Savannah S dream machine

Guy s

Hello all, I thought I would share some photos of the Savannah S I'm building after recently picking up from Brisbane which nearly cost me a divorce but she has come around to the idea and is showing an interest in the building. Haven't told the her it doesn't come with a motor so Round 2 could be on the cards.

On first opening the crate and seeing all those bits and pieces I felt quite overwhelmed ans wonder what I got myself into.

A friend reckon mended Alodine all the parts to guard against corrosion and luckily I had a mate who was in the power coating and Alodining business and was allow to come in to dip all the parts which was a big job in itself.

The first Photo is Alan fry giving me a hand with the dipping process.036.JPG.9e5cbfaad2cb88b0cf9e23dc4be35d27.JPG

006.JPG.c3a3aa2d61d9fd285053f7b98b4cec97.JPG

017.JPG.9608d4fda8d4a2085a633769dd934f1e.JPG

026.JPG.e05cfdfdd683f018ef2ddc57d0ca4f4e.JPG

043.JPG.063003bcc0dc4e0456d42f4265a03627.JPG

046.JPG.4ee1476c1e60e9345f51ca11ec490cea.JPG

048.JPG.5b1c34ce1144943460434c0364c99adf.JPG

• Like 7
  • Caution 1

Alodine is a good idea but I wouldn't worry too much about corrosion as your aircraft is 6061 T6. Unless you live on the coast. Plenty of 6061 aircraft with no corrosion protection are 40 plus years old.

Just put a barrier (paint) between dissimilar metal parts.

• Agree 1

Nice job Guy. Seems like you have been powering along.......and yes it may hit the fan when you want the engine

Thanks Kyle and yes powering along but at the expense of ignoring everyone and work and soon will have to give the project a break and concentrate on those around me and work.

Yea Steve nothing like building in the comfort of the house 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

• 1 month later...

Up to now it has been fairly smooth sailing but some of the bits in fitting in the cabin floor has really started to do my head in as they have change some bits and guessing for the adjustable seats but haven't update the manual, also some bits don't match existing hole etc.

Maybe someone can shed some light for me. The 2 angle bit and am guessing for the flaps is suppose to have the up&down hole on the crossmember in between the 2 angular instead of to the side, it's like the holes have been put in the wrong place

P5020051.JPG.e708ad47cd069d1bc93c4a4a337273a8.JPG

P5020052.JPG.3a52dfbd73ba7fab3ba1fbba1864b552.JPG

Doing a good job guy, that golden glow of the alodine looks pretty special.

I noticed in the photos that you have the cabin side going over the floor(at least it looks that way), it should go under. The cabin sides should be on the outside all the way round, then the extruded angle goes over the bottom edge.

Keep the photos coming it looks great.

Cheers

Rick

• Helpful 1

Hello all, I thought I would share some photos of the Savannah S I'm building after recently picking up from Brisbane which nearly cost me a divorce but she has come around to the idea and is showing an interest in the building. Haven't told the her it doesn't come with a motor so Round 2 could be on the cards.On first opening the crate and seeing all those bits and pieces I felt quite overwhelmed ans wonder what I got myself into.

A friend reckon mended Alodine all the parts to guard against corrosion and luckily I had a mate who was in the power coating and Alodining business and was allow to come in to dip all the parts which was a big job in itself.

The first Photo is Alan fry giving me a hand with the dipping process.[ATTACH]34683[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]34684[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]34685[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]34687[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]34688[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]34689[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]34690[/ATTACH]

Great choice! I like that its such a solid looking aircraft. Best of luck

Thanks for the keen eye Rick and yea the golden glow looks pretty cool, I do have the sides going inside sitting on top of the floor if that's what you mean. I youtube building ICP Savannah S which has the sides doing the same as mine so just sorta figure they would have it right.

I can easy change it as nothing pop-riveted yet.

Thanks for the keen eye Rick and yea the golden glow looks pretty cool, I do have the sides going inside sitting on top of the floor if that's what you mean. I youtube building ICP Savannah S which has the sides doing the same as mine so just sorta figure they would have it right.I can easy change it as nothing pop-riveted yet.

No I meant it supposed to go on the outside all the way around its edge, ie. you should be able to see it's edge on the outside of the fuselage. The floor as you have it should go inside the the cabin sides, not outside.

Rick

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

Hi Guy, just noticed something else, the rear part of the floor (the under the seat part) is reversed, upside down. The hole for the fuel pipe should be on the pilot side, ifyou havent found it already.

Cheers

Rick

Yes I know, I know, just came home for a hot lunch after unpacking everything put away when the visitors invaded the factory for Easter. I will spend the cloudy afternoon with my feet up and my nose in the manual for the afternoon ready for a big hit on it this week. It has risen back to priority one, what did Derek Liston say "Life get's in the way" and business too for that matter. I am 90% finished and 50% to go!

Hi Guy,

I am sure you have looked at this, and perhaps the new kits have this as standard now ...but its worth ensuring the fuel pipes are the barrier-hose type to eliminate the fuel smell. Have a look at [/url]

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/fuel-fumes.34298/

and

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/eliminate-fuel-smell-barrier-hose-installation.110613/

Cheers,

Rich