CFO VANESSA HUDSON TO REPLACE JOYCE AS QANTAS CEO

6 hours ago, facthunter said:

Gerry doesn't pay shareholder's any dividends and has said some pretty controversial things. I don't like to encourage him by buying anything from him.  Nev

https://www.dividenddates.com.au/hvn-dividend-history/

You guys are like dogs seeing squirrels, seriously! Pretend I didn't say Gerry Harvey. Who is a CEO you admire? Pretend that person once said:

If you think you are worth more, buy shares in the company you represent.

Merv Richardson the Bloke who started VICTA.

I've HEARD Harvey say IF you want dividends buy other's shares. Also helping the Poor people doesn't help me . They can't afford MY stuff. He was also  the person who pushed for import duties on everything  when it wasn't applied to anything below 1,000 dollars. Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, danny_galaga said:

https://www.dividenddates.com.au/hvn-dividend-history/

You guys are like dogs seeing squirrels, seriously! Pretend I didn't say Gerry Harvey. Who is a CEO you admire? Pretend that person once said:

If you think you are worth more, buy shares in the company you represent.

the bloke that owned chobani dairys. he sold up when he retired and gave his loyal employees a 200k bonus each. don't know if he was the ceo but he did own the company.

• Informative 2

35 years and still going strong and strategically on track - "The slowest longest drawn out death of an icon company in the entire history of human kind".

Last one bought a pub, this one going into fiddle fuddle land... wonder what this new one will exit into afterward 🤔

• Informative 1

It would be interesting to find out how many CEOs of top companies around the world began as bean counters. My guess is it is a very high percentage. They are always driven by the numbers. People are just a condiuit to get the numbers they want. It can come unstuck though as it did with Boeing, but even now they have an ex beancounter (Calhoun) at the top as CEO and Chairman (called President in the US). They fed the last CEO to the wolves but I don't think he cared given the multi million dollar gold parachute he got.

Given her history with the company I will give Hudson the benefit of the doubt ........ for now.

Joyce can now be confined to the dustbin of aviation history. Qantas now has a very tainted legacy of money before people & a lot of ex employees disposed of by Joyce will never trust the company or allow themselves the indignaty of re-employment no matter what sort of carrot they dangle. Others will of course purely for economic reasons. 

• Like 1

She speaks all the corporate gobbledegook well, she'll fit in nicely. Whenever I hear "going forward" spoken repeatedly, I know exactly where they've got their obfuscation training.

This is pretty relevant .....

QUOTE:

"While Qantas has returned to profit, a report by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission released last month showed it was contacted 1780 times about Qantas over the 2022 financial year, an increase of nearly 70 per cent on the previous year, and the most complaints it has ever received about an airline."

https://www.smh.com.au/traveller/travel-news/memo-to-the-new-ceo-here-s-what-qantas-passengers-want-20230502-p5d4xe.html?utm_content=INTRO&list_name=10078_traveller_news&promote_channel=edmail&utm_campaign=traveller-wednesday&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=2023-05-03&mbnr=MTAwODM2NDQ&instance=2023-05-03-12-00-AEST&jobid=29631042

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

There's an old saying." Beware of Little men ,Ambitious men and Cripples". The last mentioned one would now be politically incorrect  these days.but is included for Historical accuracy.. In my experience a promotion often changes some peoples character for the worst. The power goes to their head and they become the Tyrant they always wanted to be.  It's really based on their INSECURITY and fear of being found a fake. Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Yes, as a vertically challenged individual, I can advise I have never had any aims of becoming a tyrant!!

However, I believe PM Billy Hughes was a bit of a short-arse? Although he was still taller than me.

Allan Joyce is reportedly the same height as Billy Hughes - although some sites tell tales, that Joyce is 5' 10". Must have been a corporate site, aiming at "booming him up".

Edited by onetrack

John Wayne was pretty short too wasn't he?  This Guy only called ME his little mate because he'd forgotten my name. Respect is earned not demanded. Aussies have a history of cutting down perceived TALL POPPIES. Nev

John Wayne was 6' 3-3/4" (193cm). Not exactly short by anyones measure. 

Here's your shortlist (pun intended) of short intimidating leaders. I don't know who was the worst of them, Franco was the most brutal, ruthless leader in Central Europe, Stalin in Eastern Europe, and Kim Jong-il probably beats them both.

https://www.ranker.com/list/shortest-world-leaders-from-history/katia-kleyman

15 hours ago, kgwilson said:

how many CEOs of top companies around the world began as bean counters.

My daughter is an accountant and CPA. She's worked her way from accounts clerk before she qualified to being a CFO of an Australian registered company which is owned by a German international. She holds an above average military security clearance as her company contracts to the Defence Department. At New Year she was promoted to the Board of the Australian company, and is held in such regard by the Germans for her ability and integrity that it is not impossible to see her as CEO in a few short years.

