AVIATION AND MOTORCYCLES

Captain

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I know what you meant. All the Jawa and Jap guys I know walk with their shoulders pointing in one direction and their legs in another - brave men. At Rowley Park one night I heard the crack of a helmet hitting the fence above the crowd and PA. He was carted off in an ambulance and an hour later the announcer, one of Adelaide's DJ's said "He's alright!, he only has a broken jaw!"

At Olympic Park in Melbourne we had a special race meeting with plywood laid on the running track and dirt on top of that. Both cars and bikes were involved and the cars shifted quite a big cushion up against the fence, prompting the Internationals to ride their bikes up onto the fence at the end of the corners. One went down and dislocated his shoulder, then came out and raced again two heats later!

No, I know what you meant. All the Jawa and Jap guys I know walk with their shoulders pointing in one direction and their legs in another - brave men. At Rowley Park one night I heard the crack of a helmet hitting the fence above the crowd and PA. He was carted off in an ambulance and an hour later the announcer, one of Adelaide's DJ's said "He's alright!, he only has a broken jaw!"At Olympic Park in Melbourne we had a special race meeting with plywood laid on the running track and dirt on top of that. Both cars and bikes were involved and the cars shifted quite a big cushion up against the fence, prompting the Internationals to ride their bikes up onto the fence at the end of the corners. One went down and dislocated his shoulder, then came out and raced again two heats later!

Oh to be young and bullet proof again,,,,I reckon old mate would be a bit tender nowadays after a couple of rotor cuff rebuilds, maybe a knee reconstruction or two, I hobble into the docs now and he says ,you must must have an underlying problem to be so sore all the time,,,,,,,yeh I reckon the problem was bouncing off solid objects in cars and bikes as a young fella,,,,,

I've done work for some of the Hells Angels wayback. They always paid. Do you want me to put some comma's there Turbs? It's too late now to edit it. nev

I always tried to steer clear of the bikie dollar, but we did have a gang( can't remember what brand ) in the factory complex I was renting in up home, nothing NOTHING went missing, no graffiti, no vandalism, I could have left my wallet in the drive way and it would've been there Monday morning,,,,fear is a great way to control norty people it seems!

Most guys who ride never see the inside of their scoots engines these days. ( Good thing in a lot of ways, but it is a bit of a disconnect to tune by replacing a chip). I notice when I use the term rich or lean most people look a bit blank. It's hard to know what others know when you make a statement. Sometimes you assume they know something and they don't as they have never been there. I spent ages the other night trying to explain why some new diesels had the oil level increase, until they bedded in. Nev

Guest Howard Hughes

About to join the motorcycle fraternity, looks like it'll be the venerable CB125 for me, until I 'get my wings'! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

About to join the motorcycle fraternity, looks like it'll be the venerable CB125 for me, until I 'get my wings'! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Would that be the J3 of the bike world,,,,,it can only just kill you ;-)

I have only had few stacks bad on dirt bikes. Like everybody, if they ride dirt bikes long enough. I was tapped out in top gear on my YZ250 and had a massive tank slapper in soft sand.

I went flying through the air. Didn't hurt myself though as I was wearing full gear. But I reckon I would have been doing approx. 110-115 KPH (no speedo on motor cross bikes).

Another one was when I passed a dude on a XR600, on my Yz250, it was very dusty and it was hard to see where the single land track was, I felt the brake bumps and knew that the corner was coming up real fast, and it was, it was a really tight turn. Old mate on the Honda didn't see me brake and cleaned me up. I was in a motorbike sandwich. My bike on the ground sliding along with me laying on top of it and his heavy XR was on me. It hurt a bit that one.

Worst one was when I was riding my Yamaha WR426 on a single track. I didn't come off or any thing but I clipped a tree stump with my foot which was hidden in the long grass. I was doing about 100 KPH. I was wearing Motorcross boots. That was very painful and I limped around for about 8 weeks. If I didn't have Motorcross boots on, I reckon I would have broken my foot.

I knew Andrew Mcfarlane quite well, he use to stay at our house at Karralee when he rode at the Tivoli raceway just up the road from our joint near Ipswich. He died at Broadford in Victoria 2 May 2010 while practising for the up coming motorcross event. Which really knocked all of us around.

But having said all this, I love riding motorbikes just as much as flying, I have been riding bikes for 33 years. Yeah it can be dangerous, but so is a lot of things in life I guess.

