AVIATION AND MOTORCYCLES

Captain

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stickman

Suzuki VS1400 (older model, great shape, though). Harleys are nice, but the price tag isn't. I'm considering trading my the Intruder (that's what the Vs1400 is) for a new C109. Gotta love that power.

Guest bigblockford545

Kwaka ZZR1100 here, would smack the Jabiru LSA I'm learning to fly, in a straight line.

have fun

Simon

Guest Rufus

aviation & motorcycles

I ride a 2002 Harley Heritage Softail with the 88B motor. 95000 klicks. A real delight to fly, I mean ride.I've owned a couple of Kwaka's & Yamaha's, always had trouble getting parts, before I discovered Harleys. Rarely need parts, spend my money on accessories.

Stickman, you are right, Harleys are nice, but the price isn't. But then again, I've owned around 9 Harleys & I've NEVER lost money on one, always got back more than I spent, except for consumables.

And had a hell of a lot of pleasure.

Although, as I was telling me old mate, Charlie, who loves B.M.W.'s, that I can see a Beemer in my future. I mean, I'm almost 70 y.o., so I'm nearly old enough to own one.

Roger Mac

Guest Stickman
I ride a 2002 Harley Heritage Softail with the 88B motor. 95000 klicks. A real delight to fly, I mean ride.I've owned a couple of Kwaka's & Yamaha's, always had trouble getting parts, before I discovered Harleys. Rarely need parts, spend my money on accessories.Stickman, you are right, Harleys are nice, but the price isn't. But then again, I've owned around 9 Harleys & I've NEVER lost money on one, always got back more than I spent, except for consumables.

And had a hell of a lot of pleasure.

Although, as I was telling me old mate, Charlie, who loves B.M.W.'s, that I can see a Beemer in my future. I mean, I'm almost 70 y.o., so I'm nearly old enough to own one.

Roger Mac

My biggest problem with resale of any Harley I owned is that the mileage would be far too high for decent resale. I put 12,000 miles on my Intruder the first three and a half months I owned it, and another 18,500 during the rest of that year. I got so that I was spending most of the daylight hours that I didn't spend working, riding that bike. Now I own a Suzuki that needs new timing chains (stretched, thanks to a 28 hour straight through ride from SW Missouri to San Diego last December at far too high speed for the bike's gearing) and has far too many miles to even consider selling outright. I paid 2500 for it, and I probably couldn't break even, so I'll most likely end up keeping it, unless they'll give me what I paid on trade in. If I were to put that many miles on a new Harley, it would reduce the resale by half. And even if that weren't the case, I don't like the idea of having anywhere between 20k to 30k tied up in a bike. I can buy a brand new C109T for about 14,500. Or a used one for 10k or so. Just makes more sense to go the less expensive route, to me. Again, don't get me wrong. Nice bikes, Harleys, but I can't justify the price when a comparable Suzuki (in speed, power, reliability) is about half the sticker price.

Guest Rufus

aviation & motor cycles

Fair comment, Stickman.

Value, like most things, is in the eye of the beholder.

Most importantly, it doesn't matter what bike you ride, or what plane you fly.

As long as you ride & fly, you've got it made.

Either way, keep the rubber between you and the ground.

Roger Mac.

Guest munch

Hey Guys, one of the biggest problems with harley's these days is keeping it long enough to sell it { ie the buggers keep pinching them} 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif

• 9 months later...

This thread started several years ago and well, with many more members here and the apparent connection between recreational pilots and motorcycles thought I would resurrect the thread to see if it gets any more comments

This thread started several years ago and well, with many more members here and the apparent connection between recreational pilots and motorcycles thought I would resurrect the thread to see if it gets any more comments

Good idea Ian.

If it comes in time, I am picking up a new bike on Saturday and was going to post some pics.

If not, it will be next week.

Am like a dog with 2 tails at the moment.

