Some aircraft just look right

I dropped my Auster in to have its annual done - and sitting in the hanger was VH-KXR a polished Cessna 195 which I have seen there a few times since she was imported.

There is something just right about the looks of the 195 and I instantly fall in love every time I see one

What other aircraft have this effect on people ?

• Agree 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HH.Not so sure that is pretty but it isn't ugly. Is it a Howard Hughes creation? The original Spitfire looks good in.the air but waddles like a duck, taxying on grass.

The Consolidated Catalina looks graceful in.the air. Mustang looks purposeful. Sopwith Snipe, last of a line. Fairey Swordfish.. Sleek Biplane.

Gee Bee weird and scary. Bucker Jungmeister capable elementary trainer. Comper Swift Fast and small. Westland Lysander BIG STOL.. Just a few I think stand out. From memory Plse forgive errors. Nev

Some that I have always liked from the warbird area - DH Mosquito and the Bristol Beaufighter (and of course the Auster but I may be a bit biased !)

Your own bouncing baby .eh Kaz. Couldn't believe it when an instructor told me they could bounce on take-off and write the plane off. Well they can on certain strips if you aren't careful. I've had to hold them off about one foot up to gain speed after lifting them off to stop the bounce. Bungee cords. No damping. Nev

Spitfire is absolutely my first love. The Staggerwing is very special. The Reliant is awesome. A DC3 has me reminiscing. And my BYM has a mind all of her own.Kaz

Kaz

I was totally flummoxed trying to work out what woman's 'bym' was and then trying to remember where it was located. I'm pleased you included the photo of the Auster. 042_hide.gif.f5e8fb1d85d95ffa63d9b5a325bf422e.gif

• Haha 2

Your own bouncing baby .eh Kaz. Couldn't believe it when an instructor told me they could bounce on take-off and write the plane off. Well they can on certain strips if you aren't careful. I've had to hold them off about one foot up to gain speed after lifting them off to stop the bounce. Bungee cords. No damping. Nev

Yes Nev, they certainly can get up a rather impressive oscillation as they roll down the grass. As the old song goes "one, two, and BOOMPSY Daisy" unless you keep right on top of it.

I love using the grass beside the shiny new bitumen at Coldstream (my previous home port for many years) because it is a bit of a challenge keeping everything together as we cross the taxiways and a few "ocean rollers" in between.

I confess I love grass runways full stop! I flew up to TOC last weekend just so I could land on 18R . I often pop across to Benalla or down to Wahring for the same reason.

As Ian knows, with his beloved Mark V, they give a different experience when doing what they were built for.

Some of the Coldstream guys and gals are coming up to Shepp on Sunday and I hear they are bringing the big guns with them. Former CFI now retired, and current ATO, is coming in the Chippie to show us how to do it! I don't think I am forgiven for my Stirling effort in the comps at YCEM a couple of months back...

Kaz

• Like 1