Another Jabiru engine bites the dust

Driven into Camden airport yesterday near the north-eastern end of the field and I say "hmmm.....a Jabiru parked in the middle of a grass paddock within the airport boundary on top of a hill with a couple of people standing around it - that's weird!"

During a go-around it cracked a cylinder stud, followed quickly by loss of power then total engine failure. The young female instructor looks like she did a brilliant job of putting it down, though I suspect the student is rather shell-shocked.

Had some interesting discussion with the LAMEs. Seems the Jabiru engine is not exactly their favourite.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee guys, this thread has been going for a half hour now. Surely there are more "Jab bashers" out there who need to get it off their chest..........

I won't even get upset about it and give an "unhelpful"!!!

Hehe...

• Haha 2

Why instigate another round of dipstick comments.

And Major, you need to be careful; you are currently responsible for any compliance or enforcement action which may or may not need to be taken if a trend develops or an obvious fault occurs.

• Agree 1

Your too serious in this instance I recon Turbo. The Jab comments will probably come regardless and that is fine, we may as well joke about it now. Hopefully no one will get upset with the comments but that is life.

I like my Jab but others don't. So be it. Just like Holden will win at Townsville over the weekend but I'll watch out for the Holden bashers if they don't. May have to lay low actually the way Winterbottom is driving!!!

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

I understand that and I've previously said some people are behaving like football barrackers.

Problem is there is a trail of statistics, and when a forced landing fails and a fatality occurs, which you would expect from a trail of statisics, the whole house of cards is likely to come tumbling down.

Guest Andys@coffs

The benefits of discussion on the longevity of jabiru engines is a mixed bag. If you own one then discussions such as this create a depreciation schedule well ahead of where you might like it to be, if your considering one you know that there is a real risk that down track you, like me, may well have to front up with an extra $10k to have it put back to working condition and as such you can factor that into the cost of ownership model that we all in some degree of complexity consider when we are thinking of buying an aircraft.

But above all, IMHO it creates pressure on the manufacturer to improve or, if bad enough, to cease production. The former is good, the latter is very bad if you already own one..... I see that the pressures seem to have allowed Camit to branch out into improvement territory and J to branch out to China...... Time will tell if those things are good or not.

That J continue to exist, even if you are a rotaxian through and through, is a good thing, competition is a remarkable leveller of the playing field and Rotaxians presumably benefit from their existence.........which is good because they aren't exactly cheap as they are! (but then neither is a J if the payment plan is $X down and $Y every Z years for unexpected maintenance costs)

Andy

Andy there are a few new motors coming onto the market that are surpassing Jabiru, the UL Power engines look especially good. The problem is with the hundreds of grenades flying around in RAA schools, every engine failure incurs an added expense for the school.

I emailed camit to find out what costs are involved in bringing my second life engine up to camit spec :

rely was , if I didn't have any specific issues , to leave it alone :

my engine has LCH , SDS INJECTION

40 amp alt , not the camit one ,

this ones ,Aero Power ,that bolts to the vac attachment .

mike.

It isn't likely to add much to the subject. Lame's don't like anything about RAAus planes in general. There are some exceptions of course. Even SAAA use Jabiru engine planes. When an engine fails you need a fair bit of data or you just make comments, often from prejudice, .They are not perfect by any stretch but good monitoring of their condition and making sure they are not overtemping will make thing a bit more predictable.

Note this post was stuck and is a bit out of sequence...Nev

• Agree 1

If the RAA could at least convince Jabiru to fix the engines in aircraft used for training, that would be a huge step forward.[

/QUOTE]

I'm curious to hear the logic behind your post FT. JUST fix the engines used in training? ?

Hearty congratulations to the instructor for achieving a good safe outcome.

Expect the real-life experience of the CAMit modded-engines to start to come into focus very soon and an important step forward in the ability to put CAMit engines into 'C'-reg / 55-reg. Jabs. in a couple of months (CASA willing to process the paperwork..)

Expect the real-life experience of the CAMit modded-engines to start to come into focus very soon and an important step forward in the ability to put CAMit engines into 'C'-reg / 55-reg. Jabs. in a couple of months (CASA willing to process the paperwork..)

I spent some time with Ian Bent from CAMit yesterday and can confirm that that is indeed his expectation .

Bob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Caution 1

Gee guys, this thread has been going for a half hour now. Surely there are more "Jab bashers" out there who need to get it off their chest..........I won't even get upset about it and give an "unhelpful"!!!

Hehe...

FWIW (not much), I'm not actually a Jabiru hater. However based solely on opinion from qualified and respected maintenance engineers I know, I'd have to think twice about purchasing one with the stock engine. Not that it really matters anyway, as a Jab and anything similar doesn't have anywhere near enough grunt for my liking! ;)

• Like 1

Guest Andys@coffs
FWIW (not much), I'm not actually a Jabiru hater. However based solely on opinion from qualified and respected maintenance engineers I know, I'd have to think twice about purchasing one with the stock engine. Not that it really matters anyway, as a Jab and anything similar doesn't have anywhere near enough grunt for my liking! ;)

Me either....but I couldn't find an RAA approved aircraft with a 5 stage Burner for those "thrill filled minutes" ......that said, I'm not sure my wallet could stand for stage 5 usage for long...need one of those Gold Gov issued Carnet card for that sort of buzz.....

Andy