Regards Geoff

Hi All,

I started with a Vesper 125 sports in the 1960's then got a new Honda DT250 when they first came out. After smashing my leg on a spectacular stack i went up in size, crazy i know but like flying once it's in the blood you are hooked. I also had a Suzuki 1100 road bike for ten years and sidecar, cool for camping in.

Bob.

Love bikes, love planes more.

81 Yamaha XT250.

79 Yamaha DT175 1979.

91 Yamaha FZR 250 1991.

Mix of 93 to 97 parts Yamaha TZ 125 GP $2 spray can yellow fairings with a $2 clear coat, came out looking good.

93 Suzuki RM 250.

99 Kawasaki ZX6R.

05 Kawasaki ZX10 full Acro exhaust, K&N filter and power commander with 175hp at rear wheel, Oh Yeah!

05 KTM Super Duke, kills all the Japanese super bikes through the twisties.

Last crash was a hit and run, Internal bleeding in all organs except spleen, left lung and heart. Revived at scene, 9 hour operation and woke up with a titanium shin and all kinds of tubes coming out of me.

6 months later I have been on a walking stick for a week and feel ready to go back to work. I want to keep the bike as it came out only needing 3k to fix but I don't want my wife to stress and a drifter is a much better thing to have in the shed anyway.

The best thing about bike culture is, it doesn't matter who you are, you can pull up to any group of riders and have a chat, much the same as landing at a RA friendly strip.

PS, unless asked, this is the last post I will mention about my bike stack. sorry.

The best thing about bike culture is, it doesn't matter who you are, you can pull up to any group of riders and have a chat, much the same as landing at a RA friendly strip.

Too True:thumb_up:

My biking history as follows,

PE50

KX65

RM80

RM125

RM250 thats were the dirt racing ended.

RGV250

250 Across

FZR400

1999 GSXR 1100 turbo 220hp at rear wheel 9p boost and way to much money spent.

1994 Virago 1100, 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif WHAT WAS I THINKING

Current

2008 DL650 Vstrom with Givi Paniers,Givi Top Box, Custom Bash Guards, Rad Guards, Custom Chain Guard, Crash Bars, Bar risers, Bark Busters, ABS and a lot more.

My old man has a new Suzuki MT109 and a Goldwing which is also good for a ride.

One of the slowest bikes I have ever owned yet I love it

464.jpg.2d85de9a87043cafda3313bab4636321.jpg

17022007141.jpg.5688c45d554981a1a1e4e06c15245538.jpg

479.jpg.15e6ffc661665ed6c7459f998d4c1203.jpg

O.K. guys - I'll see you and raise you as follows-

Previous bikes-

AG100

CT110

VT250

KLX650

WR250

XT225

TRX850

XR600

K100RS

XJ900

CBR1000

Guzzi Le Mans 1000

Bandit1200

XL1200S sportster

XR650R - current bike.

As the others have said, bikes are great, but then I found out about this flying caper - now I have the greatest on going rivalry with myself. The planes are winning, but the bike fits in my garage....

For the record, I think a 650 V Strom would be about the best allrounder bike at present! Would love one.

For the record, I think a 650 V Strom would be about the best allrounder bike at present! Would love one.

I have to admit it I am bias but I love it, Fuel economy is GREAT, long distance is so easy, plenty of grunt where needed and on the dirt they are better than ppl think. The only complaint I have is you can't turn the ABS off but other than that I couldn't recomend them enough. I nearly bought the DL1000 instead but after riding one I am so glad that I didn't.

Rode bikes for over 30 years, sold the last one 4 1/2 years back to do something safer (flying) here is some of the ones I had in order of buying.