At the moment she is working on another important production project due for completion by the beginning of December this year. Being an efficient accountant, she has ensured redundancy in the project. OME will be the grandfather of twins!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, facthunter said:

She knows how to multiply then.  MY wife is an Accountant too,  but I'm not sure how that adds up.. She denies being calculating. Nev.

Comments like that can be divisive.

• Haha 2

On a serious note, quite often the best CEO for the job is not necessarily experienced in the Nitty gritty of that company. That's what the people under them are for. Their best attribute is to make the hard decisions, find new directions or acquisitions. Sometimes making workers redundant.  If they can do all that for Qantas,  it wouldn't matter if they'd never set foot inside a plane, let alone fly one. 

Richard Branson was a good example. He started a record label, video games label, airline. He didn't have experience in those things. He surrounded himself with people who did.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

A guy I knew who rose from being a crane driver at the docks and finally heading a big company in the motor industry, attributed his success not to what he personally knew, but his ability to steer those around him to get the best from them.

He claimed it was so important to also have respect and keep staff happy. You are only one guiding individual, and if the rest of the working team is happy in their work, a lot is achieved and profit follows. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

A good CEO keeps worker morale up and keeps the clients happy - and thereby makes good profits and keeps the banks, finance houses and shareholders happy.

But the current crop of CEO's are taught the American way - shaft the employees to add a dollar to the bottom line, treat the customers like the wood ducks they are - have no empathy for any employee who displays loyalty - and continue to ensure that pay rises of senior executives far exceed the pay rises of the employees.

And if it's necessary, simply fire thousands of employees without even a thank you, or a kind word. Monetary Greed rules in their closeted world, and everything and everyone has to kow-tow to those Great Gods - massive ROI, and huge Profits.

I'll wager if detailed studies were carried out, most CEO's and senior executives would be classed as sociopaths.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, danny_galaga said:

On a serious note, quite often the best CEO for the job is not necessarily experienced in the Nitty gritty of that company. That's what the people under them are for. Their best attribute is to make the hard decisions, find new directions or acquisitions. Sometimes making workers redundant.  If they can do all that for Qantas,  it wouldn't matter if they'd never set foot inside a plane, let alone fly one. 

Richard Branson was a good example. He started a record label, video games label, airline. He didn't have experience in those things. He surrounded himself with people who did.

Branson's Biography is worth the read,
awesome mindset. each company is its own business, just shares an initial source of investment and branding. that way if one thing fails it doesn't domino.
and the idea of being the peoples champion, find out what people want and meet that expectation. especially if its an industry that has high customer dissatisfaction (phones, banks etc..)

the story behind virgin Australia is great,

One of his executives who he had success with left and returned to family in Australia, drawing a basic business plan on a napkin over dinner.
(really wanted to foster the culture of people bringing him ideas. and ensured that anyone who left was on good terms to contact him as a partner if they saw a future opportunity)
He had enough trust to let let him run it, all. from memory it was a small initial investment of 1 million dollars? literally the smallest amount possible, as they leased everything in the beginning.
Branson calls it his best investment decision.

• Informative 1

To play devil's advocate, if you are an investor in the airline business and invested in QANTAS when Joyce started his tenure, you would be hard pressed to find a CEO that has delivered better results (even in the dips). I am sure someone will find an airline or two that have, on relative terms performed better, but I did a quick look across the main international US, Europe and SE Asian airlines as well as a NASAQ Airline Index and the QANTAS graph looked good against most (JAL had a bumper time in the early 2010's when everyone else faltered a bit).

Wasn't it Warren Buffet who said he has a decidated 1-800 number he calls whenever he thinks about investing in an airline to counsel him out of it.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Airlines have always been a risk filled Investment. High Cash flow and low profit per$ of cash flow. Critical you don't operate 1/2 empty aeroplanes. Joyce made some large mistakes/ errors of judgement. The company is now less respected than ever in  it's history due to ONE person alone. Now  it's "JUST  another Airline" with some worn out planes and not trusted as it was.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

To play devil's advocate, if you are an investor in the airline business and invested in QANTAS when Joyce started his tenure, you would be hard pressed to find a CEO that has delivered better results (even in the dips). I am sure someone will find an airline or two that have, on relative terms performed better, but I did a quick look across the main international US, Europe and SE Asian airlines as well as a NASAQ Airline Index and the QANTAS graph looked good against most (JAL had a bumper time in the early 2010's when everyone else faltered a bit).

Wasn't it Warren Buffet who said he has a decidated 1-800 number he calls whenever he thinks about investing in an airline to counsel him out of it.

Yep..no one invests in airlines now. I certainly don't. I don't know what can be done about it. I just know I don't want my money tied up in them while they figure it out...