My spies tell me Jabiru has been sold

Yes but with IT people you'd double that.  I've met a LOT of pilots. Pleasing them would be a good definition of the Impossible. Some of them  I respect greatly because THEY KNOW what actually goes on up the front.  Nev

I AM OLD & STIFF .

What make of EV will suit me .

All I have seen are low sedan type . The one I sat in ( passenger) was a new Tesla 3 .

It seemed high enough,  but the ' racked windscreen. ',  still made it difficult to enter & exit.

Hence My preference for the OLD gas guzzlers .

As for caravan's it's definitely a life style.  A person with two ' large dogs ' will pay a fortune for air travel,  then will pay even more for a " dog friendly " hotel .

Easily fixed with a two bed ( one bed for dogs ) , caravan.  

Anyone been to Canberra's " dog show  "  or any other state capital dog event .

I have seen $ 000s given for a dog friendly house just for that Canberra dog show .

See ' our ' " Irish Setter " on the " pal dog food can .

Australian Champion 

( not mine but family).

So my daughter now tows her " dog friendly '' caravan around Australia. 

spacesailor

• Informative 1

12 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Earlier on you argued for the Opposite case and proposed  a new topic be created..It does need a tidy up. Can't the content be transferred over?  The longer it goes on like this the sillier it looks. Pilots are supposed to be good at making the right decisions.  Nev

I didn't propose it, I just said I agreed with it because it's neat, but some of the very best threads on this site, have evolved just like this one.

You got what you wanted and there's an EV thread on the other site where you can go for your life.

My reply to the " Caravan " thread .

Some people do try to keep out of the Speedsters way . Who can be very ' arrogant ' when stuck behind a caravan's " legal speed limit " .

See ! more " bureaucracy " in the speeds for different vehicles. 

spacesailor

PS  neither Jabiru nor EV cars.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I only suggested it for the good of the site. You are good at avoiding the "essence" of the issue. Your suggestion solves NOTHING. It means you're happy to split the discussion to suit your agenda.Nev

You got your answer, you've got your thread you can say all that over there.

• Caution 1

38 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

you can't directly get from airpower, which is the power required just to push the wind out of the way to fuel consumption there are other factors such as aerodynamic coefficient

The aerodynamic coefficient IS the measure of the power required to "push the air out of the way" or move through the air. If you are measuring air resistance it is the useful measurement.

For aircraft it is relatively simple... remember all that stuff from theory about best rate of climb, best glide, minimum sink, the drag curve and the changes with weight? All the information is already known. And we use most of the energy already - we don't generally have air brakes so there isn't wasted energy to capture from regeneration.

The problem is the increase in power required to keep you aloft as weight increases. That's a weight squared relationship, so things get worse quickly as weight increases. And battery chemistry has hard limits on the energy that can be stored per kg for each combination of elements.

So I am not optimistic about useful electric aircraft.

• Agree 1

They could easily be the most reliable and easy to manage. Early in the ab initio stage more than 50 minute sessions is not good value anyhow. . IF you are waiting in line you could just switch off the motor and reduce your chance of running forward as well.  They will have their Place..  Nev

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, aro said:

The aerodynamic coefficient IS the measure of the power required to "push the air out of the way" or move through the air. If you are measuring air resistance it is the useful measurement.

We have to supply both flat front and with aero kits to save fuel (=reduce airpower demand), so we have two coefficients, flat, and Aero based on an aerodynamic test just like an aircraft. We test the aero kit in place for its coefficient. For a car we would need its coefficient for its specification to do what you were trying to do.

These figures are enough to make it clear there is an exponential difference in power demand as the speed increases, so more fuel is consumed on the suburban and Highway cycles, and we can expect the same trend lines on electric, so we need to focus on the parts of a circuit which demand more power and possibly even change the orientation of the rectangle.

1 hour ago, aro said:

For aircraft it is relatively simple... remember all that stuff from theory about best rate of climb, best glide, minimum sink, the drag curve and the changes with weight? All the information is already known. And we use most of the energy already - we don't generally have air brakes so there isn't wasted energy to capture from regeneration.

Yes

1 hour ago, aro said:

The problem is the increase in power required to keep you aloft as weight increases. That's a weight squared relationship, so things get worse quickly as weight increases. And battery chemistry has hard limits on the energy that can be stored per kg for each combination of elements.

Yes, has to be resolved.

1 hour ago, aro said:

So I am not optimistic about useful electric aircraft.

Which is why I've been asking the question "If the government is not forcing it, why would you?

This is the only thread with a lot of activity in a long time, let-it-run, i say.

For old and moldy the Tesla Model Y is a great choice, like a model 3 but higher off the grond so the seat height is say 200 mm higher and plenty of headroom also. I have about 150 mm above my head and i am 186cm tall (6'2").  You seem to fall into the seat reather than drop into it because its high and easy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spacesailor said:

UNTILL  that stiff  '  back ' makes your head bump the door arch, because of the racked windscreen. 

spacesailor

I dont seem to have a problem unless your getting in from the rear vision position, at the other end it as big or bigger than other SUV type vehicles imo.

Maybe you need to get in like its an aircraft with small doors..  Head first ?

42 minutes ago, Carbon Canary said:

I notice that we're paying for that.

Interesting that people use words like "de-carbonising" when for every atom of Carbon we eliminate, we also eliminate two atoms of oxygen.

Edited by turboplanner

23 minutes ago, facthunter said:

CO2 is a compound .  Carbon exists in 3 forms called allotropes. Where does CO2 come into this "elimination" concept? What do you mean by eliminate?.  Nev

I'm saying the word "de-carbonisation" is misleading. That would mean getting rid of Carbon [C] which isn't doing any harm.

If you go to the site under Technology they explain what they do and how they supply product to people who eliminate CO2 emissions.