Help with OzRunways - playing with it.

I have just started my free trial.

Alas the videos are sometimes not matching what I am seeing.

So sorry, could I ask for help here?

For now I'll stick to OzRunways before I take on the other one.

First question:   How do I save flight plans?

I want to enter a few to learn how to do it so I can experiment with that part for now.

I have just re-installed OZrunways after 3 years and I'm not impressed. It has become so complicated that it is now a destraction while flying. I can't download just the maps I need (Qld) and it is clogging up my iPad memory.

Flight plans are the little squiggly line bottom right (in map mode). Then give it a name and find your departure & destination (ICAO code). They seem to save automatically. With the new version, it becomes a fight with your finger to enter the waypoints correctly.

I'll be looking at alternate options once this subscription expires. I have contacted OZrunways and told them that it is too complicated for RAAus weekend flyers and to give us a simpler version (best one is from about 3-4 years ago), but got brushed off.

Ok, thanks.

I am very new to this and last played with it a LONG time ago...   Like a LONG TIME ago.

I didn't really use it then either, but as EFB's are becoming the norm....   I need to get up to speed with them.

48 minutes ago, pluessy said:

I have just re-installed OZrunways after 3 years and I'm not impressed. It has become so complicated that it is now a destraction while flying. I can't download just the maps I need (Qld) and it is clogging up my iPad memory.

Flight plans are the little squiggly line bottom right (in map mode). Then give it a name and find your departure & destination (ICAO code). They seem to save automatically. With the new version, it becomes a fight with your finger to enter the waypoints correctly.

I'll be looking at alternate options once this subscription expires. I have contacted OZrunways and told them that it is too complicated for RAAus weekend flyers and to give us a simpler version (best one is from about 3-4 years ago), but got brushed off.

You can go to the Maps (above the bottom band, left side look above there are three icons; tap the right one) That will open the Maps list; tap VFR box top right, then individually select what you want eg VTC etc.   I just download Hybrid VFR from the earlier screen.  Learn to use it as it is great for VFR. don't give up.  Cheers.

• Like 1

Yes, it IS too complicated. We have courses run at our club every now and then to make sure folks are up to date. Like a lot of things these days, new technology meets old age and gnashing of teeth and swearing results.

This link might help 

Edited by Jabiru7252
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, pluessy said:

I have contacted OZrunways and told them that it is too complicated for RAAus weekend flyers and to give us a simpler version (best one is from about 3-4 years ago), but got brushed off.

Not only RAAus.. a friend of mine (fATPL) is also struggling with planning and uses Naips directly instead of OzRwys.

Interestingly, I don't see much topics asking for help from AvPlan users?

Oz runways is as complicated as you want, or as simple as you want.

Good for flight planning, and handy to have a tablet around for various pre flight tasks. 

ATM, I just use it as a fancy moving map GPS box , and to display other traffic via Skyecho. In fact, that's probably its primary use because the common 300-400nm routes I fly I don't need a map or a GPS...

Load up every map /download when you get it. It doesnt use much memory of a modern tablet.  

Set up for download overnight / manual data download  so it doesnt chew up data when you are using it.

LIS, I have a WIFI version, and hotspot my phone to the tablet when it  needs internet- usually preflight/planning.

• Like 1

As RF Guy said it's as complicated as you want it. I have always flown A to B in a straight line, Oz runways works for me. I declutter the screen and only use a small percentage of it's capacity, good for basic navigation and radio frequencies. 

It does stay workable when the signals limited or being disrupted. Certified GPS drop out, Foreflight keeps going a bit longer but Oz runways keeps going. 

Ok, so another question has come to mind:

The ipad I have has its own GPS.

Do I need to also have internet connection WHILE flying?

Another question:

I worked out what the "CP" is/was I saw on my flight plan.

But I am not clear where I set the altitudes for the legs I have.

For instance:   YSHL  - YGLB - Braidwood  OZBAO- YCOM.

