Another NEW Savannah XL on its way

Kyle Communications

Hello Mark;I have been following your build on both this site and the Savannahaircraft site since I started building my own Savannah VGW (same plane - North American designation) here in Nova Scotia, Canada, in July of 2011. I have over 1000 hours of logged build time on my project and expect to be airborne in the spring. The attached picture was taken in early December just before I stored her for the winter.

I spent most of the summer of 2012 redesigning the wiring plan and getting input on the mods before doing the electrics installation in the fall of that year. The final revision of my schematic is posted on Savannahaircraft.

You make reference to "the incident" in this post which, I surmise, occurred sometime between May and December of 2013 - but give no details. Is there anything I should be aware of before I begin trials with my plane?

Your repairs look as good as (better than?) the original; especially the lightweight cowling fitted outside the fuselage skin (where ICP should have put it in the first place). Did you layup the fibreglass yourself or is the cowl available through the ICP network?

All the best for 2014; I've thoroughly enjoyed your posts;

Fly safely,

Dan Tonner

Incident section of the forum 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/savannah-incident-at-caboolture.67974/

Hi Dan

I didn't answer your question before...sorry about that. The original cowling was broken in the prop strike all the repair parts including a new cowl came direct from ICP. I noted when the parts arrived that this "new" cowl as much lighter than the original I got in the kit probably 2 or 3 kg lighter and seems better quality. When I built the aircraft originally I fitted to cowl to the outside of the fuselage as fitting it on the inside is much more drama so I elected to fit it externally. The new cowl is out of the same mold as the original it pretty much fits exactly the same but you can of course refit your cowl to the outside IF you did not trim any off the rear ends off the top and bottom cowl. I did not use the electrical harness supplied or even the instruments supplied I rewired mine all in tefzel aircraft wire and of course I have a few electronic bits in the dash. During this downtime repairing the aircraft I am making a new dash again and fitting a second MGL Xtreme EFIS also my Avmap EKP-V into the dash. I have decided to put the Ipad mini in a airgizmo mount but on a mount at the middle and bottom rail of the dash right in front of the control column.

Finished the cowl off ready for paint yesterday got the heat relief holes in each side of the cowl cut out and the rest of the cam locks done. Today the last job was to install the second battery door on the pax side of the aircraft. This now allows me to fix a plastic box with a locking tab on it so I can store my tie down kit and other gear in there. I have to submit a new weight and balance with all the paperwork including the 600kg mod paperwork and the L2 sign off on the repairs. When I do the W&B I will put progressive 1 litter bottles of water in the back area I can access now and get all the figures so I will know exactly how much weight I can put in the back. The painter is all kitted out now with a key to the hanger so just have to wait for him to finish then I can reinstall the nose wheel and the modified rudder pedals and she will be ready to go…..will be working on the new dash panel now while all that happens

Mark

IMG_1583_1.jpg.527ff74920c59d38e75ad3e89d7d947e.jpg

IMG_1584_1.jpg.46f1067ce065d9825f5e4bfbd568bcc5.jpg

IMG_1581_1.jpg.42a231683302647db22d91ddc8ca196b.jpg

IMG_1582_1.jpg.a599b61f80a6575d1f9beb4b875a97f1.jpg

• Caution 1

Hi DanI hope my blog helped you during your build. Go to the link Dennis has posted above and look at post# 15...if you have any questions please feel free to ask

Mark

Happy New Year Mark;

Your blog and many, many others gave me a great deal of information and advice to consider and sort through. In particular, Tony (TG2546 on Yahoo Savannahaircraft) has become my sounding board for the last 2.5 years as my plane came together. SkyRaft was built the about a year before my plane and Tony provided some wonderful guidance as I worked through my build.

I learned to fly in my 60's and have only about 80 hours solo time logged - I can use all the help I can get. I learned to fly on a club ultralight - an Aeroprakt A22ntly

Where is that website Dan?

