission nuclear closed loop steam turbine is the best option; Thunderbirds are go 👍

• Like 2

The Omega is 99% hypermarketing and glitzy video formatting and 1% practical, useful design. It will "fall by the wayside" along with all the others like it, who all promised breathless gains in engine design.

• Agree 1

I can get a two stroke to RUN without piston rings but it doesn't mean anything. IF you've been mucking around with engines all your Life (I don't recommend it)  but you get a fair idea of what good design is and what Isn't.. There are faults in an RR Merlin and most other engines and most gearboxes.  My initial Interest in flying was initially the love of the powerplants but that became a love/hate relationship and I got more interested in Piloting and Safety  Nev

Edited by facthunter
typo
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

In the mid 60's a couple of brothers in Newcastle i think built a Daimler SP250 drag car that ran without any inlet or exhaust valves and reliably produced 600 odd hp on the dyno at 12500rpm.. it was documented in Sportscar magazine of that era... it must of been running as a 2 stroke... my father for some reason threw the entire collection in the bin just before he passed away because we got no response when advertised for sale... the garbage truck collected it all the day before i turned up to box them for storage... 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️😂😂😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by Area-51
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

Pointing out obvious shortcomings is NOT Negativity. EVEN  "Normal" engines have a short list of successes in Aeroplanes. I'm PRO turbines and always have been and also electric and in a limited way for Wankel and 2 strokes. I think most Pistons are sitting there ready for bits to come flying out of their innards and I've experienced that with some that HAD P&W on the front of the engines. I'd be quite happy to have a Gipsy 1-C up front and pull the heads off every 400 Hours if that's all the problem you had. . I'd be happy to fly a 3 cyl Anzani but I wouldn't fly it over a city or heavily treed Mountain slopes. ALL engines can fail.. Fly accordingly.  Nev

I think electric could be the answer with better charging and batteries. Some nuclear power would be good for Australia too. And hydrogen 

Piston engines have character and sounds that some of us real petrol heads like the challenge of. IF they need a bit of attention now and again. just give the motor a girls name and do what you have to to make it run happily.  Nev.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Piston engines have character and sounds that some of us real petrol heads like the challenge of. IF they need a bit of attention now and again. just give the motor a girls name and do what you have to to make it run happily.  Nev.

I have played with engines all my life too but I am open to new designs . One of them will succeed eventually.

I have a vf ss and have owned gt Falcons  among others. But my favourite exhaust note is by far a 2 stroke GM diesel. I fitted a 453 turbo in one of my boats and it sounded fantastic. All the old blokes would stop and listen to it .

4 hours ago, Area-51 said:

In the mid 60's a couple of brothers in Newcastle i think built a Daimler SP250 drag car that ran without any inlet or exhaust valves and reliably produced 600 odd hp on the dyno at 12500rpm.. it was documented in Sportscar magazine of that era... it must of been running as a 2 stroke... my father for some reason threw the entire collection in the bin just before he passed away because we got no response when advertised for sale... the garbage truck collected it all the day before i turned up to box them for storage... 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️😂😂😂🤦🏻‍♂️

There was a valveless  Holden grey motor made in sa.  It had a chain driven overhead shaft with flats cut in it . I guess like a sleeve valve. It had a rootes blower and made 300 HP on the dyno before the block split.

Edited by BrendAn

4 hours ago, Area-51 said:

In the mid 60's a couple of brothers in Newcastle i think built a Daimler SP250 drag car that ran without any inlet or exhaust valves

In Adelaide in the 1970's I met a guy who had built rotary valve heads for Holden grey motors. They ran in speedway cars at Rowley Park

Just now, bushcaddy105 said:

In Adelaide in the 1970's I met a guy who had built rotary valve heads for Holden grey motors. They ran in speedway cars at Rowley Park

Would that be what I am thinking of. The one I read about was in Adelaide.

7 hours ago, BrendAn said:

The finished prototype is supposed to coming out in the second quarter of this year.   Despite all the negativity to anything new on this forum nothing new happens without these experiments. Something will replace the piston engine eventually.whether it is something like this or the rotary variety in my other post. Who knows.  

What you're reading is not negativity, it's people explaining practical defects in the design, and usually people who work in an Industry or actually build engines, and can instantly see what's wrong. For example it's very easy to understand why turbines are not a match for cars.

• Like 2

It’s interesting watching this discussion. For years I worked for a company that was trying to do something very commonplace in a completely new, vastly better way - something that all the large established companies had spent literally billions trying to achieve (and failed). The fun part was when we first put a demo video on line, reading all the comments from the experts about how it had to be fake because we were a little, unknown company and couldn’t possibly have done it, and if it was true, then it would never get into production. Guess what? We did, and it did. Just occasionally - though not very often - the online experts are wrong. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BrendAn said:

There was a valveless  Holden grey motor made in sa.  It had a chain driven overhead shaft with flats cut in it . I guess like a sleeve valve. It had a rootes blower and made 300 HP on the dyno before the block split.

I remember more now, the daimler motor was fuel injected but normally aspirated...