Another NEW Savannah XL on its way

Kyle Communications

Hi All

Well pretty much installed the bits I wanted to for now. These parts were needed to be done now rather than later. The only things left to do is when I order the chute and it arrives is to mount the new plate on the top of the fuselage and cut out the square hole for the chute exit a small plate slips in between the upper fuselage skin and the plate riveted on top this is the pull out when the chute deploys the rocket as a similar one a small circle that gets pushed out then the rocket is fired. All I need to undo is the rail behind the lexan top so I can cut the small hole for the chute strap to connect to the main 2.4mtr long strap that connects the 4 straps to the cabin frame that is done by a carabina and sits in the tray under the lexan..then of course install the 2 mounting rails for the chute and fit the big red handle between the joystick and the flap lever.

If I can get a car trailer this weekend I will shift the Sav up to the hangar for final assembly and setup. So if you see me floating around at YCAB on saturday or sunday say hello..there is a flyin this weekend I think as well. I am in hangar 91 if you see the door open and the Sav in there drop in and introduce yourself

Mark

IMG_1538_1.thumb.jpg.f950e6e2e6c54b5f51766b2056274d49.jpg

IMG_1536_1.thumb.jpg.a8d10cf739ecdd0cb0f4b87c8fb6e208.jpg

IMG_1535_1.thumb.jpg.60a24904926eb2e6617dcc196b6a9163.jpg

IMG_1534_1.thumb.jpg.a0d26f30957f64e91c9b6714a3244465.jpg

Well the big day has dawned today. Organised the car trailer yesterday and got a reasonably early start this morning. Loaded her up and strapped her in for the ride. Arrived at the hangar and unloaded her. The wings went up in my iveco daily van they fit with about 30 mm to spare and can't more or get squashed so safer and easier probably than the trailer. Spent a bit of the day getting the rest of the parts up there. Have organised 3 other guys and myself of course for 10am tomorrow to help me get the wings on. Normally 3 total is fine but I think I am going to have to mod the wing skin on the top ear the rear wing mounts to accommodate the rear loops for the BRS so need 3 to do the holding while I do some marking then put the wing on the table and see what needs to be done. it will just be a bit of upper wing skin and not anything structural at all...I will take some pics when its done....anyway not too long to go now until the L4 goes over her

Mark

IMG_1545_1.thumb.jpg.f54f3a14caecb3d6efa8de88428da5e5.jpg

IMG_1544_1.thumb.jpg.c2c8f942a6e0c271fb31cd436c05f0bf.jpg

IMG_1543_1.thumb.jpg.8bcd0ef46ba94db7ec72769b16375317.jpg

IMG_1540_1.thumb.jpg.b45d71b4da84c18c0671076c7dce6866.jpg

• Like 1

Found this pic that Massimo Belloni in Italy sent me of the BRS in his savannah when I first asked the question about BRS....This shows a cutout of the top wing skin at the rear wing mount area his was a factory built...so that cools I know what to do now instead of guessing

SAV02.jpg.6930ad548deeb0423e7dec39119fd59d.jpg

Thanks Pud and Mike

Spent all day at the hangar today and with help from Mark Gray who just got his Sav S flying 2 weeks ago he built from the kit and Roger another sav owner and Cosmick on the forum and another fellow we managed to get the wings on and all bolted up ....the struts are all on I must thank Cosmick for his help for most of the day today after the others left you really need 2 people to hold nuts and bolts especially doing up the wing mounting bolts they are hard at the best of time but with the parachute loops there it is made very difficult. I was right you do have to cut the wing skin at the top and it worked out pretty well I just used a dremel with a carborundum disc and covered the edges with rubber strip it looks reasonable. I am knackered today and forgot to take some pics will do next time at the hangar....definately on wednesday but maybe earlier if I can swing it..can only work during the day as the hangar has no lighting

I am away on a cruise on the 12th of next month so I hope to have it all done and inspected and my paperwork sent off by then as it takes 1 to 2 weeks to get the paperwork back it will be just right after I get back from a nice relaxing holiday

Mark

Hi Steve

I haven't even got my certificate yet hopefully before I go on the cruise....Kev Walters is away this week doing the same would you believe so after he gets back will see how I go....but somehow I don't think I will have the XC done in 3 weeks :)....but don't fret you can bet I will be out that way soon enough...you never know could hitch a ride to it though

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Well I haven't posted anything for a while thats due to me getting the Sav ready all the little things every nut and bolt checked all castellated nuts with split pins all pivots greased etc etc check and recheck everything is ok.

Went to Childers for saturday lots of Savs there and Bill flew up with Jenny so the aircraft I am training in was there so in the afternoon we went for a fly to my farm which is only 14 nm away and landed on my strip...I can not believe how different the farm looks from the air

The L4 will do my inspection on this Wednesday arvo coming that way I can get the paperwork off to RAUS the next day then I am off for a holiday next saturday for a week so it should be back that week after I come back. I still have to do a carby balance and a 3 minute full power engine run which I might try to get done tomorrow then hopefully if the weather remains fine I will go for my pilots certificate also later this week coming...so its a big week for me not to mention work has been crazy as my installer has ended up in hospital for 5 days so Mark is back doing installations of two ways into trucks....I am getting too old and too fat for this work...ho hum well we often have to do what we don't like at times

Mark

IMG_0398_1.thumb.jpg.8efcca70626f69007aea6ee1ea1e322a.jpg

IMG_0394_1.thumb.jpg.a0b699b36b6bae2687dd0e3b696ce383.jpg

• Like 1

Good luck with the L4 inspection and Pilot Certificate test Mark. All will go well and you will be able to enjoy the holiday!

