AVIATION AND MOTORCYCLES

Captain

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fred Bear

There's a few of us here isn't there? Good to see. Will have to get some of my old pics off 35mm onto here somehow...

Hi Guys And Gals,

It seems that there is a theme here when it comes to flying and bikes.I only came to Aus 16 or so years ago, and had the oppertunity to do some flying in Ireland before comming here.It was not uncommon to find out, in conversation, that quite a lot of flyers rode bikes, although many were not current riders.It seems that the sort of freedom we get from riding is not too far removed from that which we get from flying....although we don't get booked for speeding when flying!!!My current mount is a Suzuki DR650, although that may change soon.

lambadaman

Well it is clear that this Forum is well populated with old (and young) hoons, so that is good.

As I said to Turtle in a PM last night ... the older we get the faster we were. But that is a nice speedway shot Peter. Do you notice that we were all so much thinner then. I still have a set of Johnno's original leathers and can't even get one leg into 'em.

Cec ... the Short Circuit was at the Nepean Circuit at Castlereagh.

Keep those feet up P.A. ..... no dabs for you.

Seeing as we have drawn out the old pharts black and white box-brownie pics ..... I though that the following latest stuff from pit lane at the Phillip Island GP might be of interest. Not much has changed ... except for the speed, the chics and the money.

Regards to all

Captain

20061006_225950_PI_06_030.jpg.897d9b1b22b7c1047036ee1f48cb41de.jpg

20061006_230116_PI_06_025.jpg.281937161f305fc0f1aaae62cc2679ad.jpg

Thruster, back in the days you were a bit of an Ace if you let one hand off the bars in the air, now..................jezuz.

PA, I rekon you need knobbies on the Beta and maybe a seat.

Turtle, those 2 valve Jawa's would have to be one of the best looking bikes built.

And Captain, your right, the older I get the better I used to be. I could have been a contender, I could have been world champeen, all I needed was a pile of money, some skill would have helped too, maybe some guts, not be the big girl I am, not be afraid of getting scabs, and some good looks would have helped too. Apart from those minor points I could have been up there with the best.

Guest soul88

Had heaps up till i started my kit.

zxr750 - zzr1100 - zx7r x2 - gsxr750 96 - gsxr750 2000 - gsxr1000k1 - gsxr1000k2 - gsxr1000k3 - and heaps of trail stuff when i was younger. and 2 or 3 and any one time. i was bike mad...... miss it a little aswell, no bikes anymore

cheers

john

Guest Fred Bear

Thruster87, it was good to meet you today. Sorry I did not get to spend more time having a chat with firstly the flight in the Cheetah and then later on my coastal adventure down to Kiama in the Drifter. Hope you can make it up to us again soon enough and I can take you for a spin in the Jabiru. Looking forward to seeing your Thruster in the air too.;)

i might need a little help with these pics, i was given a pile of old photos by an old friends father, all i know is they were taken at Mt Panorama, Bathurst, i have no idea when, all i know is they are old, and are of Motorcycles, Sidecars and cars.

here are some of the pics...

And could this be the First ever in car shot taken while racing up Mountain straight??

[ATTACH]1126[/ATTACH]

Any Historians out there??

the rest of the pics are here if you wish to see them all.

http://pamuva1.smugmug.com/gallery/1983266/1

101105855-M.jpg.d4539336d5cb527832398d38aec743bf.jpg

101105871-M.jpg.06e5cce44977ab9a7161ac2fd2509801.jpg

101105911-M.jpg.08c9818f6532aa388c7b95bbfa4ac6a8.jpg

101105939-M.jpg.8084fd52103003c654faa144f1bc7fc2.jpg

101105949-M.jpg.eaded5ac6b5ed0e796979a11968ce82b.jpg

101105981-M.jpg.7a71265d09886ace59b518c95af058df.jpg

101105985-M.jpg.486df10d06b2fb26171a9635fd70bde8.jpg

101106082-M.jpg.b03b8bde577ee7b24f975e1ac7be9a8f.jpg

way back i had a Yamaha TY175 trials on my grandparents property, fun bike . then i had a K1 Honda 750 four great to tour but prone to falling over when pushed. then got the two stroke bug big time and bought a Kawasaki 750 triple. Thesewon the castrol 6 hour 3 times running (and missed the forth on a technicality.) proving the reliability of 2 strokes. Could out run anything the cops had but they just followed the trail of blue smoke home

The abovephotos bring back memories of saturday nights at Sydney Showground Speedway and Easter at Bathurst. i would guess to say the photos predat 1965. no fencing on "skyline" photos can't tell if the bike is a Norton or AJS.

in 75 i got smart and sold the bikes and bought a panel van and a set of skydiving gear.

