Aircraft vs Aircrafts

red750

you can break the aircrafts windscreen, and you have a fleet of aircraft.

Same for the word Fish, you either have a school of fish, you can buy 3 fish, or he fishers for bites or answers, there is no plural for Fish, sheep and aircraft. but then again, language does evolve, so it might be that we soon do have plural words for those, i blame the americans..

you can break the aircrafts windscreen, and you have a fleet of aircraft.Same for the word Fish, you either have a school of fish, you can buy 3 fish, or he fishers for bites or answers, there is no plural for Fish, sheep and aircraft. but then again, language does evolve, so it might be that we soon do have plural words for those, i blame the americans..

To be pedantic, "you can break an aircraft's windscreen", as it is the windscreen belonging to that aircraft. I also blame the Americans and and the Americanization of the Australian media. Half the idiots on newspapers can't spell or understand basic grammar.

• Agree 2

If we are looking for really confusing English words, try these, which mean the same, despite expecting them to mean the opposite :-

bone, debone

ravel, unravel

flammable, inflammable

Gotta love it!

Neil

'Ough' A Fonetic Fansy

W T Goodge

The baker man was kneading dough

And whistling softly sweet and lough

Yet ever and anon he'd cough

As though his head was coming ough!

'My word!' said he, but this is rough!

This flour is simply awful stough!'

He punched and thumped it through and through

As all good bakers always dough!

'I'd sooner drive', said he, 'a plough,

Than be a baker anyhough!'

Thus spake the baker kneading dough;

But don't let on I told you sough!

English is confusing? Naah!

• Like 3

If we are looking for really confusing English words, try these, which mean the same, despite expecting them to mean the opposite :-bone, debone

ravel, unravel

flammable, inflammable

Gotta love it!

Neil

Flame - able - - - - Inflame - able . . . . . and they reckon Chinese is difficult to understand. . . . . .! . . .the vicar told the parson and the parson tolled the bell. . . . . .

The "s" is possessive in your windscreen example and he fishes relates to the act of fishing when you may be a fishERman. Complex eh!.( Or complex, aye!). Nev

Not only that, I learned recently from a programme on marine biology that there is no such animal as a FISH. They tell me that all of the creatures we know as FISH are almost invariably totally different species, and that the "F" word is scientifically vastly incorrect, so next time I go around to the Species and Chip shop, I guess I'll have to be more speciesIFIC . . . . ( I wonder what species DIM SIMS come under. . . . .) . . .maybe Fried, or Steamed would be sufFISHient ?

I know how to spell FISH .It is spelled GHOTI

GH as in rough

O as in women

TI as in position

Took some maneouvering but I finally worked it out. Jasus, I reckon you got too much time on yer hands!

• Agree 1

Aren't 'Klingons' those guys always hanging around for a free flight, but can't get their hands out of their pockets?

I guess the type must exist, though to be fair, I've not come across that where I regularly fly; if someone expresses an interest I'll always help wherever possible ( and practicable ) and at the time of writing, no one has asked "How much do I owe you mate? " . . .they have ALL stuffed at least a "Tenner" and often a "Bluey" ( £20 ) into my shirt pocket afterwards with the comments, "Thanks for that mate. . .this is for the petrol. . ." Must have something to do with my charming personality ( ? ) !