Cheers

Hi AllWell I haven't posted anything for a while thats due to me getting the Sav ready all the little things every nut and bolt checked all castellated nuts with split pins all pivots greased etc etc check and recheck everything is ok.

Went to Childers for saturday lots of Savs there and Bill flew up with Jenny so the aircraft I am training in was there so in the afternoon we went for a fly to my farm which is only 14 nm away and landed on my strip...I can not believe how different the farm looks from the air

The L4 will do my inspection on this Wednesday arvo coming that way I can get the paperwork off to RAUS the next day then I am off for a holiday next saturday for a week so it should be back that week after I come back. I still have to do a carby balance and a 3 minute full power engine run which I might try to get done tomorrow then hopefully if the weather remains fine I will go for my pilots certificate also later this week coming...so its a big week for me not to mention work has been crazy as my installer has ended up in hospital for 5 days so Mark is back doing installations of two ways into trucks....I am getting too old and too fat for this work...ho hum well we often have to do what we don't like at times

Mark

Looks like a BIG week ahead. I hope it will all be successful!

BTW: is the owner of the orange Sav at Childers advocating a new RA-Aus constitution or an Australian Constitution?

Hi 80 kts

Thats Charles from Gympie...he has written a couple of books on why we need a new constitution for the the country and ...he actually has some pretty good ideas.

I was at the hangar today put fuel in the tanks to check all my internals had no leaks and promptly smelt petrol...looked underneath and the valve on the fuel drain on the reserve tank was leaking badly. I just thought it was high but realised there was some thing wrong so I pulled it out and the brass side cover had been bent it had been dropped at some stage....not by me mind you so I fixed that but broke a small piece of the brass should away but it doesn't stop it from functioning perfectly now. So after checking all of that I pushed her out of the bedroom and chocked the wheels and tied her off to my big van and started the engine....after turning it over first without the mags on to make sure I had oil pressure. Ran it up to temp then shut it down removed the chocks but left the rope to check the braked held ok and started anagin.

All was fine and the brakes worked so shut down and unhooked the rope and started again then went for a taxi all around the place at YCAB. I did find I will need to adjust the steering I have a slight turn to the right only small but would be annoying and the brake pedals need to come toward me so I don't have to roll my feet quite so far. I will do all that after the inspection which if all goes well will be wednesday afternoon

Mark

IMG_0405_1.thumb.jpg.5fd6b9800343c440aa312e2034377da5.jpg

IMG_0403_1.thumb.jpg.838d8d79d0c3686fd665427f3f93310e.jpg

IMG_0402_1.thumb.jpg.3709dfaff28dac5217df301c68f1ad38.jpg

Hi Mike

Youtube edited video of flying over the farm...it looks so different from the air...filmed with my Iphone

I did a screen capture of the video playing on youtube and the orange lines are the borders and of course the red ones are the 2 strips....the shape doesn't look right of course due to parallax you can get the idea the right hand boundary is 1.1km long and the further to the top boundary is 900 mtrs where the video makes it look opposite

Mark

1163003643_ScreenShot2012-05-08at7_13_28PM.thumb.jpg.039513536a38aecf98d9ef2e125ae1e9.jpg

• Like 1

Hi All

Well the saga is almost complete

I had the aircraft inspection yesterday and all went extremely well so the Sav is signed off and ready to go and today we flew out to Lynfield in Bills aircraft and I did my flight test with Kevin Walters and passed all ok so I am a happy camper. The Sav paperwork and my pilot application will go into the mail tomorrow and on saturday I am away to the south seas for some rest and relaxation for a week. The paperwork should be back the week after I get back from the cruise and all I need to do now is balance the carbys and do the 3 minute full power engine run then she is ready to go. Exciting times now...I can't wait to start flying off the 25 hours even if it is only 25 NM radius from caboolture

Mark

• Like 1

Thanks Guys

Yes I am no risk taker I am afraid so its steady steady for me ...as they say now I have a licence to learn.....I must admit I am very chuffed with myself now but still probably 3 weeks away yet until I am actually flying my own aircraft waiting on paperwork and still a couple of things to do on her...and Neil wasn't it just a fantastic day for flying today just perfect wish they were all as good as today

Mark

Hi All Well the saga is almost complete

I had the aircraft inspection yesterday and all went extremely well so the Sav is signed off and ready to go and today we flew out to Lynfield in Bills aircraft and I did my flight test with Kevin Walters and passed all ok so I am a happy camper. The Sav paperwork and my pilot application will go into the mail tomorrow and on saturday I am away to the south seas for some rest and relaxation for a week. The paperwork should be back the week after I get back from the cruise and all I need to do now is balance the carbys and do the 3 minute full power engine run then she is ready to go. Exciting times now...I can't wait to start flying off the 25 hours even if it is only 25 NM radius from caboolture

Mark

Great stuff Mark. I was hoping all would fall in place for you so that you could go on that cruise and relax and be very excited and ready for the test flying on your return.

Enjoy the cruise.

Cheers