Indonesian air force intercepts Australian plane

http://www.smh.com.au/national/indonesian-air-force-intercepts-australian-plane-20141022-11a32p.html

The Australian plane on the tarmac at t Manado's Sam Ratulangi airport.

An Australian light aircraft flying from Darwin has been forced to land by two Indonesian fighter jets because it was in Indonesian airspace without permission.

The twin propellor plane was pictured on the tarmac at Manado's Sam Ratulangi airport as two Australian men were taken into custody for questioning.

An air force spokesman said the captain's name was Graeme Paul Jackline, the co pilot was Richard Wayne McLean and the registration was VH-RLS. The men said they were bound for Cebu in the Philippines.

The aircraft is a Beech twin-engine built in 1966 and has been registered to Richard Maclean of Burnside, South Australia, since 2006.

Spokesman Hadi Tjahjanto said the plane was first spotted over the island of Timor but had no flight clearance or documents filed, so two Russian-made Sukhoi fighters were scrambled to intercept it.

"By that time they'd entered the air space of Manado-North Sulawesi, so that's why we stopped and took them to the airport in Manado," First Marshall Hadi said.

The plane was now under the control of the airport authority. Investigations are continuing.

• Informative 1

""The aircraft is a Beech twin-engine built in 1966 and has been registered to Richard Maclean of Burnside, South Australia, since 2006.""

That's what it says

Relax! I thought our esteemed freind from Toowoomba wouldn't have typed "The twin propellor plane was pictured on the tarmac at Manado's Sam Ratulangi airport "

http://www.smh.com.au/national/indonesian-air-force-intercepts-australian-plane-20141022-11a32p.html

The Australian plane on the tarmac at t Manado's Sam Ratulangi airport.

An Australian light aircraft flying from Darwin has been forced to land by two Indonesian fighter jets because it was in Indonesian airspace without permission.

The twin propellor plane was pictured on the tarmac at Manado's Sam Ratulangi airport as two Australian men were taken into custody for questioning.

An air force spokesman said the captain's name was Graeme Paul Jackline, the co pilot was Richard Wayne McLean and the registration was VH-RLS. The men said they were bound for Cebu in the Philippines.

The aircraft is a Beech twin-engine built in 1966 and has been registered to Richard Maclean of Burnside, South Australia, since 2006.

Spokesman Hadi Tjahjanto said the plane was first spotted over the island of Timor but had no flight clearance or documents filed, so two Russian-made Sukhoi fighters were scrambled to intercept it.

"By that time they'd entered the air space of Manado-North Sulawesi, so that's why we stopped and took them to the airport in Manado," First Marshall Hadi said.

The plane was now under the control of the airport authority. Investigations are continuing.

The Indonesian Air Force pilots are probably grateful to these two Aussies because they got some action. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Agree 1

Relax! I thought our esteemed freind from Toowoomba wouldn't have typed "The twin propellor plane was pictured on the tarmac at Manado's Sam Ratulangi airport "

Calm down and take your old man pills, I just copy pasted the story

It would have been an interesting exercise. I believe the procedure involves the fighter lowering its landing gear and flap and radioing the 'target' aircraft to follow them.

The Baron has a 180 knot cruise and a stall of 73 knots, and the SU-27 a 1,350 knot top speed and a 130 knot stall. If the Baron wanted to make things difficult they could slow to below the fighters stall speed, forcing them to fly a pattern around them, though thats probably not a very good idea to annoy them like that! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

mal

• Haha 2

Many countries require overflight clearances (which is not the same thing as a flight plan and needs to be organised through embassy channels or the respective foreign affairs departments), or you risk military interception and an awful lot of pain and expense. Even airlines have to get them, but they do them in bulk usually covering a whole season for scheduled services on fixed air routes. Dunno what the heck these guys were thinking. No need for missiles or guns. The wake turbulence alone from a Sukhoi could make them do unplanned sky pirouettes.

Everything seems to be happening as could be predicted (if you know the rules) I don't think anyone is being picked on or the need for government intervention. Many times near Xmas Island IF I had to divert to Jakata, I knew I would be in Jail for a few weeks, at least. Nev

image.jpg.3839818caeef5cd75eb7899cf3bbdcf8.jpg Just another way to extort money from Innocent People , happened to me in Medan back in March

a week after the disseverance of MH370 , they needed to show the World their vigilance although

pretty ridiculous since they knew I was coming 6 hours in advance with an ETA exact to the Minute

and with a Clearance, nevertheless 3 Day's and $ 5000 later they where happy to see me leave, but not before

the Base Commander tried to extort another $ 600 from me which really made me blew of some steam until he finally retreated.

Just a bunch of Idiots flexing their muscles but let an Airliner fly unchallenged true their Airspace and disappear without a trace......but yet Intercepting a slow moving target with Transponder and FlightPlan of course is showing they are on top of their game ... ha ha ha .

see. www.tarvelpod.com/members/hpeier12

of course in the newspaper one get only to see their side of the story . I

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

That picture tells a story, I wonder if they were trained by the Iraqi army

? The pilot must have been some sort of bandit to warrant all those guns.....If he was a suicide bomber they'd all be toast....

actually I tend to believe they had no bullets in their rifle, since the whole episode was more like a show, because between Intercept and Landing it was less than 10 minutes and when i pulled up on the Tamp there where over 100 reporters present with their long Lenses..... of course all the Pictures I made which contradicted their story had been deleted from my Camara before I was able to leave.....

• Informative 1