Captain

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest aardvark

Hi All,

I'm new here and still only a flying wannabe (I'll remedy this over this summer with any luck). It's good to know that I won't get too many strange looks turning up for training on my CBR

Regards,

Andrew

Guest aardvark
Hey Andrew, with a small set of wings, I recon you could get airbourne every 100 metres or so......

regards

The front's not a problem but getting both wheels up at the same time has been a challenge...

Thanks for the welcome everyone, the current weapon is now my avatar but it's not a very long list. Started with a Suzuki A100 then GN250, Honda CX500, then moved to the UK and a Yamaha XJ600 and FJ1200. Back home to Oz and the (current) CBR1000F.

Lots of sensible middle of the road bikes, but I've managed to have fun on them :big_grin:

I've been interested in flying for very long time and now at the point where I can afford it without it without it carving too large a hole in my budget and (more importantly) not get raised eyebrows from my very patient wife.

I expect I'll be training out of Warnervale and hope to see you in the air soon.

Regards,

Andrew

Guest aeroclub13

Well, there might be something to it: He has a R1100RT, she has a F650 CS, and for even more fun we fly commercially, including a 2006 CTSW. It's small world, may be our ways will cross!

G'day ac13

The question is ............. if you should decide to attend one of those three essential hoon events in Mexico next year .. namely Avalon or theSuperbikes or the GP at Phillip Island in 2007.... would you ride the RT orwould you fly the CT?

Regards Geoff in Wagga Captain

• 3 weeks later...
Guest genatomwill

This might be a nice opportunity to introduce myself.... Will is my name, I'm here in California, joined your site searching experience with Tecnams. Not many to be found here, but I flew a Tecnam 2002 and liked it a lot.

I'm a long time motorcyclist, long before flying that is. Currently have a Guzzi Daytona RS, Cagiva Gran Canyon, and 1980 Ducati 900SS. Yes, I do like Italian stuff... Here's me in about 1998 with some bikes...

My two winged conveyance is a '46 Luscombe 8A, which doesn't have a great dela of performance but none the less is my pride and joy... I'll include a picture of it...

Best regards and thanks for allowing a foreigner amongst you...

Will

genatomwill

G'day Will.

Nice to have you on board. Good stable you have there.

Did you getto Laguna for the MotoGP over the past couple of years? A couple of my mates raced over there for the last 3 years at the meeting with Wayne Rainey and Eddie Lawson in the Superkart race ... see pic below heading into the corkscrew.

I raced those things for 10 years until a couple of years ago.

I also did aGREAT 2 weeksride thru western Colorado and eastern Utah a couple of years ago. You havesometerrific country over there for bikes.

I also note that there was a 46 and a 48 Luscombe 8E in Illinois & Idaho respectively, available for spares at http://www.aigaviation.com/salvage/salvage_List.aspx

How hard is it to keep a '46 Model in the air over there?

Regards Geoff

Captain

Guest genatomwill

Hi Geoff,

Karts are KOOL :)

Steady Eddie was a kart guy long ago, a guy I went to school with 20 years ago told me stories about racing karts with him.

I've not been to the Moto GP at Laguna Seca, but I've been to Laguna Seca many times. Its a good ride from where I live in San Diego, around 500 miles on twisty roads. I haven't gone to the GP because of the crowds and expense.

Thanks for the salvage info. I look at that any stuff like that with great interest!

Its easy enough to keep the old Luscombe going here, or really any '46 airplane. I think that's why we don't have all that many new light aircraft - although with the new for us Light Sport rules that may change. There are probably a thousand or so Luscombes still flying in the US (I'm just guessing). Some new parts are available from a couple of sources, and a lot is common with other airplanes of the era. Anything mechanical is available -

especially with an A65 Continental that nobody wants because it has no starter or generator. Mine is a very simple thing, A65 engine , no electrics, no hydraulics, and the whole thing was rebuilt in the 90's so it doesn't need much.

All the best,

Will

PS I have to say that the salvage website picture of the polished Luscombe on its back makes me.... weep.

genatomwill

• 3 weeks later...

Well since this thread has gone on for so long, it seems the longest I've come across on this site so far. Here's my 2 cents worth.

Have been flying trikes for 6 years now and riding road bikes for 10 years next month.

