Clamping no.3 top water elbow

Marty_d

Hey folks, looking for tips and tricks to get the spring clamp on the no. 3 cylinder top coolant elbow.

This bastard is under the carb manifold and there's no room for the spring pliers (bent elbow type) to fit. The electrical box thingy is also in the way.

I don't really want to disassemble the stuff at the top of the engine to get at this - is there an easier way??

Thanks,  Marty

8 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Hey folks, looking for tips and tricks to get the spring clamp on the no. 3 cylinder top coolant elbow.

This bastard is under the carb manifold and there's no room for the spring pliers (bent elbow type) to fit. The electrical box thingy is also in the way.

I don't really want to disassemble the stuff at the top of the engine to get at this - is there an easier way??

Thanks,  Marty

Hi Marty. The end caps on the pliers can be swapped over, if that helps (just held on with small circlips) also it may help to turn the spring clamp round the other way, although I assume you have tried that. 

• Like 1

The proper tool can be a bit awkward but a pair of flat blade pliers or even better a  modified to suit cheap long nose vice grip, will probably do the job for you.

Depending on access/angle  - multi grip wrench may also help.

Good luck and let us know what your ultimate solution is 🙃.

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Like 1

One way this and other tricky jobs on aircraft can be done is with lock wire. Open the clamp in a vise, lock wire open, slide into position, cut lock wire. Workes on P clamps as well.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 2

16 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

One way this and other tricky jobs on aircraft can be done is with lock wire. Open the clamp in a vise, lock wire open, slide into position, cut lock wire. Workes on P clamps as well.

Yep, absolutely agree; works a treat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thruster88 said:

That's a great idea.  The pliers actually ratchet closed to lock open the spring,  so I'll try that.

Yes, that’s them. Rotax recommend them in their maintenance manual. I almost gave up on that clamp with the standard pliers and was on the point of going to buy a set when I managed to get it installed.

Edited by rgmwa

Well, I think it's going to be Nev' s solution, another type of clamp for that 1 elbow.

Not sure why Rotax didn't just extend the elbow so you had clear space to put the hose on, everyone has to do this every 5 years so seems like a design flaw to me.

• Like 1

I couldn't recommend any of those Horusdy tools. They brag their tools are "professional" quality. They're the finest low grade Chinese tool quality.

I bought a set of their NPT thread taps, and they look like they were knocked up by the rice paddy planters during their Friday afternoon coffee break.

• Informative 2

12 hours ago, rgmwa said:

Lock wiring and then slipping it on might be worth trying. I’ve done it on Adel clamps but didn’t think of it when I was doing the hoses.

Nope - going to just use a good quality normal hose clamp on that one (bolt style, EFI type if I can get it in that size).  Two evenings wasted on it is enough.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

On 23/08/2023 at 10:15 PM, Marty_d said:

Well, I think it's going to be Nev' s solution, another type of clamp for that 1 elbow.

Not sure why Rotax didn't just extend the elbow so you had clear space to put the hose on, everyone has to do this every 5 years so seems like a design flaw to me.

From Rotax point of view it's fine- went together easily enough in the factory, what do they care if it's hard for someone else to remove 😄

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1