Zenith CH-701 thread

eightyknots

Hi Paul

Yes I will chase up Zenith before I change anything ,Very keen just to get it in the air then down the track make some mods like the maingear and I like the wing extensions to.

Cheers Phil

Hey Maj

Any chance you pm your Phone number would like a chat about the 582.

Cheers Phil

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished riveting the bottom of the left wing last night. Will flip it over tomorrow and start playing around with the tank install - at least having done one already it won't all be a mystery!

1761130431_Leftwing-bottomskinriveted.JPG.1a8deff4d055c3624bed42ed1355da2b.JPG

743260555_Leftwing-strutbracketcomplete.JPG.d46f70d0db9b8dacaadb5fcf0f6c5c54.JPG

• Like 3

Do you know what you're doing Marty or are you just winging it?

Abso-bloody-lutely no idea. If I was from England I'd be a winging Pom for sure.

Tell you one thing, how smart was Chris Heintz? He designed the nose skins to be 620mm wide, which is exactly half a sheet of 12' x 4' aluminium. No wastage there and only 1 cut required.

Tell you one thing, how smart was Chris Heintz? He designed the nose skins to be 620mm wide, which is exactly half a sheet of 12' x 4' aluminium. No wastage there and only 1 cut required.

He's a do'er that's for sure with a good following and some planes that suit real world people, good on him.

Abso-bloody-lutely no idea.

Welcome to Rec Flying Forums, you'll fit right in!

Abso-bloody-lutely no idea. If I was from England I'd be a winging Pom for sure.Tell you one thing, how smart was Chris Heintz? He designed the nose skins to be 620mm wide, which is exactly half a sheet of 12' x 4' aluminium. No wastage there and only 1 cut required.

You might want to thank max tedesco he did the bulk of the design

marty, have you seen the latest videos from zenith on youtube?

Which ones in particular FT? I just had a look at their youtube channel and watched the river/gravel bar landing & takeoffs, that looked spectacular.

Yeah thanks for that FT... after you do a wing by creating wooden formwork, cutting out blanks, bashing out the ribs, fly-cutting the lightening holes, pressing the flanges, solid-riveting the spar, aligning, drilling, cursing, drilling, removing, deburring, filing, rubbing, priming, clecoing, checking, then finally riveting...

of course you then want to see two spankers whip the whole thing together in 9 minutes on youtube. wtf.gif.98144920f830741b92569ef3d0e64f88.gif

• Haha 1

marty, have you seen the latest videos from zenith on youtube?

Damn, I must be having internet troubles, the link isn't showing .....

together in 9 minutes on youtube.

Phhttt, in the old days we did them in 8, and we lived in a hole in the road, but tell the kids today an they'll no believe ya.

• Haha 1

Dont fret its a common issue. If you land a Sav or 701 too fast you can wheelbarrow and this can cause the nosewheel to collapse easily. This is why you must hold that nosewheel off as long as possible. The only other way of course is if you hit nose first and do the bunny hop. They are a stol aircraft never put them on the ground over 40 to 45 knots they will wheelbarrow at the drop of a hat. Once you know its not a issue

There is a thread I did on the savannah section with a video of where it almost caught me when I only had 7 hrs in the aircraft. My mate got caught with it...although there were other circumstances that enabled this it is a trap for low time 701 and savannah pilots

Bugger, seven years building and I bend it on my third landing! At least I didn't bend me and I can fix it!

Sorry to hear that Derek. Hope you get it fixed ok.

Mark, is the design of the noseleg too weak, or is it just a matter of nailing the landing technique every time?