Cable suppliers

Flexible Drive Industries are the people who will supply everything you need by way of control cables. You only need to supply a length, diameter, construction material, and types of ends required, style of yoke or ball stud coupler, and they will offer a mind-boggling array of solutions, with one that will suit your requirements exactly. And if it's not in stock, they will manufacture it for you.

You need to know the style of cable ends in particular, this relates to the amount of travel arc the arm is moving in (degrees) - which means if the arc is small, you utilise a cable with a fixed end - or if the arc is large, you need a cable with an inbuilt pivoting end, to allow for the amount of bending at the end of the cable.

https://www.flexibledrive.com.au/

Tried to buy some engine mounts for my homebuilt trike from Flexible Drive long time ago. When I mentioned what they were for they refused point blank to sell them to me. Had to send a mate in to buy them for a go-cart. That seemed to work lol.

When I wanted some welding done on the Jabiru exhaust, I said to the guy "this is for my harvesting machine " and he was happy.

The previous place was horrified at the idea of doing something for a plane.

• Agree 1

After some control cable (for a homebuilt project) what are the recommendations.

What lengths are you after. I have some brand new skyranger cables that may be useful to you, that you could cut to length if they are longer than you want.

Tried to buy some engine mounts for my homebuilt trike from Flexible Drive long time ago. When I mentioned what they were for they refused point blank to sell them to me.

My former son-in-law's is in the same business as Flexible Drive, making control cables for vehicles and machinery. I once asked him if he would make control cables for a homebuilt aircraft and he refused on liability grounds.

My advice is to contact AirAg Airag Aviation – Bankstown Aircraft Maintenance and talk to them. They have approval to make control cables and use certified cable and hardware. Don't baulk at the cost because its; your neck in the noose.

I bought some cable from a forum member. When I asked one company if they could test one to destruction, they asked what it was for and I was silly enough to be honest. They wanted a shedload of paperwork and were going to charge a fortune.

Then I rang another company and told them I wanted a piece of cable tested. They said no problem, bring it in. I put some eyes in and crimped the ferrules with a hand crimper (looks like bolt cutters), took it in and watched as they pulled on it until it broke at 842kg. Cost me $10.

You can go the certified route and I would not ever suggest you don't. I followed the crimping pattern in my plans and got a piece tested for my own peace of mind.

• Like 3