I'd include a screen shot, but there are other complications.

I am seeing an "alert" for hills.

One just before YGLB

I've set the altitude for that leg at A085.

The hill is saying 2,953.   That is a long way from A085.

What am I missing?

Completely OFF TOPIC question on the tablet.

I turn it on - from being OFF, not just standby.

Lovely blurred background.

You have to enter password.

A text area to enter they password.

And NO KEYBOARD.

If I tap on the screen, nothing happens.  No keyboard, nada.

If I tap in the text box area, I get a popup "Scan text".

The only way I can get the keyboard is to put the tablet to sleep and wake it up again.

Seems a bit stupid.

Again:  What am I missing?

Is there any chance that it is more than the program that is giving you grief?

Some of the questions that you are asking are very basic so it seems that computers and or tablets/IPads/androids may not be a thing that you use much on a daily basis.

if this is the case you will struggle with any flight planning software as there is no silver bullet unless you have some background foundation in technology.

You can print off or save the tutorials so that may be very helpful for you to become more familiar with OzRunways or any other program you choose.

As for the program being to complicated lest remember that it has developed as a result of input from users request for improvements.

Hang in there as it is a great product that has helped me out on many occasions.

You can also find tutorials on YouTube explaining different components of the benefits of the program.

Good luck 

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

All ipads are coming from the factory with gps and wifi, but not all models are coming with 4G/5G cellular modem (e.g. same as mobile phones), hence significant difference in pricing.

My experience with basic ipad (no cellular) was very poor GPS reception even when external GPS dongle was used plus connected to the phone hotspot.

I know the 4g/5g towers are used to improve gps precision, but either they have installed very poor gps chip, or they are purposely degrading the gps data on non-cellular models. Apple (and others too) have done similar in the past.

I gave up and ended up buying an expensive gps+cellular ipad mini.

My Samsung A8 tablet  internal GPS works fine, providing the orientation is in portrait mode up.  (this is important !!!!). do not need internet en route. 

allow 10 minutes to get GPS though. 

On 13/10/2023 at 6:49 PM, Blueadventures said:

You can go to the Maps (above the bottom band, left side look above there are three icons; tap the right one) That will open the Maps list; tap VFR box top right, then individually select what you want eg VTC etc.   I just download Hybrid VFR from the earlier screen.  Learn to use it as it is great for VFR. don't give up.  Cheers.

That's what I did, after I uninstalled the whole caboodle as it used up all the memory and locked up. They just assume that you have the latest 128Gb iPad instead of giving you the option of downloading only what you need, in the "Download" screen instead of the backdoor.

Stupid Apple,

I can't remember which of the many passwords it is.

The one you enter if/when you power it up from being turned off.

IF IT HAS LETTERS IN IT, the keyboard is NOT PUT ON THE  DISPLAY!

But if it is ONLY NUMBERS, you get the keypad to enter the numbers.

That is an hour and a half of my life I won't get back.

Ozrunways isn't too bad.

I'm just stuck with how to save the flightplans so I can make a "library" of them to use when I need.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, flying dog said:

I'm just stuck with how to save the flightplans so I can make a "library" of them to use when I need.

Can’t help you with that one, FD. All my plans are listed when I hit the Plans icon in the bottom RH corner of the screen.

How to make a library of them? Maybe contact OzRunways- they are very receptive to suggestions and feedback.

@Old Koreelah

Could you elaborate on that?

I see the icon/button you mean - I think.

But all that is is the "start flight plan" button.    Not a "The flight plan is now complete and I want to save it.

Seems I will have to get a dropbox account to use some of the features.

1 hour ago, dlegg said:

Has anyone found that the altitude is accurate using an ipad with ozrunways but always reads 100 ft higher with a samsung phone or tablet?

I haven't seen it read altitude higher on a Samsung/Android tablet/phone - can you provide an authoritative link? Maybe the iPads read low.