Another NEW Savannah XL on its way

Kyle Communications

Thanks Neil and Gundy

Well will see how I feel...I like to get things right nowadays and feel comfortable in anything I do...Bill may get out and say off you go and I might just tell him to get his bum back in the plane. 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

Was flying on Monday morning doing crosswind landings in some pretty bumpy and gusty conditions at Caloundra and was reasonably happy with most of what I did...just need to get the hours up again with practice practice practice .....17 years is a long time between flying times...

Actually it was interesting on 23 on Monday the wind was between 12 and 23 and also 05 it was all over the place swinging wildly so did a few circuits on each depending on which way the wind was changing but at one stage coming in on 23 I had a tailwind at about 200 feet then around 50 feet it was back to a crosswind...the ground really comes up fast and you can tell you are scooting across the ground

Anyway back to sanding the undercoat on the flaperons...might paint the last wing and flaperons on Thursday then I can do the red trim for the wing on the weekend and work on my new flap mechanism and get it back into the plane

Mark

Hi All

yes I did solo this morning and I must say I have a great feeling of satisfaction. This is my third time at going solo but probably the most satisfying. I think the difference is that I wasn't really that nervous at all maybe its a age thing or just I have more belief in my skills that I didn't have before. I first went solo in gliders when I was around 18 years old in the late 1970's and I remember almost crapping myself I was so nervous I even remember my hands shaking on the stick. It was similar some 10 years later in 1996 when I went solo in a C172 but waas putting off my medical then I did the medical and failed so that was it for me in GA. This time this solo at the age of 52 almost 53 is certainly the most satisfying I have had and I really can't stop smiling today

Mark

Thanks Gundy and 80Kts

I still have to log around 5 hours solo before I can go for the licence test and I will do a few more hours with Bill honing a few skills. One thing today I did and I found it fantastic was doing sideslips. I don't remember doing any in gliding as the air brakes were always really effective and certainly didn't in the C172. But in the Sav it is so controllable and such a great way to lose height without the speed. I had done one or two before but today it was really great and enjoyed it immensely so will be practicing lots of them. I have been a bit frustrated with myself for not being better than I thought I should be but I solved the problem last monday. I took my big clod hopper shoes off and just flew with my feet the difference was phenomenal I now have the feel of the aircraft I was expecting and now I can put it down the centreline easily and nice flairs and pretty good landings. I have always been a rudder guy flying gliders and I wasn't getting the feel I expected. Now I do and it is so much better so if anyone else is in the same psition take your shoes off and feel the difference.........hahahha brings to mind Maj's recent hairy leg pic of him flying the lightwing with the thongs on.....maybe we should ask him if he wears the "other" type of thong as well 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

next week or so will fly out to Bradfield and shoot circuits out there ready for when Kev Walters puts me through the test

Mark

Thanks Gundy and 80KtsI still have to log around 5 hours solo before I can go for the licence test and I will do a few more hours with Bill honing a few skills. One thing today I did and I found it fantastic was doing sideslips. I don't remember doing any in gliding as the air brakes were always really effective and certainly didn't in the C172. But in the Sav it is so controllable and such a great way to lose height without the speed. I had done one or two before but today it was really great and enjoyed it immensely so will be practicing lots of them. I have been a bit frustrated with myself for not being better than I thought I should be but I solved the problem last monday. I took my big clod hopper shoes off and just flew with my feet the difference was phenomenal I now have the feel of the aircraft I was expecting and now I can put it down the centreline easily and nice flairs and pretty good landings. I have always been a rudder guy flying gliders and I wasn't getting the feel I expected. Now I do and it is so much better so if anyone else is in the same psition take your shoes off and feel the difference.........hahahha brings to mind Maj's recent hairy leg pic of him flying the lightwing with the thongs on.....maybe we should ask him if he wears the "other" type of thong as well 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

next week or so will fly out to Bradfield and shoot circuits out there ready for when Kev Walters puts me through the test

Mark

I had the same problem, Mark. I started 'solid soled' shoes when I first started flying lessons and I found it quite a struggle. What's worse, my shoe size is 12 and the Piper Pacer has toe brakes set up for someone with much shorter feet. That makes landing very scary because I was really worried that I would touch one -or both- of the brakes with potentially disastrous consequences.

