New registrations

THAT change was long anticipated.  We are numbers anyhow. It won't herald the sky falling in.  Good to know and you will be less confused when you hear it. You only get the Bit after VH anyhow unless you are an overseas flight. Nev

A 9+ month old newsflash?

There are still plenty of alphas, I think the pool is increasing actually as aircraft de-register for various reasons.

2anything is not an available mark,yet. Hope the paint has not dried yet.

8___ only to date (as an initial CASA move to get the program underway) and Xnumber__

In other breaking news, Amelia Earhart is missing.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, 440032 said:

There are still plenty of alphas, I think the pool is increasing actually as aircraft de-register for various reasons.

It used to be that once issued, a call sign was never re-issued after the original aircraft was struck off and dismantled. It is sensible to re-issue from an administrative viewpoint, but makes historical research a pain.

Going straight to the primary registration source (CASA), although their latest data is 1 month old now (usually is updated each Monday). There are 70 8__ regos and 9 X#_

Tracing is harder when the plane is registered in another country. Plenty of aircraft get registered in 5 or many more countries. Compared to that re-use is not a problem. It's ALL here. VH TAA was on a new DC4 in 1947 and the first Airbus A-300B4 in 1981.  Nev

Does "Northern Australia" double for "Northern Territory" because there is no such named region. AFAIK Northern Australia contains all of NT and QLD & WA above 26 deg South. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

State boundaries are JUST a line on a map.. North in Australia is closer to the equator and therefore hotter etc  East and West has meaning to most educated people but Going West can mean you've carked it.  The earth turns towards the EAST.   Nev

• Like 2

My C152's VH call sign used to be on a DC3 Airlines of NSW in the 1960's.  There was a recent CASA appeal to de-register any call signs for planes not in use, to free up existing call signs, but there's no incentive to do that (no annual fee to save etc) and a big dis-incentive if you decided to re-register - eg go to RAAus and then try to go back to VH.

Edited by FlyingVizsla

3 hours ago, FlyingVizsla said:

My C152's VH call sign used to be on a DC3 Airlines of NSW in the 1960's. 

What is your current C152's call sign. I'm wondering which DC-3 it came off.

5 hours ago, facthunter said:

The last  circumstance is difficult for servicing continuity reasons.   Nev

The 152 will have the same LAME maintenance in RAAus if group g ever gets airborne. The same aircraft logbook will continue on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

There have been a few photos of new aircraft with numeric VH- registrations popping up on Facebook, like this Global 7500, VH-8LA.

VH-8LA.thumb.jpg.d3872fb828a329ba0438629f42cf3606.jpg