Current Board

After reading Monk’s sermon in the last Sport Pilot one thing jumps off the page:

So why do we end up with a board such as ours that isn’t representative of our membership

Surely as a major proponent of the current constitution the question should be self answering.

• Like 3

Because they planned it that way to give themselves pretty much a free hand and you voted for it or perhaps didn't vote at all. This situation may be able to run the show well enough but I've always believed only pilots really know about what pilots need, but IF they don't agree on much or won't get off their bums and get organized, the resultant Chaos is taking you nowhere good.. "I just want to fly" is a great simplification. If that's the limit of what you want, don't come crying, because you were easily satisfied... You now have two bodies governing you in how you operate without much direct say in how that's done. The CASA AND the RAAus. Neither have any legal requirement or an obligation to defend you against the CASA or the RAAus (ie Themselves). when there's a conflict of interest. Nev

• Like 1

“Only pilots really know about what pilots need “ Really, are you that naive? There are thousands of instances where people have tried to make a business from their hobby and the bank now owns their home.

• Like 1

Very out of context ev 17. You really have to take in the whole lot. I never suggested Pilots make good Businessmen. That's another story altogether. Nev

Granted, must have been the influence of the 2016 Magyars Hill shiraz

• Like 1

So what parts of the Constitution need to be changed to overcome these issues? Publication of Board minutes and agendas (including associated reports etc), mandate a legal defence fund, detail the priorities of responsibilities of RAA (eg to advocate on behalf of members has precedence over desire to cosy up to CASA)? Anything else such as tell CASA that RAAus insn't interested in Part 149 which is what the GFA is considering?

I see the RAAus as being "stolen" from the members in essence. It was being chaotic Agreed but we owned the chaos, (and the good aspects). Now we trust a new "Centre of Power" to do a good job. I has the problem of being subservient to CASA to "exist" at the extreme and day by day to get what it wants. We run the risk of the new RAAus going too far to please the CASA (Overcompensating) or antagonising other sections of Aviation in their desire to be the NEW GA as an example may NOT be what we or the rest of non commercial aviation want, just as a couple of examples and I could elaborate but won't.

. IF they LISTEN to us all the way we may go OK. If they only go through the motions just for appearances sake they will not be the ideal management for US. They may well have their own agenda. and the outcome is more as they say "in the Lap of the GODS". Nev

• Like 1

The original concept as constantly repeated by CASA was there would always be another path (alternative) to choose . Realistically they want rid of GA. I cannot see how they can contract out of THEIR obligations and the Law. But what would I know? I can't see we are any closer to a satisfactory answer than we were say 15 years ago. The difference is I now don't allow myself the luxury of false hopes. I've lost a lot of money due them changing the rules without regard for people who are in the process of going by the previous ones and get left stranded. Nev.

I believe there was another organisation mooted but it seems to have dropped by the wayside, nothing like having options eh?

The last from Keith about this they are still being held up by CASA, this doesn’t surprise anyone who has had much to do with them (CASA).

• Like 1

After reading Monk’s sermon in the last Sport Pilot one thing jumps off the page:

So why do we end up with a board such as ours that isn’t representative of our membership

Surely as a major proponent of the current constitution the question should be self answering.

We have a board?

I thought it was just the M&M show......

(Sarcasm, before anyone jumps the gun)

• Like 2

The last from Keith about this they are still being held up by CASA, this doesn’t surprise anyone who has had much to do with them (CASA).

You are correct Frank.. Am hoping this new government may facilitate a way forward. See what the next few days will present. Hoping?????

We are making moves however how effective who knows. At times it feels like English test cricket bat all day for one run in the process not get out.

KP

• Like 2

You are correct Frank.. Am hoping this new government may facilitate a way forward. See what the next few days will present. Hoping?????

We are making moves however how effective who knows. At times it feels like English test cricket bat all day for one run in the process not get out.

KP

I was having a think about what I said, should have said, "In the process just stay in, just hang about all day". Test cricket at its best.

KP

Are you talking of cricketers or Pollies?

CASA have stuffed around for so long that we really need to get 4 Corners or some similar investigative journalism going.

• Like 1

Under both old and new structure, very few nominate and stuff all vote. Plenty complain though.

Board members probably do represent those limited number who vote

• Like 1

Under both old and new structure, very few nominate and stuff all vote. Plenty complain though.

Board members probably do represent those limited number who vote

The complainers are the one negative aspect of Ian's creation. Unfortunately they have useful things to say on other topics so i cant just ignore them.

I'd wonder what situation is such as to not deserve to attract a justified criticism of SOME of it's behavior.. Forget the TAGS and read the argument. Goodies and baddies is kid stuff. Nev

• Like 1

Having a bigger board or geographic representation won't necessarily reduce the overabundance of CFIs.

Having a bigger board or geographic representation won't necessarily reduce the overabundance of CFIs.

Comically the same number of CFIs as was on the last representative board (or possibly even 1 more). Not that I believe that is a problem as they generally are more informed on what is happening & what is needed in the FLYING industry, at least in their own area than weekend academics.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Can't see how having a lot of CFI's inputting would increase costs and complexity any more than you are getting from People with systems management qualifications and "growth for US" aims. CFI's know what "flying" people want and they Know that higher costs reduces the number of people who start and stay flying. (for fun and education). Complexity makes it NOT fun. Box ticking isn't real safety either. Don't spanner your plane unless you know what you are doing. Find someone who does.. It often takes only one bolt or clip coming undone to bring you completely undone. Correct me if i'm wrong, but are we having much self built (let alone self designed) stuff happening? Not everyone can or should or wants to do it, but this is the organisation that should cover that much as the AUF did. For SAFE, simple and cheap flying. Nev