SAMSUNG tablet with Oz runway ?....

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

Can anyone give me an update on the above. Friend looking at getting set up with Ozrunways. I use an Ipad mini myself so can't offer him too much on the Samsung Tablet. thanks ......Maj....

I've just bought an iPad mini at Duty Free on my way back into Australia, I was afraid it would be too small but now I think it's the perfect size, esp in these cramped cockpits.. I'll probably wait a few versions before I look at the android Ozrunways as it won't have all the features of IOS, yet.

• Agree 1

Guest Andys@coffs

I had both full size ipad and a mini 2.......I sold the full size ipad because there is nothing the mini 2 cant do. To be blunt even an iphone with ozrunways is quite usable IMHO in flight. CASA would suggest otherwise yet I note that most of the TSO'd GPS's have smaller screens than the iphone does! Sure you cant have 20 different stats on screen at once but changing which ones are displayed at any time isn't exactly rocket science.

I have a Samsung 7" Lite android tablet, it too would be about perfect size for ozrunways, as well as being able to run the prop balancer app....

Andy

I bought a cheap 7" Android Tablet for $14o for the purposes of backup & to see if it was any good. It has a dual core 1.5 Ghz CPU, 1 Gb of DDR3 RAM, 8Gb storage, 16 Gb SD card, WiFi, Bluetooth, Ethernet & an independent GPS, multipoint IPS screen with 1064x768 resolution & it came with a keyboard/case, car & mains chargers, ethernet, OTG, USB & HDMI cables. It runs Android 4.2 Jellybean.

I have installed Quickoffice so I can create word, excel & ppt & pdf documents, google drive & photos for backups & a heap of other apps including navigation all free. To date it has been faultless & I am going to give either Ozrunways or EasyVFR a go when I get my aircraft in the air. 7" is about as big as you can go if you want the screen in front of you & able to fit on the panel. My panel has a central position & the tablet fits perfectly there in portrait orientation.

The Aldi one looks good & if the quality is like most other Aldi stuff it a should be OK.

Make sure that whatever you get has an independent GPS & not A-GPS which relies to a large extent on triangualtion of cell towers to provide accurate position data.

• Informative 2

I bought a cheap 7" Android Tablet for $14o for the purposes of backup & to see if it was any good. It has a dual core 1.5 Ghz CPU, 1 Gb of DDR3 RAM, 8Gb storage, 16 Gb SD card, WiFi, Bluetooth, Ethernet & an independent GPS, multipoint IPS screen with 1064x768 resolution & it came with a keyboard/case, car & mains chargers, ethernet, OTG, USB & HDMI cables. It runs Android 4.2 Jellybean.I have installed Quickoffice so I can create word, excel & ppt & pdf documents, google drive & photos for backups & a heap of other apps including navigation all free. To date it has been faultless & I am going to give either Ozrunways or EasyVFR a go when I get my aircraft in the air. 7" is about as big as you can go if you want the screen in front of you & able to fit on the panel. My panel has a central position & the tablet fits perfectly there in portrait orientation.

The Aldi one looks good & if the quality is like most other Aldi stuff it a should be OK.

Make sure that whatever you get has an independent GPS & not A-GPS which relies to a large extent on triangualtion of cell towers to provide accurate position data.

I bought a cheap 9" Phablet (Phone-Tablet) has everything you listed plus 2gb ram.. Extra ram makes a big difference can have heaps of apps running smoothly.... At the moment I run EasyVFR which needs min 700meg ram so 1gb ram is not enough to run it.....

Keith

• Informative 2

What? Don't tell me the ozrunways people have finally woken up and decided to support android? The last response i heard was that the android sales were "dismal" and so they wouldn't bother selling to that market..

We have an iPad mini mounted on the panel in a RAM Mount in the Tecnam Sierra. Mounted on the panel is the way to go. I've tried knee Board mount and not good. I also have the full size iPad and used that until we got the mini. Mini wins hands down. I take both on any Nav and so don't need paper maps.

OzRunways is more functional with a 3G connection and 32GB RAM. You could probably get away with 16GB if it was to do nothing other than OzRunways.

I also bought a Dual XGPS 160 that can provide GPS data from both US and Russian systems to up to 5 devices. While it is super accurate and reliable it is probably overkill unless you need to weave between CTA zones. A bit belts and braces but I like that feeling in the air. Will give a quick connection to GPS when Mobile Phone towers not around.