The wiring diagram is actually posted under "Photos" as Nova Scotia Savannah VGW.

Dan

Happy New Year Mark;Your blog and many, many others gave me a great deal of information and advice to consider and sort through. In particular, Tony (TG2546 on Yahoo Savannahaircraft) has become my sounding board for the last 2.5 years as my plane came together. SkyRaft was built the about a year before my plane and Tony provided some wonderful guidance as I worked through my build.

I learned to fly in my 60's and have only about 80 hours solo time logged - I can use all the help I can get. I learned to fly on a club ultralight - an Aeroprakt A22ntly

The wiring diagram is actually posted under "Photos" as Nova Scotia Savannah VGW.

Dan

Good to hear from you Dan…I am sure that is Tony Garret from I think he lives in Colorado…I have traded quite a few emails with him and he is a nice guy and very helpful. He and JG (John Gilpin Stolspeed website owner) on this forum got together when John was over there flying around in his Kolb and did a lot of things while John was touring around. I love Tony's video of flying into the Salmon River resort too. Mine hopefully will be back in the air at the end of this month the painter emailed me this morning telling me he will start it early on this week. Your never too old to do something you love and your a long time dead so do as much as you can before the big fella upstairs puts out the call.

"I learned to fly in my 60's and have only about 80 hours solo time logged - I can use all the help I can get. I learned to fly on a club ultralight - an Aeroprakt A22ntly"

(Clearly, I am stumbling a little getting this reply posted too.....)

The club planes are Aeroprakt A22's - "Foxbats" in the UK and "Valors" in the US, I don't know how common they are downunder. These tricycle-gear aircraft were equipped with a Yoke and a single handbrake attached to the central throttle lever. As I was building I was looking for options to convert the toebrakes (with which I have zero experience and even less confidence) to a stick mounted single brake lever system - I have difficulty seeing much benefit in differential braking on this airplane. Any thoughts?

Another recurrent issue seems to be fuel smell and/or fuel leakage. Are you replacing all your fuel lines - including the return line and the fuel pressure gauge line - with "osmosis-proof" lines? (I'm not sure what that is, by the way...)

Probably the biggest issue I face during my build is the absence of a Savannah community here in Eastern Canada. At last count, I believe there were only 15 Savannahs registered in the country; one within a few hundred kilometers, the others over 500 Kms - most a few thousand Km away - on the other side of Canada.

These sites (Yahoo and Recreational Flying) are absolutely essential for me....

All the best,

Fly safely.

Dan

Hi Dan

I haven't been to Nova Scotia but have spent a fair bit of time working in Thunder Bay, Toronto and Ottowa..not to mention Medicine Hat and Vancouver….I love Canada but not in the winter… -21deg C with a windchill of -31 deg C in Thunder Bay was hard to take for a Queenslander like myself.

Yes I have replaced all my fuel hose while the aircraft is being repaired with one that has a "thin barrier" inside the hose this stops the osmosis…that is where the hose or any material really can pass either liquid or gas though itself…liquid may very well pass depending on what the osmosis is designed for but basically the fuel doesn't pass through the hose walls but the smell of the chemicals does. I replaced the 4 tank feed lines to my fuel switch manifold also the hose to the fuel reserve and also the 2 coming in from the engine compartment to the fuel pressure gauge and fuel return to tank.

Foxbats are popular here in fact there is one in my hangar but usually most have the sticks here not the yokes. There are a few around with the yokes but from what I have seen most flyers prefer the stick. The differential braking is great for taxiing around the hangars the aircraft turns much better. I find the two brake pedals not a problem even if you have to stomp on them to stop quickly it is very easy to keep the aircraft straight. There has been some discussions on the forum about the hand brake styles of brakes I think it is just what you get used to. The only time I used them was many years ago when I used to fly gliders they had a hand grip brake but they only had one wheel not two. Thinking about it I do like the pedals just on the Sav they are way too short and that is why I have modified mine and added 60 mm to the top of them this will make it more comfortable in flight and less likely to inadvertently hit the brake pedal

Mark

• 1 month later...

