Archerfield storm damage 15/12/2023

WWW.ABC.NET.AU

South-east Queensland was rocked by a severe storm last night, with winds felt in Brisbane's south akin to that of a category three cyclone.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, turboplanner said:

It seems tying down your own aircraft is not enough these days.

My mistake. Channel 9 footage tonight shows the top aircraft from the other side with a tie down chain still firmly attached to a wing and the ground cable ripped out. Wind speed was 169 km/hr.

1 hour ago, Kiwi said:

Cable snapped.

That ain't gonna be a cheap fix. And their insurer's gonna have fun with that assigning liability to the airport for failing to ensure the tiedowns were adequately maintained!

• Like 1

Archerfield seems to be susceptible to storms like that! Sorry if this is thread drift but bear with me! A lot of years ago I broke a Skyfox. I thought I had put the pin through the spar after unfolding the wings, but in fact on the left wing I had missed the hole. I pushed down on the tail to swing the aeroplane around and the wing then swung back and not only nearly broke my arm, but broke one of the aileron hangers. I had to drive to Caloundra to get the repair kit and then spent the best part of a week repairing it. It was then put back on the flightline where the owner kept it, because according to Skyfox, although it was fabric it could be safely tied down outdoors! Absolute bullshit! A week or so later Archerfield was hit by a storm and the aeroplane not only had so many holes in it that you would think it had been machine-gunned but was tipped upside down, despite being tied down, it was virtually destroyed! Really don’t know what happened to it after that?

• Informative 1

11 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Is the airfield liable for the cables? The two airfields I have had parking at provided the tiedown points/blocks, but it was up toi us to provide the cables..

The cable that's snapped looks to be part of the airport infrastructure, I can't imagine it being a users responsibility to provide the heavy steel cable that let go. Certainly though, it's the aircraft owners responsibility to provide the tackle to lash the aircraft to that heavy steel cable.

• Informative 2

That makes me wonder whether, if the airfield operators are deemed responsible for the cable breaking, they will completely remove the cables and leave the responsibility to owners to use ground screws or whatever for their tie downs?

18 minutes ago, derekliston said:

That makes me wonder whether, if the airfield operators are deemed responsible for the cable breaking, they will completely remove the cables and leave the responsibility to owners to use ground screws or whatever for their tie downs?

some airports now won't let you use ground screws because it damages the surface and if they are not removed they interfere with lawnmowers and are too much of a liability for the operator.  Somebody might even stump their toe on one and sue the council. 

When I travel I take self-inflating concrete blocks, they look really heavy !

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BUNKR-Build-Your-Own-Battlezone-Inflatable-Concrete-Block-for-Blaster-Battles/181932666

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, derekliston said:

Chyeck whether the insurance excludes an "act of God"

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, facthunter said:

And do you reckon "ACT of God" should be a serious concept when you are paying for "loss and Damage" cover?  Nev

It is a formal Insurance term.

Edited by turboplanner
  • Agree 1

That can't be discussed? You didn't answer my question either. You always end up saying "read what's on the form" That doesn't provide any  SOLUTION to the problem. ACT of God.!!  Are we in the dark ages?   Nev

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, derekliston said:

I took this question seriously.

If you were serious, here's a legal explanation of Act of God.

https://www.armstronglegal.com.au/commercial-law/national/tort-law/acts-of-god

You then have to look at the parking contract.

• Like 1