737 Max 9 loses door in flight

Because girl power....

its amazing how much the "you go girl" "yas slay queen" attitude is around, for any job that isn't "ordinary" with a women.

wait till you hear about "Tunnel Girl" and her supporters - just because she wears a dress and pearls

Edited by spenaroo

It only had to descend 4,000 ft in the USA. You practice this stuff in  the simulator so why would it be difficult?   There would be some concern about structural integrity and whether anyone had been injured Nev

• Informative 1

52 minutes ago, facthunter said:

It only had to descend 4,000 ft in the USA. You practice this stuff in  the simulator so why would it be difficult?   There would be some concern about structural integrity and whether anyone had been injured Nev

Apparently it was difficult due to headsets, checklist folders etc. etc. being blown clean away in the explosive decompression followed by the scramble to don masks amid the chaos (presumably SOP, even from 16,000'),  So this would explain the first incoherent words on frequency but then it seems only seconds after that big (dusty, foggy) bang (hard to emulate in the sim, I guess) that they'd settled into clear professional comms and did what they had to do.  I'd imagine it was not easy.

• Informative 1

For decompressions the crew have to don  demand oxymasks and check oxygen flow and Mics working and doing PA's in that situation is not high fidelity. They also have to declare the descent to ATC so other traffic can be dealt with. EMERGENCY items are MEMORY. There's no time to read from checklists. The fog is from adiabatic cooling and would be much worse at higher levels where the pressure change is larger. Fog can be simulated in SOME simulators for things like Elecrical Smoke or fire 2which also requires Masks be donned.  Nev

• Informative 2

I see that Dave Calhoun the Boeing CEO has admitted Boeing f***ed up again. He should have been rolled after the Max 8 MCAS disaster as he was one of the major executives responsible for Boeings profit over engineering philosophy back in 2018-19. I don't think anything will really change. Boeing, like GM is considered "Too big to fail" an American ICON and the USAs biggest export earner. Government contracts will continue to keep the gravy train running so they will say the right things and keep on doing what they have always been doing.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-10/boeing-ceo-acknowledges-errors-made-following-panel-blowout/103306160

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, RFguy said:

SO, what are these "bolts found to be loose on other aircraft" that we are hearing about ?

Be good to hear more info as the loose bolts in some instance could still be considered satisfactory secured.

• Like 1

The loose bolts found on the United 737 Max's are not the ones that prevent the door plug from moving up (the ones that so far can't be found)  but the bolts that actually held the hinge assembly on to the door. This explained from around 5:25 in Juan Brownes latest youtube clip.

• Informative 1

I've been dressing my split pins wrong all these years; I'll never get a job at Boing.  (Yep 'e' left out on purpose.)

May need some loctite?

Max 9 loose bolts.jpg

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, facthunter said:

For decompressions the crew have to don  demand oxymasks and check oxygen flow and Mics working and doing PA's in that situation is not high fidelity. They also have to declare the descent to ATC so other traffic can be dealt with. EMERGENCY items are MEMORY. There's no time to read from checklists. The fog is from adiabatic cooling and would be much worse at higher levels where the pressure change is larger. Fog can be simulated in SOME simulators for things like Elecrical Smoke or fire 2which also requires Masks be donned.  Nev

Interestingly, there's a similar sequence of transmissions from this 737-800 crew from an incident in May 2023.  Flight AAL329 out of Miami also had a rapid decompression.  Their comms are, naturally, incoherent at first but soon come good, presumably after they've donned their masks and taken a few seconds to understand WTF just happened. Even then, their only communications priority is "On descent 10,000"    (After that, most of the discombobulation is back on earth. ;- )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtptbpDd_FU

Edited by Garfly
  • Informative 1

The "demand" oxygen masks are noisy and the microphone is part of them. A decompression is pretty good at telling you what happened. (Your ears feel the pressure change) You have to decide whether to use a high speed descent or slower AIRSPEED when structural damage may be involved..  Achievable ROD's are about 10,000 ft/min. At FL 160 there's NO rush. You probably don't even NEED the OXY masks  for that level and the short time you'll be there, but that's the rules and you do it. Nev

• Informative 2

Most people will be able to deal with 16,000 feet oxygen density for a short while with no ill effects. Super fit and specifically trained people and some Sherpas who live there have got to the top of Mt Everest at 29,000 feet without oxygen. Most people though would die though.

In my hang gliding days a friend went to the US and flew the Sierra Nevadas. Takeoff was at 9,000 feet & he wasn't planning on going higher than 12,000 so did not take oxygen. He got in to a wave and ended up over 20,000 feet. He told me he was worried about hypoxia and started thinking about the symptoms so began some tests like counting fingers etc. There were several checks he knew but could not remember them all. When he finally landed in Nevada it all came back to him. One of the major symptoms is "Loss of short term memory". He was definitely hypoxic but survived.

• Informative 1

42 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

Most people will be able to deal with 16,000 feet oxygen density for a short while with no ill effects. Super fit and specifically trained people and some Sherpas who live there have got to the top of Mt Everest at 29,000 feet without oxygen. Most people though would die though.

In my hang gliding days a friend went to the US and flew the Sierra Nevadas. Takeoff was at 9,000 feet & he wasn't planning on going higher than 12,000 so did not take oxygen. He got in to a wave and ended up over 20,000 feet. He told me he was worried about hypoxia and started thinking about the symptoms so began some tests like counting fingers etc. There were several checks he knew but could not remember them all. When he finally landed in Nevada it all came back to him. One of the major symptoms is "Loss of short term memory". He was definitely hypoxic but survived.

The skydive aircraft up this way go to 14,300 ft 

• Informative 1

Our jump club, about 20 people, managed to get a session in the Airforce (de) pressure chamber in Auckland years ago.
They took us all to 18,000ft, had us take off our masks, and the result was very pleasant, like being tipsy. Everyone was happy but lots of us couldn't now recall details from the simple briefing we had previously attended.

They then took us to 25,000ft and had us remove our masks, 2 at a time, while the rest of the group watched. The unmasked had to do simple repetitive subtractions (300 minus 7, minus 7 again etc), with regular physical checks that involved pausing the calculations and repeatedly touching their own nose then touching a finger held up in front of them (we had a couple of instructors in there with us). Most had trouble physically locating their own nose, and then accurately touching the finger. One got target fixation, insisted on continuing with this exercise and holding the instructor's wrist when he tried to take his finger away. For the most part we were told to put masks back on as our performance worsened after about 2 minutes of this. A couple didn't want to do this despite repeated commands (we all had on headsets), had to have their masks forcibly applied. And on the way back down, while the recovery is very rapid for most (with a sudden return of colour vision we hadn't noticed had faded) one continued into hypoxia, requiring oxygen and a lie down. There was also one, and a smoker at that, who had no trouble with the required exercises at 25,000ft and after a full 5 minutes was apparently entirely functional.

What came out of this for me is that our bodies generate absolutely no warning signs as hypoxia sets in...if anything, there is a sense that it's all going wonderfully well. So if in doubt, trim for descent (I believe that's right, but stand to be corrected).
And different people can be affected quite differently.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

The FAA has now grounded all 171 Max-9s indefinitely and announced tightening oversight of Boeing. Calhoun needs to go. I don't know how he even survived the MCAS debacle after the Max 8 crashes.

WWW.ABC.NET.AU

The Federal Aviation Administration said the continued grounding of the planes was for the safety of American travellers.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1