Wellcamp

Yenn

4 by 24 tonne loads of eggs per week ex Millmeran to Brisbane airport.

Current transport time 6-9 hrs depending on the range crossing.

Time round trip to Wellcamp being generous 1.5 hrs.

A saving of around $4000.00 on road freight alone. And it allows 1 truck to do in 1 day what now takes 4 days.

That one is just off the top of my head and didn't even take any research. I could give you a dozen more but I don't think you are really interested in hearing it.

Cheers Geoff13

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Splitting up a trailer combination at Mitchell. Warrego Highway.

This tedious work was going on in about 40 degrees temperature at the interchange beside the highway.

How much more efficient would it be if the second truck didn't have to come out from Toowoomba.

• Informative 1

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/the-main-route-from-toowoomba-to-the-wellcamp-airp/2380910/?ref=hs

THE main route from Toowoomba to the Wellcamp Airport - labelled a "substandard goat track" by the airport's developer - is unlikely to be upgraded in time for the first flights.

The Toowoomba-Cecil Plains Rd is likely to experience a surge in traffic once the airport is operational in October.

However, no upgrade is planned by the Wagner family, which is building the Wellcamp Airport, or by the Department of Transport and Main Roads.

Wagners chairman John Wagner admitted the road was not up to scratch.

"The reality is it doesn't meet current standards - it's a bit of a goat track," he said.

"It won't stop (airport users) travelling on it, but it certainly needs some work over time."

Despite concerns over the quality of the road, Mr Wagner said the company did not intend to contribute financially to an upgrade.

So who picks up the bill for the road upgrade?

I drove along the Toowoomba - Cecil Plains (goat track)Rd on Monday from Toowoomba to Cecil Plains and it wasn't that bad.. lots of road works happening.. besides the government is building that bypass and I checked the proposed route and funny enough, Wagners put their development right next to it and (Wagners) are planning to pay for and build an interchange off the bypass into the estate/airport..

FT you obviously have an ulterior motive here and from most of your posts you also have an axe to grind with Wagners. Maybe you should take that particular argument up with them.

Infrastructure, especially when paid for by industry can only ever be a good thing. Let me tell you something for free. The Clifton Rd was a goat track long before Wellcamp was ever dreamed up. If the privately funded major infrastructure project forces the Goverment to spend a few bucks repairing a road that needed it anyway than that also will be a good thing. Both create jobs and spending.

Cheers Geoff

• Agree 2

I've got no real issue with the Wagner's or the airport apart from the lack of integration into the existing environment, it just looks like its poorly conceived. The bypass wont get there till 2018 at the earliest, that road will get flogged. You wouldn't think the cost of 10kms of road into town isn't that big an investment for Wagners.

Does it have to be an existing environment FT? A lot of our problems in infrastructure are simply because decision makers didn't have foresight in the planning and implement stage.. I remember the bleaters when the Brisbane Gateway was first planned and now try to get around Brisbane without it.

That's the heart of the problem with the airport, its servicing a market that doesn't exist. Skytrans can't fill the flights it does now, every time my mum has flown out in Skytrans its always 75% full. I can't see that changing in the short term. As far as air freight business the bypass is going to make it much quicker and much cheaper to ship through Brisbane. When Brisbane gets its 2nd runway and associated infrastructure online Wellcamp is likely to face serious competition.

It is privately funded. We the tax payers break even if no planes go through. We gain if the infrastructure provides us with any benifits. I gave the eggsample of one Qld producer who can't wait for it to open. And before anyone suggests that I may have a vested interest in this, the $4000.00 a week he saves is likely to come out of my pocket. I dont care, I will find freight elsewhere.

If the Wagners can afford to lose money until it becomes viable, then good on them. I hope he can. If he cant, then we really have lost nothing.

Cheers Geoff

• Like 1

Back onto the original question.....Yes there are a lot of private strips within a very short distance of Wellcamp. I'm told for the time being it will remain uncontrolled, but should CASA feel that it's warranted, it will become C class in the future. If that happens, yes it will suck for a lot of people. Yes, I think Toowoomba could use a better airport, and yes again, to will it affect myself and many others negatively. The Wellcamp strip is just under 10 nm from my usual point of take off, and if I track directly to Clifton or Warwick, I pretty much just fly right over it.