Yelling "....clear prop...."

Tomo

Guest skyspud

Always have YELLED "clear prop" out through door or window followed by a good look around before starting. I also don't close the pilot's door on aircraft with such feature until after start in case of fire which I once had. This allows you to PROJECT YOUR VOICE. Make yourself heard.

skyspud

Go fast and take chances

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always yell out, then have a GOOD look, and wait. then start, also i do not lock the door until the engine is running.

this will be good for debate, i will not do up my seat belts and lock the door/canopy until the engine is running. the reason, if there is a fire on start up, it helps with rapid exit. and makes the shutdown list real quick in such a situation, ignition off, fuel off, master off and GET OUT.

Yes!

I always look around and behind the aircraft first (so you don't blast someone walking behind, or if someone is approaching from behind), then look ahead, then shout out "Clear Prop!", then wait a couple of seconds, then start.

Darky, personally I always put my headset on before starting, often one earpiece over one ear, the other one off the ear so you can hear "outside" a bit easier. On some types you can't put the headset on after starting anyway, there are not enough hands to hold the stick back, put on the headset, and not all aircraft have convenient toe brakes. Plus you have instant communication with your instructor/passenger/student.

The only thing is that if the intercom does work before start, make sure you move the mic away from your mouth before yelling clear prop or your pax will be deaf!

Besides covering my mike, yelling out the proverbial "CLEAR PROP", stretching my neck left & right to check the area around the prop at the back, . . . the practice of a short (less than 1 second) initial crank-over with the ignitions off to prime the engine with oil, greatly reduces the likely worst outcome if someone was hiding underneath your prop hub. Having only the force of the starter motor behind it the prop/gearbox engine may not even get damaged. Oh and the victim probably won't lose any limbs/head either and bruises can heal.

And if someone was about to approach, regardless of whether or not they hear your "CLEAR PROP", they're unlikely to continue their approach once they've seen or heard the motor turning over.

Well, for U/L's anyway, GA and up may be a different story and just slice & dice regardless.:ne_nau:

Guest Sharp End
The only thing is that if the intercom does work before start, make sure you move the mic away from your mouth before yelling clear prop or your pax will be deaf!

Err sorry about that Ms M - but you could always turn the volume down* until after start! 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

* That's if it's possible, Ms M's headset has more switches than the Airtourer!

On a serious note, please call "clear prop" or "keep clear, starting" as loudly as you can, it does help contribute towards safer aviation for the myriad of reasons mentioned above.

I had to chuckle the other day- I yell- and I mean yell it, and I looked towards my CFI in the left seat as I did(force of habit). We have a new procedure in our school to keep headsets off until after start up, well did he get it at volume ten- I can hear a workers comp claim coming... lesson for instructors in RH seat- yell away from other pilot!!! I can still see him grimacing.

makes sense

Stand clear -starting does make sense over clear prop for me but so does some sort of horn/siren.

Maybe a horn with the sound of blades cutting thru meat would get the message across!

Stand clear -starting does make sense over clear prop for me but so does some sort of horn/siren.Maybe a horn with the sound of blades cutting thru meat would get the message across!

and the sound of someone screaming as well :clown:

I call it everytime.

One bbq day at Goulburn I had a flight just after the lunch time festivities. There were a number of non-regulars around, wandering about and looking at planes etc. I had a good look round but didn't see anybody. I stuck my head out the door of the Gazelle and yelled "CLEAR PROP" really loud and was startled to see 2 people running away from the tail area directly behind me, closely followed by one in a wheelchair (rolling as fast as he could).

They had been approaching for a chat and a talk about the plane, and hadn't realised I was about to start up. Worked a treat, even if they didn't know much flying type stuff. After I waved them over we had a nice chat for a while. They stood well clear to watch the eventual startup.

Clear prop

I get some smirks at my club for yelling "clear prop!" at the top of my lungs every time.

Yes i agree even the dogs at our strip know what clear prop means, and it is the sounds of the two words that gets attention even in noisy environments, but yep you do get individuals who choose their own warnings such as stand clear i am starting my engine Hmmm a lot of stuff to hear there, like our dogs who respond to sound ie sit lay, and clear prop, Beats having to buy a new prop hey CLEAR PROP:thumb_up:

Even the tv shows are getting on in the death by prop thing, I was watching...NCIS I think it was...a couple of weeks ago and a guy was murdered by accidentally stepping backwards into a running prop. Note to all from this tv show, don't have the prop going in the hangar! :raise_eyebrow:

Love crime shows with obvious plot holes -

1. The prop was going in the hangar...

2. The guy who stepped into the prop was an experienced pilot, I really don't think that an experienced pilot is going to forget that there is a prop going right behind him somehow...

This post is still on the thread topic...right? :big_grin: Eh, if not, delete it. Boredom at work does strange things to my mind...

Walking Through Prop.

There have been numerous instances of persons who are familiar with aircraft walking through a turning propeller. One engineer who did it unharmed collapsed after realising he had done it. Familiarity breeds contempt, sometimes. It helps if the engine is geared as many of the larger motors are. Wise ones give them a wide berth. Nev

I get some smirks at my club for yelling "clear prop!" at the top of my lungs every time.

At least you know you're being heard...!

:thumb_up:

While the onus was on the pilot in the old days, I don't think the onus has changed. You have to be certain that there is no one around that may be hurt by the cranking of the engine. Whether that is by yelling (that no one can hear) or by astitue observation of the people around so be it

In these days of mostly enclosed cockpits yelling "clear prop" seems a bit redundant to me. And how many non-pilots would know that this means "danger-stand clear"?

Most times I recall hearing a call was when I was in right seat with the pilot. I think I have only heard a clear prop call once when outside an aircraft...and that was an aggie who happened to have the door open.

If it's just a ritual that gets your brain in gear that's fine....but if safety is really an issue when starting an aircraft engine then why not fit a simple reversing beeper. This is now a widely understood signal to stand clear. Fit a button on the panel to sound the beeper that you have to press for the starter to work (engine won't start unless you are pressing the beeper button). Or perhaps even have the beeper sound when you switch on the master or mags and automatically switch off when there's voltage from the alternator after engine start.

Silly idea? :confused:

Not silly Powewin.

It's the Pilot's Duty of Care to make sure he doesn't hit someone when starting up.

If he knows no one can hear him, or at best can only hear a muffled noise, but in a Public Liability case claims that's what he did, it would make an interesting case.

Just thinking...the push button idea for the beeper is no good. It means you need two hands to start the engine. OK when you're on the ground....not much good when you're in the air trying to restart a failed engine while flying the plane.