No wonder GA thrives in the USA

old man emu

Is it little wonder that General Aviation in all its forms thrives in the USA when States support it with organisations such as these http://www.marylandregionalaviation.aero/ ?

Just for information, Maryland is one of the New England states. It is 160 x 400 kms in size (32,ooo sq kms), which is one third the size of Tasmania.

Old Man Emu

I wouldn't say that it is dying in the USA but it was wounded. The GFC had a huge impact on new deliveries and hours flown as shown in the attached publication.

http://www.gama.aero/files/GAMA_2014_Databook_LRes%20-%20LowRes.pdf

But what is very different between the two countries is the attitude of the pilots. In the USA there is an optimism that things will improve as the economy improves. In Australia there is a gloomy pessimism that pervades.

• Agree 2

I suspect that casa are finally taking small steps in the right direction. They allowed Ausfly to run without ramp checks and except for a few areas, which hopefully will be ironed out before it is implemented, part 91 seems reasonable.

• Informative 1
  • Caution 1

The ramp checks arent the problem (if its not right then it not right). I suggest that overegulation, self serving empire building management, personal axe grinding by management and sheer incompetence are more to blame that mere safety checks. I refer to CASA of course.

• Agree 2

Is it little wonder that General Aviation in all its forms thrives in the USA when States support it with organisations such as these http://www.marylandregionalaviation.aero/ ?Just for information, Maryland is one of the New England states. It is 160 x 400 kms in size (32,ooo sq kms), which is one third the size of Tasmania.

Maryland isn't in New England.

• Agree 1

Each state has a department of Aviation. Most produce maps and airport directories. Provide grants for airport upgrades and generally promote aviation.

https://www.nevadadot.com/About_NDOT/NDOT_Divisions/Planning/Aviation/Aviation.aspx

http://www.ncdot.gov/aviation/

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Operations/Aviation/Pages/default.aspx

Some do though charge an annual registration fee. For instance Ohio charges $15per seat and so a 2 seater is $30 per year while a 172 would be $60. It only applies to aircraft that are based in that state. Generally in the USA public use airports do not charge landing fees. Compared to Australian landing fees $30 a year is a bargain.

CASA is charged with keeping aviation safe. Nothing else. The FAA is charged with keeping aviation safe and also promoting aviation. There is a big difference there.

If you had responsibility for safety and nothing else, how could you afford to miss any chance that there may be a safety issue. Beest thing would be to stop as much flying as you could, so that you would look as if you were competent.

The problem is getting the politicians to cahnge the charter of CASA.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I beg to differ re CASA. CASA may be a roadblock, but its not what is stopping GA in Australia. What stops GA Australia is rising costs, and this comes from increased aircraft prices (a bog standard new GA trainer is now costing around half a million dollars), increase in fuel prices, increases in insurance costs. Put simple, GA is just not affordable anymore.

Compared to the US, its still not cheap, but when I was there and the dollar was about $0.72 the cost to hire an aircraft with an instructor was almost half of what I pay for a private hire in Australia.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I beg to differ re CASA. CASA may be a roadblock, but its not what is stopping GA in Australia. What stops GA Australia is rising costs, and this comes from increased aircraft prices (a bog standard new GA trainer is now costing around half a million dollars), increase in fuel prices, increases in insurance costs. Put simple, GA is just not affordable anymore.Compared to the US, its still not cheap, but when I was there and the dollar was about $0.72 the cost to hire an aircraft with an instructor was almost half of what I pay for a private hire in Australia.

Steady on mate lets not let logic and reasoned thought get in the way of Casa/Jab/anything else bashing. 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

• Winner 1
  • Caution 1

Slow creep of rising costs in regulation, insurance, risk, product warranties, WHS, welfare both personal and industrial, enviromental commitments, social conscious.

We all enjoy having these networks and supports and eventually something has to give out to afford it.

Australians are very good at supporting and implementing protections somehow thinking they wont pay for it.

• Agree 1

If we don't have the right attitude, aviation might stall. If we had a clue what CASA might do next it might give us something to plan on. Nev

Nev, CASA don't know what CASA is doing next, how are they to be expected to be able to inform the industry?... Maybe they could regulate less expectations of the regulator...

• Haha 1

In Australia there is a gloomy pessimism that pervades.

Awwww. . . .I thought the bloody UK had cornered the market in GLOOM and all pervading pessimism about the future of ANYTHING up here at 52 North mate ! ! ! . . . We're all DOOMED ! !

:-(

Phil

• Like 2