AVIATION AND MOTORCYCLES

Captain

For those of you in Tasmania who are also into motorcycles there is a rally on next week that may be worth a look - National Veteran Rally - all 1918 or earlier !! Should be between 80 and 100 bikes there - based Ulverstone.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old 2- wheeled Iron.

Just confirming the above. This number of assembled bikes Pre-1918 is unlikely to be available anywhere else in the world. The last National Veteran bike Rally was 2 years ago in the Barossa & we had about 110 bikes, and they are ridden, not just looked at. My wife and I will be riding (separate bikes), so you will be spared any more of my posts for a while. Nev

Just discovered this thread, why is it that flying and motorcycles seem to go hand in hand? I currently have a 2004 BMW R1150R, a 1975 R60/6 (the last drum-brake BMW in Australia), and a 1989 Ducati 900SS, which is a very rare machine nowadays, some say one of the last 'real' Ducatis (i.e. pre-Cagiva, Fabio Taglioni design) see below for details;

http://members.iinet.net.au/~browng/

Mazda

I've ridden to PI for all 4 days of every MotoGP and whatever it was called prior to that, and to all 4 days of every World Superbike round that was held there.

In all that time I reckon that there were about 2 days in total when you could have reliably Ultralighted into the strip in the morning, watched the racing and flown out that afternoon in reasonable conditions (say less than 25 knots).

Good luck with it this year as I hope to do the same as you if there is a good weather window .................. but at PI a "window" is about 4 hours.

Regards

PS - Don't knock the "Stone" type 1000's. [ATTACH]3788.vB[/ATTACH]

Although this was taken 30 years ago when the bike and the rider were in a lot better knick.

Z1000.jpg.3cfa500ee9a38c0194f5dfbb0d1941de.jpg

Captain, I'm allowing plenty of time so I'm hopeful. As they say, time to spare, go by air. Otherwise I may have to land on the "mainland" somewhere. I'll probably depart on the Wednesday, and I've allowed Monday & Tuesday to get back home. If that isn't enough time I may be a bit late for work!

If the weather really is forecast to be horrible for that whole time (as Phillip Island can be!!) I might even drive down. I've been way too cold and wet and plastered with mud on rides down there previously! Hopefully though, it will be one of those special PI weekends when the sun is shining and Bass Strait is gleaming.

Just discovered this thread, why is it that flying and motorcycles seem to go hand in hand? I currently have a 2004 BMW R1150R, a 1975 R60/6 (the last drum-brake BMW in Australia), and a 1989 Ducati 900SS, which is a very rare machine nowadays, some say one of the last 'real' Ducatis (i.e. pre-Cagiva, Fabio Taglioni design) see below for details;http://members.iinet.net.au/~browng/

All my life I have lusted after a Ducati 750 sport. In my middle age, I have instead settled on this. But I'll get that Ducati one day.. and one of these. :)

these. [/url]:)

Is that a Cub Crafters 'Cub'? or a Legend 'Cub'? While personally being among those who don't consider any Cub that you solo from the front a 'real' Cub, (not even the Piper ones after 1946), I certainly appreciate the utility of its descendants as a tribute to the longevity of a truly superb concept. The Legend Cub in particular would make a very nice addition to my hangar, sitting beside it's great grand daddy.

Is that a Cub Crafters 'Cub'? or a Legend 'Cub'? While personally being among those who don't consider any Cub that you solo from the front a 'real' Cub, (not even the Piper ones after 1946), I certainly appreciate the utility of its descendants as a tribute to the longevity of a truly superb concept. The Legend Cub in particular would make a very nice addition to my hangar, sitting beside it's great grand daddy.

It's the Zlin Savage Cub. What type of Cub do you have?

Guest browng
Browng, that's a sweet little aircraft. Did you fly across the Nullarbor or was that just a day-trip :)

Yes, across from Riddels Creek to Perth......

• 1 month later...

Have just picked up a new R1200 GS Adventure.

My 2002 1150 was a fantastic bike, always ran perfectly and never put a foot wrong, but the latest version has been improved in almost every area.

Doubt they can make them handle better on the road though, as it is great fun rounding up young blokes on sports bikes when you are an old(ish) phart on a GS.

IMG_7321.JPG.e2f5c196384bf5bfcf53c69ef81923b0.JPG

IMG_7325.JPG.a04014fea9eaf33206b48b8df36b52c6.JPG

Guest check-in

No plane of my own at the moment, although I do drive bigger ones for a living. Once owned a Percival Prentice, while living in Scotland. Expensive disaster - not Scotland - the Prentice. Always loved motorbikes and have owned seven over the years. Currently have a 2006 Moto Guzzi California for touring and a Yamaha XT 250 for getting grubby in the scrub.

As I approach retirement from professional flying (over 23,000 hours - everything from Tiger Moths to Boeing 737) I know I won't be able to let go of flying completely. Hence my interest in Recreational Aircraft and maybe even instructing if my experience can translate.

Back to the original thread of motorbikes. One of the problems I see with a lot of light aircraft, including G.A. types like the fixed gear Cessnas, is that as a mode of transport they are not very efficient. The fuel burn, hangarage, insurance and maintenance means the cost per mile is much higher than a good motorbike. And for trips up to about 500 nm, the bloody things are actually SLOWER than a good motorbike when you take into account getting from home to airport, pre-flighting, planning, scratching around for fuel en-route, beating last light, then getting from destination airport into town. I easily do 800 km in a 10 hour day on the Guzzi and have done 1000 km in 11 hours. Can a Cessna 150 or Piper Cub really beat that? Could be a challenge there somewhere. Motel to motel, or home to hotel of course.

But, despite the impracticality of light aircraft, it doesn't put me off the idea. I rather like the look of Jodels, and would appreciate any feedback. But I am not trading in the motorbikes.

G'day check-in. I notice that this is your 2nd post .... so a belated welcome to the forums.

There is just one thing I'd add to your points and that is that bikes and aircraft are both just plain bloody good fun ..... and planned trips aside, on a nice morning, or late arvo, there is nothing better than giving them a run ..... just for the fun of it.

Can a..........Piper Cub really beat that? .

Bloody hell, with a decent headwind my J3 has been outrun by kangaroos, never mind Guzzis......

Bikes/planes.

I don't ride motorbikes to save fuel anymore. In the early days you did it for the cost reason. Cars are cheap now . Good tyres and chains cost a fortune with bikes and a car on LPG runs cheaper than a bike, and I'm starting to realise your fate is not just in your own hands, but dependent on non-seeing tin top drivers.

Flying? Well I cannot think of any practical reason to do it. It's pretty difficult to justify owning an aircraft from a getting-around point of view. You only take the plane if you don't have a deadline to meet, as you might end up a week late. You do both of these things because you are enthusiastic about them. (Or you're hooked). while you can. Nev...