This issue was first fixed by switching me to a Piper Super Cub which has heel brakes. After a few more lessons, I changed to a set of cheap canvas shoes with quite thin soles and the rudder feel is s-o-o-o much better. I still wonder why the flight instructors never suggested this?

I took my big clod hopper shoes off and just flew with my feet the difference was phenomenal

Yep, like 80k, I have a light pair of thin soled shoes I fly in - much nicer than the clodhoppers.

Funny about the light shoes or no shoes for flying. My mate Poll suggested the old style moccasins would be the go for flying the Thruster as it is not all that comfortable with your knees up around your armpits when you wear thick soled boots!!! So I've been using an old pair of joggers that aren't too bad. The bar type pedals in the Thruster wouldn't be comfortable in bare feet I don't reckon. I've just purchased a pair of DBs (Desert boots for those too young to know), but these ones don't have the ripple sole, rather quite a thin flat sole so should be good.

I'll let you know after trying them out this weekend. Looks like the weather gods are playing the game for the first time in about 6 weeks..

I can't wait.

Pud

Well my feet are big as well (size 12 but need size 13 shoes) I always wear "Brooks" sports style shoes they have thickish soles and are fantastic for your feet when you are in them 18 hrs a day but for flying they are no good. The Sav pedals are small but with no shoes my feet fit nicely onto the pedals and I can easily use the brakes as well. I had to have my feet in a position with the shoes on as I was partially operating the toe brakes when using rudder at landing but now with no shoes it is great. It really did change the feel of control dramatically yet I used to fly previously with similar shoes. Anyway all I can say even this morning I am still feeling very pleased with myself. Going flying again tomorrow morning :)

Mark

Hopefully you won't get too bored but here is a excerpt (10 mins)of the 1.5 hrs of video taken by my cheap $80.00 Aldi camera just stuck with velcro to the dash of Bills savannah. I had just been away for an hours solo flying and this was the 2 circuits I did before picking Bill up and flying back to his place. I like sideslips :)

Mark

• Like 1

Hi 80Kts

I just love sideslipping in the Sav it is so controllable with no increase in speed and you come down about 1500 to 2000 ft a minute I did a couple that day earlier when I did some EFAT stuff then I did a full stop and Bill got out and I went for an hours flying or should I say practice at making my flying better the video is after that hours solo flying.

Well I have painted the last wing white on Thursday night and masked and painted the red flash on the top this morning so now need to leave it until Monday to dry enough where it will get wrapped up in plastic and put back in the rack. I then need to finsh sanding the undercoat on the flaperons and paint them white, then I have a few other parts to paint and the wing struts and jury struts to paint although they have all been etch primed. The its clear out my messy workshop so I can fit the fuselage into the middle section of the shed and look at putting the wings and struts on and all the other finishing bits so I can finally see the end of the tunnel now and its getting exciting :)

I have my tempered piece of aluminium back now and am working on the new flap actuator plates today and tomorrow will take some pics and post them when its done

Mark

Hi All

The new flap actuator has worked out pretty well. I made the 2 side plates and did a mirror copy of each and added some lightening holes it was easier to do round ones than the cnc cutout ones. Spent quite a lot of time getting them very accurate. I am happy with the result I have sat in the plane with the new positions and its perfect I reckon. When the flaps are away I don't have to lean forward to get the handle its a nice full arm stretch and in the full flap position its pretty good as well and of course it will be at max mechanical advantage not like now where it is over centre and hard to use for myself. The pictures show the progression and also the trial fit up you will see the series of pics from no flap to first stage then last stage also you will see with the telescoping magnet the original position with it compared to the new position of no flap and full flap

Just have to sand them a bit more and then etch the brackets and paint them and refit the whole assembly. One thing I did find the very thin rear brackets that hold the side frames to the cross member one had a small split in the corner so might be an idea to check yours in a aircraft that has a few hours on it. I have replaced these 2 brackets with right angle aluminium its far stronger than the original and will be far better

