My wife found this....

M61A1

Poor bugger! Do airline booking systems have secret access to our vital statistics? I am skinny and have twice been booked next to huge blokes. Luckily they were clean and polite.

Samoan Air are the first to have the guts to charge fares according to weight. More should, as most overweight people have some choice in their body shape.

I don't. Nobody caters for my height. I am accustomed to having no leg room and enduring seats which aggravate my back problems. End of winge.

Guest Maj Millard
Poor bugger! Do airline booking systems have access to our vital statistics? I am skinny and have twice been booked next to huge blokes. Luckily they were clean and polite.Samoan Air are the first to have the guts to charge fares according to weight. More should, as most overweight people have some choice in their body shape.

I don't. Nobody caters for my height. I am accustomed to having no leg room and enduring seats which aggravate my back problems. End of winge.

Solution...... Fly Jodel Air..!,

You think you had problems!

Some years ago I did a return flight Sydney to London flying with Air Tours.

I was lucky enough to get 4 seats to stretch out on on the outbound trip, plus a couple of hours on the flight deck, but due to the narrow pitch of the seats my sister suggested I request a seat for the return flight. I got on the plane right by the exit door as the flight attendant said "that your seat right there Sir, the best in the house"!

Then this bloke got on who was built like the proverbial sh*thouse and sat down next to me.

He told me later that he was 23 stone in weight, and for the next 23hrs, I could not fully breathe in, and had to attempt to eat and sleep with my elbows rubbing together.

If i'd seen him in the local supermarket before the flight, i'd have told him that deodorants were available half way down on the l/h side in isle 5.

Poor bugger! Do airline booking systems have access to our vital statistics? I am skinny and have twice been booked next to huge blokes. Luckily they were clean and polite.Samoan Air are the first to have the guts to charge fares according to weight. More should, as most overweight people have some choice in their body shape.

Don't know about that. I'm not obese but I am 100kg, despite which I manage to keep my elbows within the seat arms. Should I pay more than the jockey sitting in the next seat who also has the use of a whole seat, even if he doesn't use it?

Should I pay more than the jockey sitting in the next seat who also has the use of a whole seat, even if he doesn't use it?

Yes , he only uses the whole seat when the hostie isn't busy, you use the whole seat all the time!

Just a thought I had but maybe instead of going off weight it should be width based,

They could have a frame that is the same width as a seat and if you fit through that's fine if not a surcharge would apply, a bit like the height sticks at shows and the like.

I like Marty d am somewhere around 100kgs but i still fit within the confines of 1 seat :-) but have also seen people the same weight who are maybe not twice as wide but considerably wider so I do think the width based system would be slightly fairer. Another thing if it was weight based i wonder how the sales of laxatives would go at the airport?spacer.png

I think it is all BS to say you don't have choice about your weight in some circumstances. It's genetic etc. How many fatties were there working on the Burma Railway. They all had a choice. Work & get a piitance to eat or not & get shot. Not good odds but there still was a choice.

I think it is all BS to say you don't have choice about your weight in some circumstances. It's genetic etc. How many fatties were there working on the Burma Railway. They all had a choice. Work & get a piitance to eat or not & get shot. Not good odds but there still was a choice.

Oh, is it time to start slagging the fatties? Have we finished with asylum seekers?

I'm sorry kg (shortened the name as it was suitable in this context don't you think?) but to say those very unfortunate people had a choice is disgraceful and not a view I can agree with, I have never been a prisoner of war and I hope you haven't either and I just don't think we could even come close to understanding the pressure that they were under but I don't think they had any choice in the matter.

Sorry I don't mean to sound grumpy or rude but I don't think the aviation laughter section is a place to bring pow's.

and on a lighter note I have no choice but to be the size I am because the wife puts the food on the table and I said no once:thrown out:never again spacer.png

My choice of subject matter to emphasize my point was not in the best of taste and I apologise for any offence I have made.

My point is that we have become a nation of overweight and obese people to a level never seen in the past. Have a look at some old newsreels only 20 to 30 years ago & there were only a few overweight/obese people around. Walk down the street now and it is the norm. What disturbs me is the number of overweight/obese school kids I now see. It has all been said before but it is our sedentary lifestyle coupled with too much processed food and being bombarded with advertising for all the wrong things.

We all have a choice. Do the same as we have to become what we are or make a life change. Change diet, habits and exercise. Simple as that.

... we have become a nation of overweight and obese people to a level never seen in the past. Have a look at some old newsreels only 20 to 30 years ago & there were only a few overweight/obese people around. ...

So true, KG. Angelina Jolie just finished filming scenes for her new historic movie just up the road from us. Lots of locals auditioned as extras, but few made the cut. They were looking for thin and skinny. Damn, I should have tried out...

When I was at primary school around 65 years ago there was always one fattie on average in a class of thirty, I wonder what the ratio is today.

I now weigh 70 kgs and in spite of every attempt possible, I have never been able to exceed 72 kgs. spacer.png

At a recent fly-in I frightened the daylights out of some spectators by shouting Boo! as they passed in front of my aircraft. I was hiding behind one of my propeller blades. spacer.png

On a commercial flight I can share my seat with anyone and have no problems passing the food trolley to go to the toilet. spacer.png

On another positive note all of my aircraft have performed exceptionally well, in particular the rate of climb. spacer.png

I could list many more advantages but I don't want to upset anyone who is struggling to get their weight down. spacer.png

Alan.

So true, KG. Angelina Jolie just finished filming scenes for her new movie just up the road from us. Lots of locals auditioned as extras, but few made the cut. They were looking for thin and skinny. Damn, I should have tried out...

Why wasn't I told???

Alan.

I can't see how being bombarded with advertising makes you obese. Surely there is something between the ears to sort out the adverts.

There might be something between your ears but whatever is between the ears of the great majority of overweight/obese people out there, it isn't what we once used to call common sense'

There might be something between your ears but whatever is between the ears of the great majority of overweight/obese people out there, it isn't what we once used to call common sense'

Kg while a do agree that the majority of obese people do have a choice I wouldn't like to generalise about the occurrence of common sense in obese people, (personally I think the majority of humans full stop have no common sense:crazy:) and I think MY lack of common sense has nothing to do with my obesity/overweightedness.

Yes our lifestyle has a lot to do with our problems just sit down and work out what I like to call screen time of the average person today compared to even 10 years ago and then have a look at our diets, (even the fresh food we get doesn't taste anywhere near as good as home grown because its grown to last and look good not to taste the best) consumers have been found to want consistency and you can't make products equivalent to the best fruit,vege,milk year round but you can bring the quality down to the lowest year round and we as consumers are happier with that than to have a variance in a product.

Fat salt and sugar are added to everything processed, as the taste becomes something we like. The advertising etc conceals this fact. It is very hard to find out from the labelling what is actually in the food. You almost have to forego processed food and certainly nearly every fast food. You probably wouldn't want to know what is in some things. Fruit drinks are very high GI Which gives the pancreas a big shock, whereas the actual fruit is not so high GI.

It is a fact that 40 years ago a fat person was rare in a photograph. It's mostly a lifestyle thing. Related diseases like cardiac, cancer and diabetes are all on the increase. Our children will have shorter lifespans than we do for the first time ever. Nev