TS100 Suzuki ( I was poor)040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

CR125 Honda (wasn't quite as poor)

CR500 Honda (I was stupid, too much power for a young bloke):black_eye:

Z250 A Kawasaki (I was a learner)

XT250 Yamaha (still a learner)

RD250 Yamaha (restriction)

RD350 Yamaha (Still on a restriction)

FJ1200 Yamaha (and again but never got caught)

YZF750R Yamaha (I was stupid once again, track racing):ah_oh:

VN1500 Kawasaki (Rode around Oz, started getting wiser)

K1100LT BMW (Rode around Oz, was very wise)

Edge X 582 (Got smart)

XT912 (Got older)010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

Oops spouse just seen how much money I have wasted:wasnt me:

Many that I know who are flying have at one time or are presently into motorcycles. J

G`Day Captain,

Yeah,I`m guilty,40 years ago,I had a 360 BSA and a 350 Matchless,I think that`s the the right spelling,it`s so long ago,can`t realy remember,used to call it a 350 matchi , anyway,I raced them both for a few years on what we then called, dirt track,grass track and T T short circuit,I enjoyed racing, greatly.

Loved motor bikes and had a Yamah road bike for many years as well,at that time I couldn`t see myself ever being without a bike but when I started flying Ultralights, they satified my thrill seeker needs and these days I only ride a Quad bike.

Cheers,

Frank. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

I have to admit it I am bias but I love it, Fuel economy is GREAT, long distance is so easy, plenty of grunt where needed and on the dirt they are better than ppl think. The only complaint I have is you can't turn the ABS off but other than that I couldn't recomend them enough. I nearly bought the DL1000 instead but after riding one I am so glad that I didn't.

My current modern bike is a 650 ABS Vstrom as well - I echo your comments - best allrounder I have ever had.

My current modern bike is a 650 ABS Vstrom as well - I echo your comments - best allrounder I have ever had.

Good to see someone shares my thoughts:thumb_up:

I started riding fairly late at 22.

1.First bike was a Yamaha RD 350 - fast two stroke:laugh:

2.Next was a beautiful Honda 750 four. Fabulous motorcycle - lost my licence 3 months later:blush:

3.Got the licence back & purchased a Laverda 1000 3 cylinder. This was a beast:angry:. Great looking in a bit of a retro style but still a beast. On a long trip it would get to the point where after 80km I have to get off the beast & sit in the gutter to get some comfort. :sad:The clutch was VERY heavy. I soon learnt to ride without the clutch - both for relief & because it kept snapping the cable. I still own this bike.:big_grin:

4.Suzuki brought out a radically styled Katana 1100. I had to have one.keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif Only problem with it was it had annoying engine vibrations through the pegs. I found I was travelling at 90mph everywhere to get out of the vibe zone. Sold that before I lost my licence or life.092_idea.gif.47940f0a63d4c3c507771e6510e944e5.gif

5.From one extreme to another - after the Katana I bought a BMW R100RS.

I love this bike:heart::heart: We have travelled many, many kms. All around Australia, up & down the middle twice & just about everywhere in Vic, SA & QLD. It has travelled well over 250000 kms & I still own it:heart:010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif There are so many stories surrounding all those trips - I could never part with this bike:blush: Did I say I love it?:heart::heart:

6.To try & avoid destroying the R100RS & because it was at a good price I bought a BMW R80GS. I travelled through the Flinders Ranges a few times & up & down back tracks but I reckon the R100RS was as good in the dirt. Eventually sold that to pay for an engine rebuild of the R100RS.............

They were great days travelling around Australia on the bike...love to go do it all again

H

[ATTACH]7336.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7337.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7338.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7339.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7340.vB[/ATTACH]

1621934091_YamahaRD350.jpg.0a50bacbe0500953400045621ffd49b3.jpg

65426277_Honda750Four.jpg.81d3da2405983bcc823fb419b20228e3.jpg

1564207477_Katana1100.jpg.74ec7c9e1137338c2fbf3591fa5e3b1c.jpg

1013329610_Laverda10003Cinthesnow.jpg.d8ee863403ebc8d26aefb5f025c706bc.jpg

2033192160_R100RSDevilsMarbles.jpg.7b151b37a839ce31cd79c87d3db9bafe.jpg

Re the V Strom again, I wondered about the 650 v 1000 argument and actually found a website with a guy who had one of each at the same time and did a great comparison of the two. At the end, he kept the 650! Says something.