ICON A5 Legalities

dlegg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meh. read the consumer protection laws in your state, or check out the trade practices act. Just let them (Icon) know that the contract isn't valid in Australia and you need one that is. Call your local consumer protection agency and get a reference number from them to supply Icon with - if your still willing to buy from a company that behaves like this.

Doc, I will say one thing...Be very very careful.

i believe icon are trying to use the first 100 customers to push the sales contract through as they paid a non refundable deposit of $30k for a founders edition A5. pull out $30k bonus for icon resell slot again win win for icon.

Fair call Ultralights, but my point is they are out of production and that can't be good for owners of 162's and the question is would you buy one now ? They are certainly a good aircraft ! I would like one Cheap !

Have a look at the SeaRey

Always liked Seareys but was told years ago about some handling characteristics and have never flown one, did enquire about a kit once. Your thoughts on handling ?

• 4 weeks later...
Doc, I will say one thing...Be very very careful.

Hey all i have a fellow SPAA member flying the A5 at their HQ at Vacaville to decide if he is going to purchase or not and going over the sales contract and many other aspects of getting the A5 into Australia as soon as i hear anything i will post has anyone heard much apart from icon getting straffed at sun/fun ?

• Informative 2

I contacted icon a couple of months ago and asked if they were going to be at Avalon Air Show in 2017.

They replied saying they wouldn't be represented at Avalon.

The email went on to say there have been many orders for the A5 from Australia.

I have worked hard and saved, I can afford one now.

My shed has been built to fit the icon. 10m X 15m

I really appreciate dleggs post, and the following thread discussion,

I didn't have any knowledge about the buyer agreement until reading it here tonight.

Are there many forum members that have actually ordered an A5?

I may look at the amphibious Foxbat and a 2017 Ford Mustang instead of the A5

Fly Safe

RW

Just a question about Icon ,will it be an LSA aircraft here in Australia ? Because it's over 600 kg MTOW exemption is only FAA approved .

Or can it only fly at 600kg here.

Just a question about Icon ,will it be an LSA aircraft here in Australia ? Because it's over 600 kg MTOW exemption is only FAA approved .Or can it only fly at 600kg here.

CAO95.55 permits a 650Kg MTOW for aircraft "equipped to land on water".I wonder if I could use that for the RV to gain another 50Kgs?? After all, it doesn't say you have to takeoff again after that landing.......031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

• Caution 1

I contacted icon a couple of months ago and asked if they were going to be at Avalon Air Show in 2017.They replied saying they wouldn't be represented at Avalon.

The email went on to say there have been many orders for the A5 from Australia.

I have worked hard and saved, I can afford one now.

My shed has been built to fit the icon. 10m X 15m

I really appreciate dleggs post, and the following thread discussion,

I didn't have any knowledge about the buyer agreement until reading it here tonight.

Are there many forum members that have actually ordered an A5?

I may look at the amphibious Foxbat and a 2017 Ford Mustang instead of the A5

Fly Safe

RW

hi rotorwork i have an A5 on order plus 2 friends aswell last i heard there was 34 orders for Aust but that is old info whats your info on this. its been a long wait along with cost increases but that always happens they are delivering to proper customers this MAY but the first 100buyers paid a non refundable big deposit so i guess the sales contract may have worked on them as for the rest of the orders time will tell. i can say that icons biggest market USA are not happy with the contract if that market fails icon will fail i hope this does not happen icon got blasted at sun/fun airshow by position holders-- google forbes icon a5 -- dont give up on owniing a A5 yet its early days and dont buy a mustang they may be a new car in AUST but that shape is 6 years old in the US and they cant give them away.

• Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

well guys i got an email from ICON about production delays and staff cutbacks after it was stated on social media see (facebook) so well done on that one ICON. more care about image than staff and customers. the first question is why are they spending money setting up flight centers and laying off staff that should be building aircraft its one thing laughing at the other let people fly a plane we cant build. WTF that will do me.

• Informative 2

the first question is why are they spending money setting up flight centers

Expansion is a common tactic to continue to explain where investor's money is going.

Posted elsewhere ..

According to the link posted, the cumulative average pay of the full time employees has to be $89,000, or more, per year. That works out to around $43 per hour for a 52 week year.

What do 160 people getting $43/hr do at an airplane factory that isn't building any planes? If they were at full staff to meet their tax agreement that would mean 225 employees at $89,000 /17 planes (so far) = $1,177,941 per plane.

• Informative 1

• 1 month later...

hey everyone well Icon have changed the purchase contract/agreement and it seems a lot more acceptable now its unfortunate with the production delay time will tell if this is true and not a disguise for financial troubles. My friend got back from flying the A5 and going over the sales contract he liked flying the A5 so much that he is staying as a customer and I trust his word with over 40years flying experience and owner of a Lake Bucaneer + Cessna on floats. He flew the A5 at Vacaville nut tree airport ICONs production facility and at Lake berryissa he was very impressed with the stall + water performance + landing +flying in general and says its all about the adventure/versatility and enjoyment of flying with being amphibious and 100hp the A5 was never about speed and distances its about fun flying so whats wrong with that ?

• Like 2

I saw the mockup at Oshkosh in 2014 and look forward to seeing one fly!

yes I was at Osh 14 and that was ICONs ESN 1. engineering serial number 1. made from every part and manufacturing process that will go into production and be delivered to buyers the only problem is no one has taken delivery yet that's the sad part. I must say that I checked every LSA at osh 14 and found nothing that came close to the A5 in finish and build quality I have friends with SEAREYS and comparing they look like they could have been made in the 1920's with all those wires and struts youtube A5 demo flying at osh 15 at the seaplane base. awesome.

• Winner 1

• 2 weeks later...

AV WEB video on youtube with ICON talk about spin resistance VG vortex generators and wing fold no flying no new info fairly useless from AV WEB dont know why they bothered. stop the video hype how is anyone going to take delivery of a plane they cant build.

• Informative 1

• 6 months later...

ICON recently sent to everyone on order list a survey/questionnaire which I found strange with questions like--what do you think is a fair price for the A5? what is the maximum price that would stop you from buying the A5? and then there was some more intrusive bordering on offensive questions-- what is your occupation? what is your income per year? what is your net worth? its like every time they get close to production they find a way to pee off the people they need to survive (the buyers) remember the sale contract 40 pages of head ache and then they announce a 1year delay. what excuse for no production this year? basically the feeling I got was that it was a poke to see how many are going to stay and buy the A5. reality can bite.

• Informative 1

ICON recently sent to everyone on order list a survey/questionnaire which I found strange with questions like--what do you think is a fair price for the A5? what is the maximum price that would stop you from buying the A5? and then there was some more intrusive bordering on offensive questions-- what is your occupation? what is your income per year? what is your net worth? its like every time they get close to production they find a way to pee off the people they need to survive (the buyers) remember the sale contract 40 pages of head ache and then they announce a 1year delay. what excuse for no production this year? basically the feeling I got was that it was a poke to see how many are going to stay and buy the A5. reality can bite.

The whole icon contract thingie has been strange from an Aussie point of view. But to play devils advocate for a little while. I have a number of friends and acquaintances from the USA and they are far less reluctant than most Aussies to talk about their incomes and how much they are worth. So while it's a bit weird to us to be asked that maybe it's not so much for the Americans.