Silly aviation pictures.

Cobalt

In reply to 54, not enough to notice. Ask any dolphin surfing the bow wave of a container ship

Unless it gets sucked into the fan.

Must be 25 years ago I responded to a call from the Master of the MV Bass Trader to Melbourne Water Police reporting a jet ski surfing his bow wave in the South Channel.

I called the Master to tell him I would remove the nuisance and he replied saying it wasn't really a nuisance because he wouldn't even feel the bump!

Kaz

• More 1

Another 'not a silly' from Vintage Bonanzas. The Beechcraft Bonanza turned 72 this year, first coming out in 1945. Here's a photo to celebrate.

271414408_72years.JPG.6639f16061fff29d0e42bfb614a93265.JPG

• Like 3

Could be Gisborne NZ, or is there another place with the bright idea of mixing trains with planes?

Check the Ersa entry for Gundaroo ( Dick Smith's place ).

"Aircraft on taxiway must give way to steam train." Or Words to that effect.

Not what you see in this photo though.

Could be Gisborne NZ, or is there another place with the bright idea of mixing trains with planes?

Yep, that's Gisborne. The rail crossing has lights, controlled from the control tower.

Sadly, the line up to there from Napier (to the south), which passes through a lot of precipitous and rugged country, has been out of operation for a number of years after large sections were lost to slips and storm damage: NZ is geologically very young and so greatly given to slips and accelerated erosion. I believe the train you see there is maintained by steam enthusiasts for local outings only.

Nifty footnote, though: there have been many rumours of illegal DIY motorised jiggers, used by hunters as a convenient way in and out of the rough country up there. And one was hit by a train a couple of years back, just North of Napier (where freight still runs), spilling large quantities of beer. From what one could see of the wreckage, it looked to have been beautifully made............)

Check the Ersa entry for Gundaroo ( Dick Smith's place )."Aircraft on taxiway must give way to steam train." Or Words to that effect.

Not what you see in this photo though.

Aboard the Gundaroo Express:

310737149_Gundaroosteamtrain.jpg.8e2b23116a56bb43f1c3c52aedd8c6f8.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...