Malaysian Airlines MH370

I think I speak for everyone on this forum when I express my deepest sympathies for those affected by this tragedy. My thoughts are with the passenger's families, and I wish the Search & Rescue team the best of luck in their search for the aircraft.

You can read more here: http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/site/dark-site.html

• Agree 5

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something tells me they aren't going to find everyone happily floating around in a life raft, unfortunately... I hope they get to the bottom of why it crashed quickly, a 777 going down in clear weather with no distress signals is surprising

• Agree 2

This is very sad. If what is reported (sudden loss of radar & comms) is correct my first thought would be jihad. Asides from voice communications I understood the engine management system has a data stream transmitting to base, anyone know if this is correct or how it works?

• Agree 1

This is very sad. If what is reported (sudden loss of radar & comms) is correct my first thought would be jihad. Asides from voice communications I understood the engine management system has a data stream transmitting to base, anyone know if this is correct or how it works?

Jihad isn't the first thing that comes to my mind.I thinks that is just you.

• Agree 2
  • Caution 1

Actually, there is some possibility of it being terrorism - apparently there were two passengers on the flight carrying stolen passports...

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Thanks for the link! Worrying stuff.

I am wondering how the two passengers were able to board the aircraft with passports which likely bore no resemblance to them, and were cancelled over a year ago?

Having travelled from Kuala Lumpur airport (on Malaysia Airlines 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif) to Langkawi, I actually find these terrorism theories quite surprising, the airport's security procedures were organised and thorough, I even had my baggage screened twice before I boarded.

I'm hoping they locate the wreckage soon... at least to stop the media speculating.

• Like 2

I am not too politically correct to have it up the top of my list either! Only thing is that becomes a bit pointless unless someone claims resposibility and takes the credit for the crime.

• Agree 3

I am wondering how the two passengers were able to board the aircraft with passports which likely bore no resemblance to them

Remember that part of the population in Xinjiang is non-han. In Urumchi in 94 maybe 5% of the population could pass for southern european and some had blond hair/blue eyes.

It appears that the two in question were codeshare and booked on a chinese airline.

I used to fly with Malaysia airlines from Oz to Saudi Arabia. Great airline. The 2 dudes on the aircraft using the stolen passports is a bit of a worry. The passports were reported stolen back in 2011 (I think). I dunno how anybody they can get through customs using stolen passports.

It's starting to look more and more like an attack... 2 passengers travelling on stolen passports (how does that even happen in this day and age?) and 2 more "being investigated". FBI and NTSB are both sending teams.

Parallels between Air France 447 and this have been made in the sense that people jumped to this conclusion and it turned out to be pilot error, but that crash happened in a pretty severe storm and this was a clear night. It's hard to imagine how an experienced captain and co pilot can crash a modern airliner when they are cruising at 35,000.

• Agree 1

Geoffrey Thomas (aviation journalist) was on channel 7 this morning, he was saying that the ocean in the area is relatively shallow, so hopefully the black boxes will be found within the next few weeks.

Guest Andys@coffs

Not that I'm putting the terrorist idea forward or rejecting it, but I would ask,.... if I was a terrorist of the variety that are ascribed the name "Muslim fundamentalists" what airline would give me maximum jihad points..........

I'm guessing that I'd target good old USA as my ideal target, then all the coalition of the willing as a fallback, then anyone else who has a downer on Muslim doctrine.........Does Malaysia fit into any of those category's.......Ok it was code share......does China fit into any of those category's (arguably yes to the downer on the Chinese Muslims) .......but in that event realistically Id go for a Chinese plane not a Malaysian one where 61% of the country are followers of Islam.......)

So if Jihad was a driver I cant personally see it as a logical join the dots in this case.......

But crazier things have happened so I'll sit back and see what comes from this. Hopefully it wont take too long to get some answers.....no wreckage and no luggage and no bodies is surprising at this point in time though considering how many are looking

Andy

Not that I'm putting the terrorist idea forward or rejecting it, but I would ask,.... if I was a terrorist of the variety that are ascribed the name "Muslim fundamentalists" what airline would give me maximum jihad points..........I'm guessing that I'd target good old USA as my ideal target, then all the coalition of the willing as a fallback, then anyone else who has a downer on Muslim doctrine.........Does Malaysia fit into any of those category's.......Ok it was code share......does China fit into any of those category's (arguably yes to the downer on the Chinese Muslims) .......but in that event realistically Id go for a Chinese plane not a Malaysian one where 61% of the country are followers of Islam.......)

So if Jihad was a driver I cant personally see it as a logical join the dots in this case.......

But crazier things have happened so I'll sit back and see what comes from this. Hopefully it wont take too long to get some answers.....no wreckage and no luggage and no bodies is surprising at this point in time though considering how many are looking

Andy

I think this topic is starting to drift off course...Terrorism might be possible, but there has to be other logical explanations. The FBI stated that they are only involving themselves as there were American citizens on the aircraft, and the NTSB are interested as it's an American-assembled aircraft .

I'm sure the saying "Aviate, navigate, communicate" applies to commercial flying as well - if the crew found themselves in a time-critical situation with a high workload, perhaps they were too focused on controlling the aircraft to perform a proper Mayday call. That said, few scenarios would be that time-critical at 35 000 ft, so it is all certainly a mystery.

That's my 2c at least, I know my priority would be to take control of the aircraft.

Catastophic air frame failure would give you plenty of time for a Mayday from thirty five thousand feet after it was obvious that flying was no longer an option, unless the cockpit exploded.