Beechcraft 35 Warren County Virginia 12/03/24

That's what I was taught to do in a forced landing involving trees, sheds, big rocks - concentrate on the gaps, break the wings off to slow you down.

Also I was taught the technique of forced landing into a canopy of big trees, but I've fogotten what it was.

These days I see a lot of posts using the term Outlanding which, with the glider's controls like air brakes, is quite a different experience to something with a heavy engine confusing the issue and a glide like a brick by comparison.

Edited by turboplanner
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, facthunter said:

You have to take both wings off at the same time or you are in strife.   Nev

Yes but better than hitting a tree with the nose.

The other thing I was taught was if you aren't going to stop before the fence, building, trees ground loop it.

About 15 years ago someone did that in a Jab; the Jab was too light to break the fence down but the wing collapsed until the fuselage hit the fence. The pilot got out with a broken arm.

• Informative 1

Ground looping (into wind) before you hit the fence is to prevent fencing wire cutting your throat. I wouldn't consider doing it for any other reason. The engine in  front of you is a good barrier.  If you have to land on top of trees do it at the slowest groundspeed you can without losing control. Low trees are better than tall ones. Less distance to fall.    Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1