To be fair to the OzRunways mob, in their early days iPad was more than 70% of the market and they had (have) limited resources. That they are now flat out brining an Android version to the market is a tribute to what Samsung have achieved. I never was an Apple fan and only bought the iPad because that's what you had to have for OzRunways. But, I'm slowly being sucked into the Apple world with iPhone in pocket as well (also backup for OzRunways on the iPad).

I've had several situations when the iPad was not set up properly and checked before commencing a flight. One was when I leant my iPad to somebody to check the weather and they inadvertently deleted my flight plan and I didn't discover it until I was departing the circuit. Then another time when, for some unfathomable reason I could not get any GPS signal (may have been in "Airplane Mode" but never worked out how or why). Then the other day, I was doing a local area (100 nm radius) and when I switched on the iPad it came up all dark and you couldn't read the map - that one turned out to be that that iPad hadn't been updated and maps were out of date and therefore not visible.

The disappeared flight plan was fixed in the air by a series of "direct to" flights. The no GPS detected was solved by the co-pilot (me at the time) pulling out another iPad and drafting a new plan in less than 10 minutes. Considering that at the time, I had never used an iPad before and had never seen OzRunways before, it is a fair tribute to the iPad and OzRunways that I was able to do all that. The out of date maps was solved by resorting to the backup iPad which was up to date.

Moral of the stories is of course . . . include your iPad and nav software in your pre-flight especially if you're going somewhere you're not familiar with.

• Bluetooth on and connection GPS/iPad OK?

• iPad charged OK?

• Flight Plan OK?

• Airplane mode OFF?

• Mobile data ON?

• NAIPS weather/notams checked & saved?

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

Then another time when, for some unfathomable reason I could not get any GPS signal (may have been in "Airplane Mode" but never worked out how or why).

There has been much more than usual solar flare activity lately, they bomb Ag Gps so that could explain it. I have had days where I just folded up my sprayrig and come home because I just couldn't hold a signal, the next day had no problems.

• Informative 2

OzRunways is more functional with a 3G connection and 32GB RAM. You could probably get away with 16GB if it was to do nothing other than OzRunways.

The iPad mini has 512mb of RAM but comes with 16, 32, 64 or 128 GB of flash memory storage. Apples IOS runs more efficiently than Android & the retina display doesn't use as much RAM. Ozrunways is being tested using a Google Nexus 7 which has 2GB of RAM & runs Android 4.4 Kit Kat. As with iPads the Nexus offerings do not have an external card slot & come with either 16 or 32GB of flash memory storage.

The Nexus has reputedly a better hi res screen than the iPad but it would be hard to tell for most users. Android 5 reported to be called Lemon Meringue Pie is supposedly being released by the end of the year and the Nexus range may be being replaced by something un-named to date but with code names like Flounder & Shamu. Moores Law sill rules.

• Like 2

be good if Ozrunways is available on android... I had it on ipad but work related requirements dictated that I had to look at Samsung or similar.. Also be aware that if you are going to use a EFB, CASA has a screen size requirement..

Ozrunways is only weeks away if that for Android.

be good if Ozrunways is available on android... I had it on ipad but work related requirements dictated that I had to look at Samsung or similar.. Also be aware that if you are going to use a EFB, CASA has a screen size requirement..

CASA has a screen size recommendation which is different from a requirement.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

quite right there KG, but when the recommendation is worded thus..

"7.2 Screen Size

7.2.1 The screen size and resolution will need to demonstrate the ability to display information in a manner comparable to the paper aeronautical charts and data it is intended to replace. The recommended minimum size of the screen is 200mm measured diagonally across the active viewing area. If the intent of the installation is to display charts and maps, the device should be suitably sized to display the image without excessive scrolling.

Note: Some manufacturer’s screen sizes may vary marginally from this minimum but still may be acceptable"

I will take the recommendation as a requirement just to be sure..

• Informative 1

I will take the recommendation as a requirement just to be sure..

I will also take the recommendation as a requirement, when I am flying my Dash 8, in the meantime I will be taking it as a recommendation, as it is written, and use something more practical with at least 125mm screen.

• Agree 1

Hi

We've done most testing with the Samsung 8" Tab 4, and Nexus 7". Most users so far appear to have the Nexus 7" or the samsung 10" . Basically anything with Android 4.1 should be OK. The more main-stream the better.

To be an approved EFB the device needs a screen size >200mm screen size (about 7.5 inches across).

Thanks

Bevan..

iphone 6 plus at the price of an iphone plus the price of the ipad mini is making me patient to wait and see how android version quickly evolves. It must quickly become similar in functionality to the apple version, it is not like they don't know what they are trying to achieve.