Guest Howard Hughes
Would that be the J3 of the bike world,,,,,it can only just kill you ;-)

That's the bit I'm worried about! 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

That's the bit I'm worried about! 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

I wouldn't worry mate, dying isn't the worst thing to happen to you,,,,looking back on a nice "safe" wasted life and wishing you'd done more would be far worse!

I wouldn't ride a under powered bike like that, sometimes you need power to get yourself out of trouble. I mean, power to accelerate to get yourself away from danger, if that makes sense. This is why so many Scooter riders get cleaned up. Well that as well as they don't have bike experience.

Guest Howard Hughes
I wouldn't ride a under powered bike like that, sometimes you need power to get yourself out of trouble. I mean accelerate to get yourself away from danger, if that makes sense.

It's the only one I can get my leg over, being a short fat bloke and all!Unless I go for the 'easy rider' look! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

There's not a lot of bikes with a low seat height. I agree about the underpowered bikes and scooters. There are not the safest. There are also a lot of overpowered bikes out there for road use that few can ride to the limit and it should never be done on the roads, in any case.

A lot on this forum knock Harleys but there are quite a lot of very good riders who ride superbikes etc competitively and ride Harleys on the road for pleasure, and still keep their licence. When I come to a dirt road on the Sportster I go on it and not around it. I've even ridden it in sand north of Swan Hill and fire trails from Whitfield to Buffalo and the road from Jindabyne to Suggen Buggen alongside the Snowy river.. Been everywhere in the Victorian Highlands and most of the Kosciusko area, so the old dear is a part of me now. Not just a tar tractor.

I have been lucky to ride a few bikes for tests and I like the Dukes, ( to ride but perhaps not to own). I'll be selling the Buell soon as I don't use it enough to justify the rego..Nev

I don't agree with the marketing bull$hit they go on with, actually. It puts me right off. I also don't like the way Willie G Davidson does business.. Mine is one of the AMF bikes and after I rebuilt and extensively modified it, I have not touched the engine since 1984. The later bikes are much better and have good finish paint and chrome(too much of it). They even chrome the ally. They don't have fierce brakes.(understatement) As far as I'm concerned a slightly fiddled with Sportster is the best to have. There's nothing easier to service out there, and they actually go round corners fairly well. Nev

It's the only one I can get my leg over, being a short fat bloke and all!Unless I go for the 'easy rider' look! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

So I guess you swinging your leg over my KTM 640 Adventure with its 980mm seat height is out of the question ?001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Guest Howard Hughes
So I guess you swinging your leg over my KTM 640 Adventure with its 980mm seat height is out of the question ?001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Not without one of those A-frames that Medieval Knights used to get on their horses! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

• 6 months later...

Hi to all the motorbike pilots. I just got my licence to learn to ride. Anyone have any advice regarding type or model of bike to buy or rent. Earlier posts suggest to avoid underpowered bikes, I'm 105 kgs and want to cruise and go to work etc. Thanks in advance. Flying Librarian

G'day FL, from a fellow Wagga-ite-ite.

I assume that you are still governed by the LAMS requirements and if so there are some good bikes available that comply. If not you are perhaps into a different market.

My grandson just got his L's and I helped him into a Hyosung 650 that is a nice bike for someone on a rigid budget.

That is a bike that can take him through L's and P's and then perhaps a years or so after that, before he needs to trade up to something quicker, if he does indeed choose to keep going with bikes.

But the choice of bikes is just so individual.

However my recommendation is to get high bars (not clip-ons such as sport bikes), get a 600 - 650 type engine that will allow you to tour but will still be easy around town, then choose whether you want a traditional road bike or a trail bike based machine. If the latter, the DR 400/600 Suzuki's are good & cheap, as are similar brands.

Or if you have a quid, one of the 650/800 BMW's are also good and easy to ride to gain experience.

But it is so personal and up to "what light's your fire" so I wouldn't dare to give strong advice, however I hope this helps.

Regards Geoff

By the look of it just about everyone who in to aircraft are in to bike as well. I thought I was alone!

Honda RS250 GP bike, Yamaha TZ250 GP, Kawasaki Z1R historic super bike, Yamaha RZ350 historic race bike and a Bowell 50cc scooter

By the look of it just about everyone who in to aircraft are in to bike as well. I thought I was alone!Honda RS250 GP bike, Yamaha TZ250 GP, Kawasaki Z1R historic super bike, Yamaha RZ350 historic race bike and a Bowell 50cc scooter

With that list, are you going to the Island Classic this weekend?