Chipmunk crash at Jandakot 29/04/24

How is a mayday call going to help in this situation? I've had quite a few engine failures never once used the radio just flew the plane. Often that's all you have time for.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

30 minutes ago, Teckair said:

How is a mayday call going to help in this situation? I've had quite a few engine failures never once used the radio just flew the plane. Often that's all you have time for.

I agree with you. But what's this about a mayday call? I didn't see that in the article. 

5 hours ago, Teckair said:

If you can make a mayday call in a calm voice will continuing to fly the aircraft (air speed) it might ensure fire and rescue will arrive in a timely manner.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, facthunter said:

"If" and "Might" but the prime aim is Aviate. Don't lose control of the plane. #1.    Nev

Damn straight. If there's an emergency, I'm aviating the hell out of that plane. Communicate is third on the list.

Still not sure how it relates to this news story though. Was there a mention of a distress call?

• Agree 1

On 01/05/2024 at 9:05 AM, turboplanner said:

That's two that didn't make the end of the runway in a month.

in the raa training we are taught to set up for landing quite a way and control the shallow descent with throttle. a couple of older pilots i have spoken to at the airfield reckon this was a bad way to land, they were trained by ag pilots to come in high and drop in on the runway so they can always make it if the engine fails. i am probably stirring the pot saying this but i can see the logic in it.

quite often coming in to land in the tecnam if it wasn't for a burst of throttle we would land short of the runway, just inexperience i guess.  

Not an expert here but I assume the design of the aircraft itself would have some impact on your regular angle of descent.  Drifter vs plastic fantastic, kind of thing.

• Like 1

IF you don't use power in gusts you are depriving yourself of  a very useful extra control. A motor idling is more likely to stall  than one at say 1/4 power  On a short strip for landing it's useful also.  Nev

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

in the raa training we are taught to set up for landing quite a way and control the shallow descent with throttle. a couple of older pilots i have spoken to at the airfield reckon this was a bad way to land, they were trained by ag pilots to come in high and drop in on the runway so they can always make it if the engine fails. i am probably stirring the pot saying this but i can see the logic in it.

quite often coming in to land in the tecnam if it wasn't for a burst of throttle we would land short of the runway, just inexperience i guess.  

I'm not an RAAus instructor, just a pilot.  My take is approach keeping best height until within glide approach; you can scrub height at lateish final with side slip.  Long shallow approaches are not allowing for an engine issue.  If circumstances are that your low and have an engine issue or failure, have alternate sites (best options) to land picked all the way in and don't ever think you can extend the glide.  Not meant to be instruction just my methods.  It's a bit like fighting a fire what you see; is what you have to deal with using your training, equipment and experience, their all different to some extent.

• Informative 1

If an idling motor cut out you generally would not  make the strip, either. On  a forced landing you should aim about 1/3rd down the strip to ensure you make the strip. Better to hit the far fence at walking speed than the near one at flying speed. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 02/05/2024 at 11:18 AM, danny_galaga said:

Damn straight. If there's an emergency, I'm aviating the hell out of that plane. Communicate is third on the list.

Still not sure how it relates to this news story though. Was there a mention of a distress call?

On a different sites it said there was a mayday call made.

• 2 weeks later...

Very sad! The Chippie is such a sweet bird...Yep most of the time I would not make the runway, I have done many glides, came second in the recent Yarram spot landing comp...but to me its an engine factor,  I try to avoid large temperature changes on my engine. I will admit more a concern for air cooled engines. The liquid cooled Rotax tends to have more stable temperatures and slower changes. Another factor is the Gazelle does not have flaps, so getting high on final is a factor. I don't like sideslipping unless I have to.