I received my CASA RPL today !!!!

My RPL arrived in the mail today !!!!

I did all of my RAA endorsements (CTA, Nav etc etc) and have transferred them across to a CASA RPL.

I also have done my CSU and Retract Endorsement, which virtually gives me a PPL to fly any SE 4 seat aircraft up to 1500kg.

As I said in my thread a few months ago,...It wont suit everyone, but its great for me.

I will now use my GA licence but encourage anyone to start out in RA Aus and see where your flying interest will take you.

Happy Days !!

• Like 4

Nice one!

Just curious, how long was the processing? CASA received my paperwork for my PPL on 15 Sep but it has yet to move past the "application received" stage. Because I took my flight test on 1/9, I had to fill in all the new forms for Part 61, so something that would have taken a couple weeks the day before now does not seem to have any avenue towards completion and they are hopelessly backlogged.

100% agree, starting out in RAAus was the best way for me, now I have flexibility and the best of both worlds, and at a fraction of the cost had I gone GA from the start!

Nice one!Just curious, how long was the processing? CASA received my paperwork for my PPL on 15 Sep but it has yet to move past the "application received" stage. Because I took my flight test on 1/9, I had to fill in all the new forms for Part 61, so something that would have taken a couple weeks the day before now does not seem to have any avenue towards completion and they are hopelessly backlogged.

100% agree, starting out in RAAus was the best way for me, now I have flexibility and the best of both worlds, and at a fraction of the cost had I gone GA from the start!

Hi.

Did you mean your RPL?.

Anyway, yes I submitted mine on 4/9/14, and was told 1 week which then blew out to 2 and then 4 wks until I rcvd it. I know they had a lot more than expected.

Wish i was so lucky, i stupidly mentioned an old medical issue honestly due to a workplace incident and now have the 1000 hurdles to step through...dumb dumb dumb...

I did the same when redoing my Class 2 Medical. I was too honest, but I just had to get a letter confirming my illness was not an ongoing matter.

• Like 1

How did you do an raa cta endo?How many hours instruction did they want?

There is no RAA CTA Endo. I did mine in a VH aircraft at a GA school under my existing Student Licence. I did my flight training under GA and converted to RA Aus after a long break from flying.

I don't think that RA will have the Endorsement for a long time. I think the general view is that if you want to fly in CTA you should go GA.

I don't agree really, as many OCTA areas take our little machines over some not so favourable terrain.

That's another story though.

I also don't believe that I can fly my 19 aircraft into CTA even with my RPL licence/Endorsement. Im not phased by that.

I also don't believe that I can fly my 19 aircraft into CTA even with my RPL licence/Endorsement. Im not phased by that.

Yes you will but only if your RPL has a CTA endorsement and your aircraft has a transponder. One of the guys here in Cairns has a PPL ( which carriers rights to enter CTA) but he does it in his 19 RAA Jabiru. The bizarre thing is getting your head around which licence he is using at any one point in time.

He has an RAA certificate and PPL licence and an RAA plane which has a transponder in it.

He can not fly the RAA plane "using" his PPL. He is "using his RAA certificate for that.

He cannot enter CTA on his RAA pilot certificate. "Uses" the PPL for that. So at the boundary he oscillates very rapidly between RAA pilot and PPL pilot. ( maybe at the speed of sound or light or whatever CASA uses as its datum. :-). )

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I also don't believe that I can fly my 19 aircraft into CTA even with my RPL licence/Endorsement. Im not phased by that.Yes you will but only if your RPL has a CTA endorsement and your aircraft has a transponder. One of the guys here in Cairns has a PPL ( which carriers rights to enter CTA) but he does it in his 19 RAA Jabiru. The bizarre thing is getting your head around which licence he is using at any one point in time.

He has an RAA certificate and PPL licence and an RAA plane which has a transponder in it.

He can not fly the RAA plane "using" his PPL. He is "using his RAA certificate for that.

He cannot enter CTA on his RAA pilot certificate. "Uses" the PPL for that. So at the boundary he oscillates very rapidly between RAA pilot and PPL pilot. ( maybe at the speed of sound or light or whatever CASA uses as its datum. :-). )

Hahaha. Yes exactly.

You would technically be swapping licence privileges, as you indicate.

If you are transponder equipped (and have the Endorsement) you could get clearance go through CTA, as you are actually endorsed to do so.

My RPL has the CTA Endorsement, but my ultralight wouldn't qualify. I just go around, but in the 172 I go straight through !!!

Its a very grey area when you are the holder of 2 qualifications.

2 Aircraft and 2 different licenses really. CASA wont give RA Aus the option for Controlled Airspace in my opinion.

Some expert will no doubt reply to this, and hopefully answer you a little better than I can.

CAO 95.55 sets out the requirements for RAA aircraft to use CTA [not just a transponder]. Pilot must have A valid pilots lic not being a student lic. [This would now include RPL, I assume!] [19 registered ? Not the way I read it, but don't take my word, read it yourself - can you have a 19 registered certified aircraft?

A quick look of CAO 95.55 will give you the requirements the aircraft must meet to be used in CTA.

7.3 An aeroplane, to which this Order applies, may be flown in Class A, B, C or D airspace only if all of the following conditions are complied with:

(a) the aeroplane is:

(i) certificated to the design standards specified in section 101.55; or

(ii) meets the criteria specified in paragraph 21.024 (1) (a) or 21.026 (1) (a) or regulation 21.186 of CASR 1998; or

(iii) approved under regulation 262AP of CAR 1988 in relation to flights over closely-settled areas;

(b) the aeroplane is fitted with an engine of a kind to which paragraph 6.1 of Civil Aviation Order 101.55 applies, or that CASA has approved as being suitable for use in an aircraft, to which this Order applies, and is not subject to any conditions that would prevent the flight;

© the aeroplane is fitted with a radio capable of two-way communication with air traffic control;

(f) if the controlled airspace in which the aeroplane is operating requires a transponder to be fitted — the aeroplane is fitted with a transponder suitable for use in the airspace.

• Like 1

RAA ops were very clear that 19 registered are a NO go into CTA even with a PPL and clearance from the tower. To get a 19 registered plane into CTA "legally" you need to seek permission for an exemption from CASA explaining your reason.

• Agree 1

So my 19-registered RV-9 can't fly through Class C, but change the rego and I can take it through Class C, D, E and A? And all I've done is change a sticker on the side...

Tell me this isn't an Australian thing?

I really sympathise with you guys and the hoops you have to jump through - here in NZ we only need an Advanced National Microlight license to fly into Christchurch International - part of the license requirement involves a flight into Ch-ch with an instructor, in any aircraft you wish, provided it has a transponder. Normally we use the club Rans S6. As far as I know that applies anywhere in NZ - although I must admit microlights are still frowned upon in some places - Ardmore being one.

• Like 2

CAO 95.55 sets out the requirements for RAA aircraft to use CTA [not just a transponder]. Pilot must have A valid pilots lic not being a student lic. [This would now include RPL, I assume!] [19 registered ? Not the way I read it, but don't take my word, read it yourself - can you have a 19 registered certified aircraft?

Rather than worry about the technicality, I just think RA should just stay outside airspace. We new that when we took the RA path. Or.........get a CASA licence

• Agree 3