CFO VANESSA HUDSON TO REPLACE JOYCE AS QANTAS CEO

From Australianaviation.com.au:

Qantas CFO Vanessa Hudson has won the race to replace Alan Joyce and will be appointed the new CEO in November.

“A lot of thought has gone into this succession and the Board had a number of high-quality candidates to consider, both internally and externally,” Chairman Richard Goyder said in a statement.

“Vanessa has a deep understanding of this business after almost three decades in a range of roles both onshore and offshore, across commercial, customer and finance. She has a huge amount of airline experience and she’s an outstanding leader.”

Goyder also hailed Joyce’s 15 years as CEO.

“This transition is happening at a time when the Qantas Group is extremely well positioned. We have a clear strategy, a strong balance sheet and record profitability that supports a pipeline of investment for customers, opportunities for our people and returns to shareholders.”

“Much of the credit for the bright future in front of Qantas goes to Alan. He’s faced more than his fair share of challenges as CEO and he’s managed them exceptionally well – from the GFC, to record oil prices, to intense competitive pressures and the COVID crisis.”

• Like 1

Somewhat ruthlessly and with a lot of morale lost. He's going into something to do with the Arts that he has a long held passion for. Who is worth 24 Mill a year?   Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

somehow I don't expect things to change, basically the accountant moving into the CEO slot.
all done internal from the existing culture

Edited by spenaroo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Joyce is ruthless and as cunning as an outhouse rodent. Airlines are tough business but a bloke who shuts down an airline world wide just to get at unions is a bit too DRIVEN by a cause to be  flexible enough to better relate to the whole situation. He's always considered him self worthy of a Sky High Pay slip so Greed must be a be a big part of it'  He's an ACCOUNTANT and has followed some USA ways of managing people where the fact of them being PEOPLE doesn't count. ACCOUNTANTs Usually CUT expenses  as a first option and dismiss workers anytime they have an excuse, Not realising that getting new hires with the right skills might be impossible and the standard suffers as it did..  Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 2

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Who is worth 24 Mill a year? 

Not an obvious sociopath who will strand untold numbers of his companies customers in cold, impersonal airports who are innocent of any misdeed. These anti personnel managers should be given a taste of their own medicine. 'Obligation to shareholders' is no excuse for blatant disregard towards those who have trusted one to 'do the right thing'.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

18 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Joyce is ruthless and as cunning as an outhouse rodent. Airlines are tough business but a bloke who shuts down an airline world wide just to get at unions is a bit too DRIVEN by a cause to be  flexible enough to better relate to the whole situation. He's always considered him self worthy of a Sky High Pay slip so Greed must be a be a big part of it'  He's an ACCOUNTANT and has followed some USA ways of managing people where the fact of them being PEOPLE doesn't count. ACCOUNTANTs Usually CUT expenses  as a first option and dismiss workers anytime they have an excuse, Not realising that getting new hires with the right skills might be impossible and the standard suffers as it did..  Nev

In my past, this sort of accountant/thinking (not always accountants) were referred to a "bean counters" .

Often lacking the understanding of how department/people/ physical resources need to interact (synergy) to deliver an effective (safe, sustainable?) result.

Most often they were "parachuted" in from somewhere else (geographically/ unrelated industry/ etc with great fanfare (save us all from our selves) and either moved on or were promoted, shortly after implementing the destruction (not waiting around to cop the  blame).

I saw this sort of destructive cycle repeated many times. It is a function of large bureaucracies both Gov & Commercial.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ms Hudson might have been the Chief Financial Officer and hence tarred with the accountant's brush (or should that be pencil), but we don't know what battles she has fought against the leprechaun.  Do we really know in whose mind the idea of slash and burn arose from? That she has been with the company for 15 years means that the Board has been standing behind her in some of these battles. Let's not condemn her before she has the chance to act. Remember that a CEO is not the owner of a company, but a conduit through which the workings of the company is poured onto the boardroom table.

• Informative 1

NOBODY here HAS condemned her, unless I missed it. Joyce's style is not that of a team player. HE can  claim some success so  it's not a wreck he's leaving. I have a completely open mind about the designated successor and make no assumption at all.. You never hear of the Qantas Board and some of them in the past had questions to answer. Qantas loves to have "protections" other airlines don't but they are  not entitled to expect that especially,  when He's probably the highest Paid Airline Executive in the World.

24 minutes ago, facthunter said:

NOBODY here HAS condemned her,

No openly, but did my twisted mind see some antagonism to promotion from within, coupled with years of associating with a type?

