Brumby Signs with Chinese Aviation Giant

Motif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to Brumby, it's fantastic to see an Aussie company moving out into the big world..great to see.. congratulations and all the best to you guys..002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

• Agree 4

Brumby have had great publicity for their aircraft, and have a good, solid product to sell. I know most of us have reservations about dealing with foreign companies - but the world has changed. Overseas investment has been happening in Australia since the 1800's, and it was needed as we couldn't finance ourselves. I can remember Esperance farmers grumbling about the 'rich yanks' who were going to takeover our best farming land. Well, that didn't happen. In the 70's and 80's - golfers were aghast at the thought of the Japanese buying up all our east coast golf courses and overcharging Aussies for a round or two. That faded away too. Now it's the Chinese buying residential housing, farms, and coal and iron ore mines. But they can't ship these assets to China - so Australia isn't losing its' assets - maybe just temporary control over their use. If the Chinese were to invest in local manufacturing - that would be good for Australia. We have a far better opportunity for QC if things are built here under a 'Made-in-Australia' logo.

Speaking of aviation and local manufacturing, I looked back in my logs to see where my investment in Aussie aircraft began. I began flying at Archerfield in April 1963. I received my endorsement on Victa Airtourer 115 (VH-UQX) on 25/9/1965 with the one and only Frank Woodfall at Archerfield. On 8/10/1965, I ferried UQX from Archerfield to Bankstown via Coffs Harbour. At Bankstown I took delivery of a brand new Victa 100, (VH-WHO), and ferried it back to Archerfield on 9/10/65. At this time I was doing my CPL and was a member of a Brisbane flying group. We flew the wings off that little Victa - I took it to Mackay, Longreach, Moree..... it was a neat little unit but no great shakes on a hot day! I sold my share in 1966 after returning to PNG

My 2nd Aussie aircraft was a Jabiru 160C, (24-4889), which I picked up in Bundy on 15/1/2007. It worked here in Albany at our RAAus FTF through until 2013, when I sold it to a SA private owner. To say that I didn't have the greatest experience with the 160 is something of an understatement. I was more than happy with the aircraft structure, its' comfort, and it's handling. But we had our difficulties with the engine/s and that is the main reason we have moved on.

So, being ever the optimist, I placed a deposit on a Brumby 610 high wing in 2013. I had previously travelled to Cowra twice, and flown both the Rotax 912 powered 610, and the Lycoming powered version. I had previously flown a number of LSA's including Tecnam and Evektor, but, with the future prospects of Part 61 and RPL conversions out of RAAus in mind - chose Brumby because of it's more similar feel to the 172's which we run in our GA school. We also use a number of private natural surface strips, and the Brumby undercarriage is a real winner on these.

My experience with the Aussie manufacturers of my first two aircraft has been neither rewarding or instructive. It was always a case of 'ignorant pilot and whingeing owner'. Now in my case, with 50 years in the game, owning 12 different aircraft, and instructing in a whole suite of types -that's nothing short of insulting. In the travel industry, the unhappy customer will tell their story to 9 other people. In the aviation industry - they'll do the same, and that's damaging stuff. At this stage of my relationship with Brumby, I have found they are receptive to some ideas on improvements - which augers well for the future.

happy days,

Ralph

• Like 3

You might be interested to know that "Another project to be brought to the fore by this agreement is the final development of Brumby’s AirCruiser, a FAR23 certified, four place, general aviation aircraft" and that that aircraft is the Victa 4 seater, of which only the prototype was built.

OME

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

"Oh Bugga, Ive landed on Chinese carrier no 15, not No 16...." Now that's planning for the future......Most nations will be quite Ok writing their numbers in Binary cause after all No 2 is generally wishful thinking...assuming No 1 ever got past the treasurer....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_carriers_by_country

And here's me thinking it was runway 16 and everytime they wanted to takeoff, they had to turn the ship to the correct compass heading 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Haha 4

Victa, yuck.gif.4c85ff36d4d9a0bd466be4926a1ba11e.gifyuck.gif.1f52a4e846f568e9366a46d5eceeebf5.gifyuck.gif.4c85ff36d4d9a0bd466be4926a1ba11e.gif what a godawful looking aircraft, at least you can see where the design for the lawn mower came from..........................

The underneath shot shows how stumpy the wings were, especially the very large chord at the wing root. Any ideas of the aerodynamic function of the triangular bit, or it just fuel tanks like the Jodel D-150?

Good luck with the venture guys.

When two different cultures work together, the result is a new culture, and with innovative Australians in the mix, unfettered by low volume production, the result can be very powerful.

I've worked in the Transport Industry with American ownership, Japanese ownership and Italian ownership, and all produced different results from the Australian and Home Countries.

