Buying a Thruster or similar

Mac Hoban

G'day fellow aviators, I've just arrived in southern Qld and I'll be driving south to Tassy over the next twelve days hoping to see ultralight aircraft and learn more about them, maybe buy one. Suggestions welcome!

G'day fellow aviators, I've just arrived in southern Qld and I'll be driving south to Tassy over the next twelve days hoping to see ultralight aircraft and learn more about them, maybe buy one. Suggestions welcome!

XAirs are good and similar some what. Cheers

X-Air is tricycle undercarriage too which pleases me.I'll put Lethbridge on my itinerary, any more info like a contact number or ad reference?

Here's the ad Aviation Classifieds

Paul has owned it for a number of years and flies it regularly throughout the year.

In my opinion, they are are easy to fly so don't be put off by the tailwheel.

They are all getting on a bit. If you are going for something like that try a Drifter. There's SB that has a 582 usually and the WB does not need quite as much power, so sometimes has a smaller motor. The 582 is the only Rotax 2Stroke still made and serviced (parts) by Rotax. I think they are easier to fly than the Thruster and have a terrific view from the cockpit. Check the fabric on all of these as it deteriorates in the sun. Nev

G'day Mac, my suggestion is that you concentrate in QLD for possible purchases... they're a bit thin on the ground here in Tassie!

They are all getting on a bit. If you are going for something like that try a Drifter. There's SB that has a 582 usually and the WB does not need quite as much power, so sometimes has a smaller motor. The 582 is the only Rotax 2Stroke still made and serviced (parts) by Rotax. I think they are easier to fly than the Thruster and have a terrific view from the cockpit. Check the fabric on all of these as it deteriorates in the sun. Nev

I've flown both - they are both relatively easy to fly - Drifter has a better view but in a Thruster you are next to your PAX - great for QLD - they are both tailwheel but in my opinion tame.

Fabric can be tested with a Bettsometer

Hi Mac,

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of recreational aviation!

Some important things to consider when deciding what to buy:

- Be led by advise, practicality and function, rather than what looks cute.

- Consider as a very high priority an enclosed airplane over an open design when planning on flying in Tasmania. Our best flying is during the colder months and having to dress like an Eskimo and still freezing is not fun. ( even harder now as we are no longer 'spring chickens')

- Nev is spot on. Fabric can be tested very easily and regardless of condition, usually makes for a more affordable 'first' aeroplane.

- As I mentioned in a pm (personal message) there is a very nice low hour Thruster for sale in Tas.

As it is already 'over the pond' it's asking price is even more attractive as it won't have to be flown/ trailered home (trailer, fuel, time, Spirit of Tasmania costs, booking availability this time of year etc.

- So if you buy a single place aeroplane, you will have your investment sitting in a hangar somewhere while you pay dual training rates to learn to fly someone-else's aeroplane. I am more than happy to take you through the course of training for your pilots certificate in my Jabiru, but you will still need to fly a further minimum amount of time for any endorsements you will need such as Tailwheel, twostroke etc.

- Finding somewhere to park and fly your plane near where you live in southern Tas is going to take some effort.

There are folding wing designs that you can trailer and keep at home. I owned a Gazelle and kept it in a fully enclosed trailer. Best ever.

- It is most unlikely you will ever intentionaly land on a sealed runway here in Tas. Your choice of aeroplane should reflect that. What is more important than speed, transponders and artificial horizons, is the ability to safely operate from paddocks. So, bigger wheels, effective brakes, softer suspension, propeller clearance, slower touch-down speed is very high on the desirable list.

- If you buy a two seater (and there are lots for sale), you can't learn to fly in it unless it is 25 or 24 registered (factory built). You can learn to fly in a 19 registered 2 seat plane, but only if you built it. You can do your cross-country training in a 19 registered plane, as the flying is not for a certificate, but for an endorsment.

- Get at least enough flying training under your belt to be at the stage where you can takeoff and land unassisted.

This will give you a very good idea of what kind of flying you wish to persue. After a life-time of romancing of flying and aviation in general, you may have formed a mental vision of a flying style that may not be reflected in reality.

- Talk to the schools who have been around for a while. They probably earnt their living in the early days from flying Thrusters and Drifters. (Fabric, twostroke, factory built= affordable.) and will be able to give you first hand experience regarding costs, maintenance etc.

Good luck, hope this helps

WBY

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

Thank you everyone for your comments. It's been a great help and I've learned heaps from following up your suggestions. I've seen one aircraft in particular I'd dearly love to grab but I'm going to get home and ruminate before I act. One thing I've been struck by is that used ultralights are a buyer's market and you gotta be sure. Once you buy one it could take months or years to sell if it's not what you really wanted. And if it's hangered that could cost you more than the plane is worth! Damn.

• Agree 1

G,day Mac and wecome to the clan, their is some excellent advice and tips that have already been forwarded to you via this forum for my two cents worth I would suggest you take your time with your aircraft type decision and in particular do not overlook the factory produced Quicksilver GT500. I did my training in a cub. And brought a 500 as my first aircraft, I then went on and brought a storch muster and I am still behind it capabilities. I sold my 500 to clear my rented hanger for the storch and have regretted doing so ever since, so much so that I have brought another one. The thing is I love flying the storch but the reason we fly is for the pure enjoyment of it, we,re not rpt taxies, and for real flying fun the 500 ticks all the boxes. Its also fully cnc machined and fully supported and still in production, so have a fly in one at least befor you decide is my suggestion sir. Cheers Mick

• Agree 1

Its also fully cnc machined and fully supported and still in production, so have a fly in one at least befor you decide is my suggestion sir. Cheers Mick

My internet is dead slow here today Mick so I can't find out for sure but I remember the quicksilver factory shutting up shop a year or two ago, what I can't remember is if anyone took on the job of building them again? Are they still being produced by a new mob?

I did like the look of them.

Yes their still building and I have had parts supplied since the ownership change as well, another point to them is their parts manual supplied with the aircraft it,s very comprehensive with exploded views of all assemblies and numbered hardware. Many manufacturers would do well to follow them.

• Like 1