Started off with a GPX250 -> CBR600 -> ZX9R -> ER5 (Commuting) -> Currently riding a 2004 Honda CB900 (Best comprimise between the ZX9R and the ER5). The ZX9R will never be forgoten. It could do 125km/h in 1st gear after about 4 seconds, but hard to tell as space and time were warped by then. The only machine that ever pulled away from it was a GSXR1000 down the main straight at Eastern Creek the one time I took it to a track day, oh and a Subaru WRX off the lights in the middle of Sydney CBD but have to admit I didn't try as it simply was not the place to be doing that kind of thing.

Anyone going to see the Philip Island World Superbikes in March? I haven't been there on the bike since Nov 2002 and looks like my old group and I may be going again.

Eastmeg2

Will definitely be at the Superbikes. We have been to all of them over the past 10 years or so, and usually do the Afterburner Ride Day on the Monday afterwards.

Regards Geoff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yep I'm another one, been riding since I can remember, every thing from a pee wee 50 to re-building my honda 90 posty bike at the age of 10yrs, and riding powerfull dirt bikes thru my teens, with my cousin Kevin Curtain ( many times Australian Production and Super bike Champ ) Now on the World stage. I now own a Kawasaki Ninga 1000 . And play with 2 strokes all the time, ( with wings attached of course ),,,, IT must get into the Blood ??? Lance....

Yeh crezzi he was , as you would expect, but like all champions he's been down that part of the track many times before, and it does'nt get any easier. Kevin ( who was named after my father by the way ) tells me he's nursing a couple of broken fingers at the moment. Just recently his mum was trying to get in touch, she does'nt get in contact very often, so we hope it's not very bad news, or something, exstended Family wise that is.... any how thanks for the interest Crezzi, I'll pass on the word next I'm talking to him. ....regards Lance

I guess I fall into the motorbike and aviation category as well. Had a procession of bikes starting when I was an apprentice with a Yamaha RD 350, that taught me how important it was to anticipate what was about to happen with the traffic down the road as I commuted around Sydney. Progressed through various jap bikes including a Kawasaki 750 then 1100, which also got me called a temporary Australian by a few friends. Went off touring around the bottom end of Australia, including Tasi for a couple of months on a Yamaha XS-1100, which had a better touring position than the Kwak, and shaft drive. Came home and bought a Moto Guzzi Le-mans that I absolutely loved. Very different to the Jap bikes and easy to maintain.

Also had a very memorable trip from Darwin whilst living there in the late 80's on an XJ-900 round to Broome, Perth, Adelaide then back to Darwin on a 2 week holiday with a girl that I had just met in Darwin. That was one fun trip.

Now I haven't got a steed at all, 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif although I am often procrastinating about it, looking at Bikes for Sale, (Guzzi's and BMW twins mostly), and then deciding that the money would be better used for the family. HO Hum.

Flying is helping to make it easier to bear not having a bike in the shed. 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Kirk

Great to see I am not the only one who is addicted to both flying and motorbikes. My taste in bikes is a bit different with a small collection ranging from 1912 to 1939 !! I guess it fits in with the fact that I like old aircraft too !! My "modern" is a 76 R90/6 BMW.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sportsman

Doctor Big

I am still riding my Suzuki DR 800 S American import ,Paris Dakar copy 800cc single cylinder .It's not much of a trail bike but great on open dirt roads and is more comfortable than my reciently sold BMWK1200RS .

Previously owned Indian Chout .I know what you are thinking , the idiot means a Chief or a Scout . I built this bike from a 1928 750cc 101 Scout and shoe horned in a 1200cc 344 Chief engine .I also replaced the leaf spring front forks with a set of Vard telo forks .The concept was not my own but an idea I copied from an American friend Max Bubeck who owned and built a Chout which he set a land speed record on .That motorcycle is featured in Jerry Hatfields books and many others , for those who are interested in Indians .

I was also involved in breaking Max's long standing land speed record which was done here in Australia at Lake Gairdner SA by Peter Arundel back in 2002 on a non streamlined 1924 rigid rear end Indian 8 valve factory racer 158.73 MPH .Not to shabby for an old girl .

Let's All have fun but keep it safe .:big_grin: Kevin .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CptKelly

Motorbikes?

I ride a 850 Norton Commando for those of you who are old enough to remember them. Its a lot quicker than my son's 750 Boxer Beemer....

Mike