Lismore RV-12

rgmwa

I don't seeing it as a intentional vertical pull- up at all, you just don't do that sort of thing on a first flight..even for Wayne.

Exactly my point - 78kn is not enough of a margin to be pulling up hard, if it had been held on the deck to 100kn or more and then zoomed, perhaps that would have been a suitable explanation then. While knowing nothing more than what has been written here, I'd be thinking that either control failure or incapacitation to be more likely than showboating error.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No

MattyWhich one ? All I see is a list of videos.

Jake J

Not on my utube mate, there is some footage out there though, I think the ATSB might have it , we'll have to wait till a full report comes out ,

Matty

rgmwa are you building an rv12? The anti servo tab on stabilator it would operate by deflecting more as stabilator is moved ie when up stabilator is used the trim tab would also go up thereby applying aerodynamic force to return stabilator to more neutral position yes? Is it at all possible (I would think it not possible)to assemble so that it becomes a servo tab ie it goes the opposite way thereby making stabilator wanting to go full travel either up or down(would be unstable)? Just trying to think what would cause such a strong pitch up. Tom

Most sensible thing I have seen suggested on this thread was

maybe we need to look at pilot incapacitation at some stage?

Could have contributed to the strong pitch up.

Wayne was an amazing man and pilot, but he was very human just like the rest of us.

Guest Maj Millard
Most sensible thing I have seen suggested on this thread was

Could have contributed to the strong pitch up.

Wayne was an amazing man and pilot, but he was very human just like the rest of us.

Good in theory, but unfortunatly there was no evidence present from the autopsy to indicate any physical problems with the pilot...........Maj.....

Good in theory, but unfortunatly there was no evidence present from the autopsy to indicate any physical problems with the pilot...........Maj.....

I will PM you Ross, I don't think posting here will achieve anything more in this discussion.

Its not the final decision, but the data from the Dynon paints the picture. There is discussion on other forums about it being a 'zoom takeoff' with a pull out, I would find that highly unlikely on a forst flight, some of the trim data is incredibly interesting. I wont speculate, but look at that trim sheet.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/4469487/AE-2013-069_Final.pdf

According to the report the trim range was mapped on the Dynon from+1 to -1. However, the range shown on the graph is only a tiny fraction of this (from about 0 to-.03), so the actual trim movement was so small it's quite possible the trim switch wasn't touched again after being set for takeoff. Could just be seeing the response to the change in aerodynamic pressure on the tab throughout the flight.

rgmwa

• Agree 1