Not yet but not too far away..The painter has finally done underneath the front floor so now I can put the nose leg back on.... the cowl and spinner has been painted just need the wingtip done now. I am almost finished my new dash but was waiting until the plane gets on all its legs before I fit that. Just need to fit the new prop and set it and then run her up and balance the prop. New springs for the carbs that will at least make her fly again then I will look at changing the throttle cable system like a lot of others have now.

• Like 2

Noseleg is back in the main undercarriage and wheels and brakes are now changed over also the prop is assembled and on but have to set the pitch yet. Just need to put some carpet on the floor and mount my new modified rudder and brake pedals then fill the fluids up on the engine and go for a start. I still have to change over the dash but will leave that until after she is flying again. Still a small amount of painting to be done but basically its almost ready to fly

IMG_1614_2.jpg.5a611b62d45d2a6deb95da9e8de96be3.jpg

• Like 3

Yes it is good pickup hongie.....I need to change it back . I have been having a discussion with another experienced pilot and sav owner and the differences between the older and newer savs and the angle of the noseleg. I was speaking to him yesterday and they now tried it the way it currently is and it was not very good so mine will be changed back to how it should be.

To clarify...with the standard small nosewheel it probably will be fine but with the 600/6 tyres on the noseleg it is bad...almost uncontrollable so I will put mine back to the way it should be. Danny leach just sent me some photos of his throttle modification for the savannah it looks easy and simple and with the thicker Bowden cable if you break a throttle spring at least you should be able to get some throttle control..it may end up running a bit rough but at least your not stuck on full throttle. Just need to bend the 2 firewall brackets and machine up 2 brass fittings to go on the throttle bar levers..these fittings need to rotate

1063456725_photo2.JPG.b7fe08b8d16710b1d748c35b94270997.JPG

799324022_photo3.JPG.9ee86647cca1757f8e5e8e5d29211648.JPG

468665808_photo4.JPG.e6f9a17f77b47abca7983f930b89af17.JPG

• Like 1

Well done Mark. Good to see you're taking your time with a meticulous rebuild. I'm sure it will be very worthwhile in the end with the knowledge that there have been no shortcuts and a feeling of confidence and achievement when she is back in the air again. Look forward to seeing her again one day on my drive between the Sunny Coast and Brizzy Airport.

Cheers,

Mike.

• Like 1

Hello Mark;I have been following your build on both this site and the Savannahaircraft site since I started building my own Savannah VGW (same plane - North American designation) here in Nova Scotia, Canada, in July of 2011. I have over 1000 hours of logged build time on my project and expect to be airborne in the spring. The attached picture was taken in early December just before I stored her for the winter.

I spent most of the summer of 2012 redesigning the wiring plan and getting input on the mods before doing the electrics installation in the fall of that year. The final revision of my schematic is posted on Savannahaircraft.

You make reference to "the incident" in this post which, I surmise, occurred sometime between May and December of 2013 - but give no details. Is there anything I should be aware of before I begin trials with my plane?

Your repairs look as good as (better than?) the original; especially the lightweight cowling fitted outside the fuselage skin (where ICP should have put it in the first place). Did you layup the fibreglass yourself or is the cowl available through the ICP network?

Fly safely,

Dan Tonner

Dan,

I am interested in your building a Savannah as I had planned on doing the same until the Savannah North America dealership moved and then virtually disappeared. I was wondering what your experience has been buying and importing to Canada. Are you building as 'amateur built'?

I have been following your build on both this site and the Savannahaircraft site since I started building my own Savannah VGW (same plane - North American designation) here in Nova Scotia, Canada, in July of 2011. I have over 1000 hours of logged build time on my project and expect to be airborne in the spring. The attached picture was taken in early December just before I stored her for the winter.

Fly safely,

Dan Tonner