My spies tell me Jabiru has been sold

WS00275.pdf Here's some information as of two days ago on a Hydrogen refuelling station for HICE.

These are the vehicles the Chief Engineer of Toyota was talking about, where the technology allows ICE car and truck platforms to use the existing ICE tooling, so a much simpler otion available much faster.

Note the size of it - too big for just an extra pump at a petrol/diesel road house, so Infrastrucure is a factor in a future of ICE as it is with EV where people so far have been telling us they were able to pull in to a petrol/diesel roadhouse and thier car was charged while having lunch. There are already stories out there about queues and broken chargers, but the big elephant in the room is that if there was a big take up of EV, even with the 30 minute charging that's being boasted about, the real estate footprint of a roadhouse trying to park the same number of cars which will take up the charge point from half an hour to several hours in not viable where the existing footprint copes with an average 5 minutes per fill of petrol.

Infrastructure killed LNG and that was just a small conversion.

Edited by turboplanner
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

HeyCarbon Canary, that SiBox sure is interesting; but I'm pretty sure a gram of SiBox weighs more than a gram of lead! 😛

I thought drag coefficient was a convenient equivalence, based upon the ratio of the maximum cross-section of the body in question, to the area of a flat plate of negligible thinkness which would create the same turbulent (accelerated) wake; except in the case of an airfoil, which is irrelevant to car design...

Road vehicle power requirements are generally considered to be the sum of the fluid dynamic drag, the rolling resistance, and any effective acceleration/deceleration due to slope or pilot input. The efficiency of the powerplant per powerplant is a seperate issue.

46.5MJ/kg is the target for batteries, and we ain't there yet...

9 hours ago, turboplanner said:

I notice that we're paying for that.

Interesting that people use words like "de-carbonising" when for every atom of Carbon we eliminate, we also eliminate two atoms of oxygen.

I am blown away at the intellectual sophistry to make such a comment.

Having a science background was clearly a waste of 40 years of study and in-depth interest.

I could just shove my brain in the bin and give up now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, facthunter said:

CO2 is a compound .  Carbon exists in 3 forms called allotropes. Where does CO2 come into this "elimination" concept? What do you mean by eliminate?.  Nev

Actually, there are so many allotropes of carbon, they are divided into classes.

4 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Not everyone needs to know the intricacies of everything. You are doing the "straw man" thing again.. Nev

Well correct me if I'm wrong but I could swear someone brought "allotropes" into the CO2 discussion, 

two allotropes of carbon, for example being diamond and graphite.

I'm smart enough to know when comparing ICE's CO2 emission and EV Zero Emission, that the ICE engine is not spitting diamonds.

37 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

Well correct me if I'm wrong but I could swear someone brought "allotropes" into the CO2 discussion, 

two allotropes of carbon, for example being diamond and graphite.

I'm smart enough to know when comparing ICE's CO2 emission and EV Zero Emission, that the ICE engine is not spitting diamonds.

But not smart enough to consider the obvious.

Strawmen are made of carbon,nitrogen, phosphorus, oxygen and utter bullshit arguments.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, onetrack said:

We need more Duramold construction aircraft? And here was me, thinking that Duramold had been made obsolete by carbon fibre and Kevlar?

Any wood/phenolic material cured under heat and pressure, exhibits a fatigue limit, unlike any Carbon or Boron/Epoxy. Also, it is not susceptible to post-impact fatigue, unlike etc.

Check out the TC'd "Micarta" prop for Bonanzas...

ANYway, that there Goose has a big negative carbon footprint, AND is big enough to lay a coupla acres of solar cells on top... how Green do you want???

15 hours ago, kgwilson said:

It was a pretty lame goose. That's the only flight it ever made & that was its maximum altitude.

Banned from flight by Congress, I believe... Hughes took it off anyway. remember, this is the era of NACA being directed by Presidential decree to re-evaluate the Burnelli UB-14 and downgrade their original findings, because the major financial backer supported a political opponent of Rooseveldt...

• Informative 1

21 hours ago, Litespeed said:

I am blown away at the intellectual sophistry to make such a comment.

Having a science background was clearly a waste of 40 years of study and in-depth interest.

I could just shove my brain in the bin and give up now.

you are that intelligent. a man of science yet completely close your mind to nuclear energy and all the research going on to improve it.

• Informative 1

17 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Say you end up with 5 nuclear plants here. How much trouble is it to Knock out all of them? Look how Putin is threatening the whole world with the big one in Ukraine. Nev

That's a pretty far fetched reason to not have nuclear. The same can be done with any power station. And if you do a bit searching you will find the latest designs under development are quite different to whats out there now.

But I should add a disclaimer.

I don't know much about anything,I just read what I can .

Edited by BrendAn
  • Informative 1

Far fetched you think? Solar arrays are hard to wipe out enough for the attempt to be worthwhile/ Only Nuclear spreads the degree of poison that makes it a really good idea from the attackers view point, really.  You wouldn't be able to go near the Area for years. Look at the cost of  power  from nuclear and the time to build one

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Far fetched you think? Solar arrays are hard to wipe out enough for the attempt to be worthwhile/ Only Nuclear spreads the degree of poison that makes it a really good idea from the attackers view point, really.  You wouldn't be able to go near the Area for years. Look at the cost of  power  from nuclear and the time to build one

we are in australia not eastern europe.  things have come a long way since the first nuclear power stations . 

you can't even tell me what will replace coal for industrial power. its not solar or wind.

maybe hydro but thats pretty limited in australia.

• Informative 2

The only thing I can see in my crystal ball is that our power/energy sources will become a lot more fractured/diverse in the next couple of decades - and that's not a bad thing. 

Nuclear power stations means we're putting a lot of eggs into one big basket.

• Like 1

Solar is SO cheap here and plentiful. that we could use it to produce hydrogen or concentrate it to achieve otherwise unachievable temperatures. with NO nasties.. One sub with 5 warheads is all it takes  to end the Power stations We don't have to be IN Europe to have the lot knocked out in one go.. Plenty of ways to store energy.  A Funicular railway, Big flywheel  Pump Hydro. Batteries are instant. Changing output on a nuclear plant ISN'T. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1