RAA's annual air show

Anyone know why RAA's annual air show moved from:

• Narromine - Temora ?

• Temora - Parkes ?

Narromine was great, as was Temora.  Enjoyed both immensely. Very well patronised. Temora had the added bonus of the WW2 aircraft flying & on display. Narromine had a great atmosphere/"vibe"

Have never made it to Parkes - last effort, received a phone call mid flight advising, storm had come hours early, about to hit the airfield, I should return home. Had already noticed my ground speed had almost come to zero - seemed like jet speeds 💨when I turned for home.

May go to Parkes this year but underwhelmed by pilot briefing (https://raaus.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/Flyn-For-Fun-2024-Info-for-Pilots-7.pdf) compared with past events.  Somehow lacks enthusiasm.

Parkes is a RPT airfield, so ASIC supposed to be on display - do the public get an ASIC day pass?😈

No advice on ULP  - guess it will be like flying into any other "new" airfield.

5 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Anyone know why RAA's annual air show moved from:

Narromine - Temora ?

A couple of oversized egos and ambitions mixed up with their capabilities and the key person, probably the most valuable person in RAA, who was almost single-handedly responsible for the Narromine event walked away. NO ONE since has even been 5% as good as she was.

If you go through the old photos from around 2005 - 2010 you'll see what it used to be.

That could be recreated by either the same person or someone with the same outstanding skills.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Parkes is an expensive place to spend a few days at. Narromine's a natural for RAAus type planes.   There  must have been a reason to leave. I recall some friction with the Council.    Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I can't imagine how I'd get by without your sage advice, however I DID TRY to make a point take note. I thought that's why one comes here. Your statement of the obvious doesn't rate that highly, as essential information.  Nev

🤔 Rotax officianados recommend nothing below 1800rpm. No idea what Jabiru recommend; very seldom discussed. But Rotax gets plenty of idle discussion on idle speed! Not sure if this is related or answers the question but is probably enough to detract the conversation sideways for a while and eventually enter the subjective area of boeing 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

You can easily get  to the Point where the discussion has no purpose or direction on many of these matters. The first thing about an idle speed is that it must be reliable and NOT stall and cut out. You are meant to check THAT as you commence to Taxi.. . IF it's not reliable you return and FIX it. When you get pages of requirements  to satisfy about engine idling to me something is very wrong with the priorities. Think "AEROPLANE" and all the Important things THAT entails.  Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

2 minutes ago, Area-51 said:

Can anybody confirm the idle speed for electric powered aircraft? I keep coming up with "zero" ☹️

I think the Idle speed would be 17 rpm.

To help reduce thread drift;

No idea why it moved, but I've booked an underwing campsite 🎪

I was also undewhelmed by the pilot brief, it refers to information on the website that is not there.

I questioned RAAus on this and the response was;

"The site map will go live on the website this week, so please do keep a lookout on our website"

Word on the street is SAAA are leaving Narromine for greener pastures, the lease charges have seen to that……

• Informative 1

Rumor has it (no name 😎) that the ASIC/security requirements for Parkes airport, will somehow be miraculously waved for the three day event (12-14 April 2024).   

Presumably, this will mean that the proletariat (otherwise known as THE PUBLIC known / unknown to Gov security services) will be allowed to wander around all those tempting little aircraft, ripe for hijacking and flying to who knows what mischief.

Once again we have a demonstration of the irelavance & complete failure of ASIC (as applied to small regional airports). It's about time the whole stupid/irrelevant/ineffective/unenforceable scheme was permanently waved. 

FYI: Parkes Pilot Briefing - is supposed to be having more relevant/comprehensive information added before the event. With a little over two weeks to go,  I wonder how much notice may be given.

For fly-in pilots applying for a ticket;

It would appear that attendees on Friday (12th) do not have a box to tick, despite a later "... planned arrival" on the same day🙃

"What days will you be attending the event?
Saturday
Sunday

Are you flying in?
Yes - I am flying in
No

Are you interested in under-wing camping?
Yes
No

Fees and further information to be advised. 

When is your planned arrival?
Friday PM
Saturday AM
Saturday PM
Sunday AM"

• 2 weeks later...

RAA responded to my enquiry regarding UPL: uncertain about ULP availability on the field and vague about carrying fuel containers on the courtesy bus to from town.

These are the day by day things that should be got right but Lets go to OSHKOSH .It's more fun. Once fuel is in a drum other than a "proper' sealed 205 litre the quality control  Based on a Maintenance release concept is non existent I know of many examples of using wine cask bladders  by Individuals. to carry premix (or Other) in AUF days. I was never aware of unsafe outcomes with these improvised methods but it can have a bad look for those who have more formal arrangements PROVIDED for them as a matter of Course. For them "I don't HAVE a problem!. "YOU get your house in order'  Nev

Probably time expired.  Like we are. Your motor could run on LPG. or even town Gas. I don't really know what NATURALGAS is but that must be the best IF it's NATURAL.  Nev

1 hour ago, skippydiesel said:

RAA responded to my enquiry regarding UPL: uncertain about ULP availability on the field and vague about carrying fuel containers on the courtesy bus to from town.

Just put Avgas in the Rotax, That's what I do when no MoGas available.  If I was the organiser I would not allow fuel to be carried in a courtesy bus.

Edited by Blueadventures

' Natural gas '

Must be terrible As the Victorian government wants it banned  from all new houses.

But ' why ' change ' .

The cost of conversion will take any  " fuel cost  " savings away .

Almost anybody can afford three ltrs of super petrol a month .

And that biannual oil change , with ' motor oil . As opposed to aviation oil. 

Is " give-away " cheap .

Lets pretend. 

4 hours flying a week . 24 ltrs @ $ 2.00 , $ 48 a week fuel cost.

Could you fly for less . anywhere. 

spacesailor

12 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I don't really know what NATURALGAS is but that must be the best IF it's NATURAL.  Nev

It is compressed and looked like the new fuel for diesels for a while. Benders Bus Co at Geelong had 105 buses running on it; I did some test  runs for TNT. There was a 20% power loss in the same diesel engine and to prevent explosions the tank had to be manufactured for several thousand psi capacity. The refuelling infrastructure pumped from Natural Gas from the State pipeline and had to have the capacity to compress to the same pressure as the tank. The tank would sink any RA aircraft.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

Just put Avgas in the Rotax, That's what I do when no MoGas available.  If I was the organiser I would not allow fuel to be carried in a courtesy bus.

Your are accommodating chappy Blue.

Seems to me you miss the point. - Let me spell it out for you:

This event is the RAA's Annual Fly-In (a "flagship" event I   assume ??).

You are possibly unaware that RAA is an organisation for pilots, who fly aircraft, a great many of which are designed/recomend to operate on ULP.

A simple person , like myself, might expect that this preference for ULP, might be accommodated by such an organisation as RAA, for their most important annual event.

Interestingly other fly-ins, such as Clifton, Qld, Oz-Stol, NSW, run by volunteers (not salaried staff like RAA) manage to offer ULP, at their much smaller events - this would lead me to the question...........(I leaveit to you)?????

As for carrying fuel, in designated fuel containers, on a bus, or any vehicle - NSW has laws allowing the carriage of small quantities of fuel, however this is likely to be at the discretion of the driver/operator.

• Like 1