Mark

IMG_1412_1.thumb.jpg.697da1cddd484607f932416613518ba2.jpg

IMG_1413_1.thumb.jpg.8f19f45f0f081b6426f46c211f0908ac.jpg

IMG_1414_1.thumb.jpg.f79e4feb8d1ca7b2288b2fcf3b4beff1.jpg

IMG_1417_1.thumb.jpg.c2b584948bb057892920bf0ff1d277e1.jpg

IMG_1418_1.thumb.jpg.5464ec7bebb6c66239837c35a181b04a.jpg

IMG_1420_1.thumb.jpg.8ed720c167c93c25c2064ecf129a3548.jpg

IMG_1411_1.thumb.jpg.3f475d6e0dbc87807e0e39da4f8aacba.jpg

IMG_1409_1.thumb.jpg.1a2f8081c89e622316ff7f5cbd460088.jpg

IMG_1408_1.thumb.jpg.06bfa20d5a0ad6a637fe1d65e968d2d0.jpg

G'day Mark. Looks like you have achieved what you want in repositioning the flap lever. The factory may even take you up on the modification drawings!

Glad to hear that the flying is going well. You mention "Bill" as the isntructor, is he from a Caboolture Flying School?

You also mentioned doing the test out west so I gather Bill does not have Examiner approvals.

Good luck with the training / test. and looking forward to hearing of the first flight of your aircraft.

I hope you have got some hangarage sorted.

Cheers

Hi Mike

Just finished painting the brackets so should install it all back in this week I won't really know the difference until mine flys but I am positive it will be a lot better than the standard one. I am learning with Bill Grieve from Aeroskil he has the exact same version Sav that I am building but of course its a factory built he can run his school from his place but until he becomes a senior instructor the test is done by his CFI Kevin Walters. Kevin is a very highly respected instructor and a great pilot being an old ag pilot. If he says I am ok to go then all will be ok ....Its over at his airfield near Atkinsons Dam which I have never flown to or at so will go over there in the next week or so and shoot some circuits to become familiar with the place and also to meet him and have a chat may even take him up and get some advice from him on what I need to practice on.

Will take some pics once all the brackets are back in and the flap handle is painted. Just waiting for the wings to harden up and when I can get a hand will put it in the rack with the other one then I can finish painting all the other parts and its time to put her all together for the first time. Got a few irons in the fire regarding the hangar so just have to wait for news on that. I still have plenty of work to do yet anyway before she goes over to the hangar

Mark

Mark,

The flap lever mod looks just great. Looks as though it will have some ergonomic advantage as well with more pull in line with the arm than the more backward movement in the original, as well as giving you more space. Good to hear you are getting a big buzz out of you conversion training. Congrats on being solo; nothing quite like it is there?

Bob

Mark,

Wonder could I request a small favour of you. I assume you still have a wing not fitted to the fuselage. Could you measure the minimum distance between the two tangs on the wing root that mount to the cabin frame. I say minimum because I think they will be closest at the lower edges. I have set my cabin frame up in the supplied jig, but the distance between the mounts does not correspond with the manual. Perhaps the manual is wrong again. Have been trying to contact Reg but without success.

Thanks in anticipation,

Bob

Hey Mark!

Congrats on your most recent solo!! Can't wait to see your Savvy finished and flying. Will have to try and stop in again soon but 3/4 of the way through my Airbus training at the moment. Ahhh, the French!! (secretly loving it ssshhhh)

All the best,

Mike.

I am learning with Bill Grieve from Aeroskil he has the exact same version Sav that I am building but of course its a factory built he can run his school from his place but until he becomes a senior instructor the test is done by his CFI Kevin Walters. Kevin is a very highly respected instructor and a great pilot being an old ag pilot. If he says I am ok to go then all will be ok ....Its over at his airfield near Atkinsons Dam which I have never flown to or at so will go over there in the next week or so and shoot some circuits to become familiar with the place and also to meet him and have a chat may even take him up and get some advice from him on what I need to practice on.

I'll throw it out there: I will be looking for a Savannah instructor in Enzed starting sometime in the second half of this year. Does anyone out there know of one?

The only geographically close alternative is that there is an instructor with a Rotax-powered Rans Coyote S-6ES (rag'n'tube high wing plane). Has anyone flown in one of those and -if so- are they vastly different to the Savannah?

220px-RANS_S-6ES_COYOTE_II_N43822_02.jpg.ff331963f2e87c1ae279977bbf337c3a.jpg