Drifter Pics

Tex

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stealthy! Looks good. Well done on the rebuild, you better change your aircraft status under your avatar 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Actually..... the "under construction" bit refers to a scratch build I have in my shed that I started before I rebuilt the Drifter and the 95.10. I haven't so much as driven a rivet on it for around 2 years.

I dropped out to Merc's the other day, and he had bit of a play in it.

Guest Maj Millard

That looks like a bigpod you've got there....mine used to shake side to side a bit until I fitted a couple of tubular side braces to it. I also dropped the lower rear portion down about four inches to streamline the belly tank a bit ( you don't have one fitted), both these mods made the plane fly nicer. The tubular braces ended up below the thighs when seated........I do like the stealth look, the only other all black UL I've ever seen was an all black trike and wing that was based at Hedlow in central Qld and flown by an undertaker !.............Maj....024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I work on the principal "everything looks good in black".

The pod seems fairly stable in all flight regimes so far, although it may be necessary to put a support frame around the top of the windscreen, it flattens out at the top over 70kts, and more with G.

There was a 19 rego pod at Fishers sale, I did think about purchasing it and trimming it back to resemble the earlier narrow pods.

• 2 months later...
Awesome! Hey where do you get those blue seatbelts from and how much mate?

Just thought I'd let you know.......those nice blue seat belts were crap, I've swapped them out for something that doesn't flap itself loose in flight. It got really annoying tightening my harness every 30 seconds or so. It may pay to get something you can physically check before buying, these looked nice, but didn't work well.

• Like 1

Hi Laurie,That would be amazing to come along and check out the paragliding side of things. I have only had one flight in a paraglider before, but am very keen to get my licence. Apparently Manilla is the place to go for a week or so, and be able to return with a licence.

Where do you go paragliding in Vic? I just arrived from NSW the other day, so would be keen to plan a catch up, with yourself, Geoff, and Dad, for a day of flying. :rotary:

Emah.

g'day Emah, boleropilot here, drifter Driver from Boonah - prior to joining the ranks of the chosen I flew paragliders for a couple of years

Wonderful flying thingos they are, I'd go back to flying them again if the Financial Controller would let me...

Cheers for now

BP

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
g'day Emah, boleropilot here, drifter Driver from Boonah - prior to joining the ranks of the chosen I flew paragliders for a couple of yearsWonderful flying thingos they are, I'd go back to flying them again if the Financial Controller would let me...

Cheers for now

BP

Hey Boleropilot!

I'm certainly keen on the idea...I've seen a few second hand paragliders on eBay yet have been informed that I need to do my training first!

Road trip to Manilla I'm thinking!!

Were you in a powered paraglider?

Kind regards,

Emah

G'day Emah, I always flew a standard paraglider, from what I've seen of the powered variety they don't fill me with a great deal of interest - certainly nice to be able to climb to height and then glide on, but they're heavy, noisy and you need a backup crew + ute/trailer if you're going x-country

I'd be very careful about a second hand 'glider from eBay - the condition of the lines and the cloth are very important - if you have knowledge of a canopy owned by someone that you can verify is honest, I'd still get the canopy appraised by a registered dealer, checking for wear, damage and value - you may find that spending a little more will get you a new canopy

Obviously you will be buying a DHV1 canopy for starters, make sure it is and not a 1.5 or 2 - you really need the 'gentle' characteristics of a 1 until you have got a goodly amount of hours under your belt - I always flew a 1 (Gin Bolero - hence my moniker) and I was once flying alongside a 2 when we hit rough air - my Bolero didn't even flinch, the guy in the 2 had his hands full trying to recover from three giant tucks, one after another.....yowsa! He told me later he nearly threw his 'chute, and was gobsmacked to look up to check on me, and then see the amount of height he'd lost

Manilla is nice, last time I was there Mount Borah had plenty of launches, but not all that much height (compared to Beechmont or Tambo) - nice short little flights to the bottom are fine for training, and if you get radio instruction from the ground the instructor may be able to talk you into a thermal - woohoo!!!

If there's one thing I can stress as vitally important it's to practice practice practice your ground-handling - I didn't, and many times I was left on the hill on fabulous flying days because I couldn't launch in gusty conditions - it's also the reason why I ended up stuffing up a take-off and breaking my leg...(doh)

Any info I can help with, please ask, happy to help

Regards

BP

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...