The new bikes just blow me away with the techie stuff and i'm not even game to go in just for a look.

OZ ozzie

Guest Vigilant

First bike Yamaha AG175 then Honda XL250R on to a Yamaha XJ600 then a Honda CX500 and finally a Honda XL600V Transalp - great bike but alas have been bikeless for a while now - went to a ride day not so long ago and rode a Honda VTR1000 HMMMMMMMM nice, Lisa my new partner wants a Ducati

Guest The Bushman

Yes there are a few of use out there I fly a Supa-Pup own a 1978 Honda 250 trail and a 1956 Triumph 650 thunderBird

James

Seeing everyone else seems to be in on bikes I can tell you my story. At 19 years old I bought a brand new Kawasaki KE-175 road/trail that I used for getting to work and home again until one day. Did anyone know that the bumper bar of a VW Beetle is approx 4 inches higher then the foot peg of a kwaka 175 - yes you guessed it - compound fracture of the left tib & fib. As I stood up I felt my left side go down so looking down I saw my foot and

about 2 inches above my ankle was pointing out 90 degrees to my left leg - hmmm I thought, this does not look good.

The ambulance arrived and whilst they were fighting with the police on which hospital to take me to because it was nearly tea time and one hospital gave the ambos a better meal then the other which was closer - I was trying to tell them not to worry as it was just a sprain - i had no money to pay for an ambo (little did I know it was free cause it was a road accident). They cut my brand new jeans up the leg and my brand new Addidas runners off - I was losing even more money - IT's JUST A SPRAIN I YELLED which blended into the scream of pain as they moved my leg to put it into a blow up bag to stabilise it. They gave me one of those sniffers that got me closer to flying like a bird then flying a plane will ever do.

In the ambulance to the hospital the bag kept going down so as the ambos are complaining about it being the 2nd time that week that they got a bog with hole in it I am franticly searching for that sniffer again - I"M HOOKED.

At the hospital they told my parents they were going to have to amputate from just below the knee but they were waiting for a surgeon who wanted to try an experiment. Now remember this was in the 70's and this great whiz bang surgeon explained that he wanted to try an experiment with metal plates and screws and they squirt a type of bone glue in it to try and get the bone fragments to come together. Naturally my parents said yes as they looked at me for approval - my head was nodding vigorously trying not to let to much time go in-between sniffs that were sending me to heaven and back - I"M STILL HOOKED ON THAT SNIFFER.

To cut a long story short:

I was the first person in Australia to have plates and screws used to mend broken bones

I started dating one of the nurses - aaahh that's right Kathy was her name - beautiful girl, last I heard she was living up Tamworth way or something

What they say about nurses IS ALL TRUE

2 weeks out of hospital I was able to throw the crutches away and start hobbling along - now where's that sniffer gone

I still have my leg and only a 10 inch scar for my experience - oh, and no nurse

BUT, they day I got out of hospital I went up to my bike, started it and went off down the driveway just to say I got back on it - the only problem was I

couldn't stop it for as soon as I stopped I couldn't stand up without my crutches - what a sight, my mother running up and down the driveway with my

crutches waiting to get the timing right for when I stopped the bike.

I am going crazy here - now shut up Ian and get back to work!!!

So, Ian, the truth is out.

That's why you took that contract on the NSW Nth Coast.

It's just a hop step & a jump up to Tamworth (.... and the Port MacQ - Walcha - Tamworth road is one of the best bike roads in NSW.)

If this is not true, and you are really working hard (pardon the pun) up there then please PM me Sister Kathy's family name a phone number, as it's a nice flight up to Big Guitar country.

Please don't copy the PM to Bruce.

Regards Geoff

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Cap't, I am working hard - up at 4am this morning trying figure out the best "non ripoff" shipping for the shop.

No, really I am going home for the weekend to see the wife, did I mention I was going to see the wife, just to make sure that after nearly 4 weeks away I am going home for the weekend to see the WIFE keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif keen.gif.7777ed0d05dcd20861d93166f822038e.gif keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif keen.gif.7777ed0d05dcd20861d93166f822038e.gif keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

- I wonder if the there are 24hr movies going so I can give the kids $500 each to spend the weekend at the movies ;)

Aaagh yes Kathy, I don't know if I can do this but if anyone knows a Kathy ???? (Brennan - maiden name) living near Tamworth - tell her to PM me, hey we could start up a long lost friend thread given that there are so many fourm members living all around Australia, even have members from most parts of the world now - Hi all you fellow aviators from all parts of the world. - I'm rambling, time for another coffee!