• Agree 1

No doubt to make news someone will be alleging that aspect  Qantas Operations would be far from simple. Hawke (Bob) appointed James Strong from a Bauxite mine background in Gove to CEO of the then, TAA . HE stated his ignorance of Airlines would be an a advantage???  AT Gove he was Infamous for freezing striking miners from the food supply and forcing them to go to Katherine or Darwin. Nev

Edited by facthunter
more content.

2 hours ago, old man emu said:

No openly, but did my twisted mind see some antagonism to promotion from within, coupled with years of associating with a type?

yes, but the fact she is female means that it cant be a jobs for the boys situation.

not saying at all that her gender has anything to do with the capability and qualifications.
I don't think it makes any difference with her appointment.

But can already see in the BBC headline that its being used as a selling point

Edited by spenaroo

Maybe she'll reinstate some of the thousands, yes thousands, of highly qualified staff that were laid off who refused to be coerced into taking an unproven vaccination.

I might be opening a can of worms here just mentioning it, and each to their own personal views, I respect that.

There has been a not insignificant number of air crew that seem to have had and an in flight adverse affect world-wide.

So many lives are in the hands of so few, which at times appears rather concerning given these events.

Pilot shortages are blamed for many cancelled services, while many have who have lived their lives with their love for Qantas, have been forced to retire and take up un-meaningful employment.

Could this also be an opportunity taken to ensure that any replacements are on a lower pay scale?

I'm so glad I personally don't have the problem sorting it all out.

Edited by planedriver
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, old man emu said:

Ms Hudson might have been the Chief Financial Officer and hence tarred with the accountant's brush (or should that be pencil), but we don't know what battles she has fought against the leprechaun.  Do we really know in whose mind the idea of slash and burn arose from? That she has been with the company for 15 years means that the Board has been standing behind her in some of these battles. Let's not condemn her before she has the chance to act. Remember that a CEO is not the owner of a company, but a conduit through which the workings of the company is poured onto the boardroom table.

And you don't know if she has fought any battles against him.

On 02/05/2023 at 10:47 AM, facthunter said:

Somewhat ruthlessly and with a lot of morale lost. He's going into something to do with the Arts that he has a long held passion for. Who is worth 24 Mill a year?   Nev

Gerry Harvey used to say no one is worth more than 500k a year (a while ago, so say 2 million now). He said if you think you are worth more, buy shares in the company. 

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 1
  • Winner 1

17 hours ago, planedriver said:

Maybe she'll reinstate some of the thousands, yes thousands, of highly qualified staff that were laid off who refused to be coerced into taking an unproven vaccination.

I might be opening a can of worms here just mentioning it, and each to their own personal views, I respect that.

There has been a not insignificant number of air crew that seem to have had and an in flight adverse affect world-wide.

So many lives are in the hands of so few, which at times appears rather concerning given these events.

Pilot shortages are blamed for many cancelled services, while many have who have lived their lives with their love for Qantas, have been forced to retire and take up un-meaningful employment.

Could this also be an opportunity taken to ensure that any replacements are on a lower pay scale?

I'm so glad I personally don't have the problem sorting it all out.

Maybe that is a discussion for a different thread...

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Gerry doesn't pay shareholder's any dividends and has said some pretty controversial things. I don't like to encourage him by buying anything from him.  Nev

Me either. My point still stands. If you think you're worth a lot, buy shares in the company you represent.

4 hours ago, facthunter said:

Gerry doesn't pay shareholder's any dividends and has said some pretty controversial things. I don't like to encourage him by buying anything from him.  Nev

He also refused to give back the 8 million we gave him to support his workers during covid. Even though he made record profits.  Not a nice bloke.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

4 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

Gerry Harvey used to say no one is worth more than 500k a year (a while ago, so say 2 million now). He said if you think you are worth more, buy shares in the company. 

Just did a quick look,

pre-covid Qantas reckons they did 55 million passengers.
so that's roughly 50c per ticket straight to the CEO's pocket

• Informative 1

I thought it was 12 and he gave back ONE squealing like a stuck Pig. TOYOTA gave it all back. I wondered HOW HE was able to stay open through all that, when others could not.  nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

41 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I thought it was 12 and he gave back ONE squealing like a stuck Pig. TOYOTA gave it all back. I wondered HOW HE was able to stay open through all that, when others could not.  nev

People stuck at home were buying lots of electrical goods and furniture off Harvey Norman online. 

• Informative 1