Brumby have set a good culture of reliability and toughness for conditions to date, so the future looks very exciting.

• Agree 2

I say ... The best of opportunities to them at Brumby. It's about time there was serious competition to Jabiru, maybe this will put some serious accountability to their pathetic responses to their engine issues.

What Potts (Ralph) said, says it all, and if Brumby can stay customer focused (externally focused) they should be able to put some serious completion out there.

All the best, even better that it is in a small Australian country town.

The underneath shot shows how stumpy the wings were, especially the very large chord at the wing root. Any ideas of the aerodynamic function of the triangular bit, or it just fuel tanks like the Jodel D-150?

i got to see the underneath of it a lot ...

During the development of the J20 in Chengdu, I was working just a couple of kms away from the airfield they were testing from. The area has a natural weather phenomenon that sees cloud covering the valley most days, an ideal place to test a new jet fighter and on top of that they came out only on very cloudy days. Sometimes I would stand outside while they flew a couple of hundred feet over me and the pilot would often look at me. At the time I didn't know it was a 'Top Secret'! I don't know how I was even allowed to work so close to it or get a visit from MIB at some point!

• Informative 1

Further to the above, check this link: http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austmz/VH-MVR.htmlOME

Yes, an interesting aircraft that I did see once. The Continental IO-360 210HP engine was heavy, but wasn't a bad choice at the time. (the Cessna 336/337 series, and the first M5 Maules all used this engine).These days you'd probably be looking at an IO-360 Lycoming with 180HP as the power source . If it was ever going to be a kit aircraft, then any of the uncertified 180HP engines could be used. Whether you'd use a CSU is debatable. If the new 'Aircruiser' is intended to compete with the C172S or a Piper Archer II or III, then maybe fixed pitch. If looking to compete in the Mooney,C182,or RV10 range - then a CSU is affordable and probably necessary to lift the higher gross weights that might be required. All speculation of course. I think that there'd be some careful market research going on here because the buyers for 140-150 KTAS 4 seaters is definitely smaller than for the C172/Archer end of the market. (speculation again!).

happy days,

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

There's an Aircruser near me that looks like it hasn't flown in 20 years.

Peaking in the hangar, there are still the old glass oil bottles with the long filler necks on the shelf. (When did they stop using those? 1980's?)

Wondering if I should make some enquires? I see there is a national association with plenty of info.

There's an Aircruser near me that looks like it hasn't flown in 20 years.Peaking in the hangar, there are still the old glass oil bottles with the long filler necks on the shelf. (When did they stop using those? 1980's?)

Wondering if I should make some enquires? I see there is a national association with plenty of info.

There only was ever the prototype VH-MVR. Is that it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 years later...
"Oh Bugga, Ive landed on Chinese carrier no 15, not No 16...." Now that's planning for the future......Most nations will be quite Ok writing their numbers in Binary cause after all No 2 is generally wishful thinking...assuming No 1 ever got past the treasurer....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_carriers_by_country

Interesting list Andy, but the numbers may be dodgy; I'd only read about one (never completed) German carrier from WWII. I believe both new Australian Helicopter carriers are now in service and where are the rest of America's WWII carriers? I've read that at war's end they had over 100 in service.

Victa, yuck.gif.4c85ff36d4d9a0bd466be4926a1ba11e.gifyuck.gif.1f52a4e846f568e9366a46d5eceeebf5.gifyuck.gif.4c85ff36d4d9a0bd466be4926a1ba11e.gif what a godawful looking aircraft, at least you can see where the design for the lawn mower came from..........................

This model didn't look too bad with the bubble canopy. Very reliable engine, aerobatic too; nothing like going out in the early morning for 30 minutes of throwing it around the sky.

T0014.jpg.8e3fa4e0ae0806f82323e8d68f90c96c.jpg

• Agree 5

Verbal from Henry Millicer and ... just think of TP's name at the moment.I think you'll find the ARL wind tunnel report online - if not I can post an extract later.

Thanks for that, DJ. Couldn't find it. I'd appreciate any link or extract you could send.

http://airtourer.asn.au/airtourer/images/Newsletter/Newsletter_81.pdf with a bit of Airtourer/Aircruiser history reminded me of the TP: Vic Walton.

(Incidentally, that article was wrong about Wamira - Henry had nought to do with it.)

The report I indicated was ARL Aerodynamics Note 235 Low Speed Wind Tunnel Tests of the Victa Aircruiser 180 in 1965. My memory failed me in some details, sorry. This wind tunnel model and the prototype had the wing root cuff. Vic said it was an extremely violent wing drop. The wing fence cured that.

Extracts from wind tunnel report.

IMG_1871.JPG.5870d742eafd9c78390237971e6153c2.JPG

IMG_1869.JPG.17748db94189325502d8b137f975f237.JPG