Cessna runway excursion

That bloke reminds me of a famous comment... I wouldn't trust them to build a canoe. Some people need to stick to wheel barrows...Too much political correctness in the aviation game.

TN.

Well if it's more 'them factors' than 'human factors' to blame, we're all off the hook.

Like I said, I wonder just how many hours he had before been sent up solo. Assessed competency etc, total flying time.

The other possibility is, something in his brain got spooked and he went into some sort of mental meltdown, something that was previously undiscovered in his life, now discovered that might rule him out for being a pilot.

Still, comes back to, for me, essential actions not yet firmly imprinted in brain.

Well if it's more 'them factors' than 'human factors' to blame, we're all off the hook.

The 'Them' refers to some would be pilots that shouldn't be let near an aeroplane. That blokes not going to live a long and happy life. Believe me, I've thought I could train a few. They went on to rearrange some hardware as well as there own appearance. TN.

There are definitely quite a few in that category. The idea "everyone can be taught to fly an aeroplane" is a pure marketing stance and is irresponsible. . It's not the realm of "superpersons only" either. The level you end up at is mostly determined by drive and amount and quality of training. This guy may have a had a panic attack or similar for reasons not connected with his previous performances or demonstrated ability.. I think it would take a professional to assess that. Instructors sometimes get students with mental conditions and have to deal with it, including being ready for it at all times (same as incapacity)...Nev

Lessons learned for the student hard way.

Unfortunately, I am sad to see negativity from fellow aviators, especially from students.

I am guessing some of us are born with the wings and nobody of us never made any mistake, ever.

How many of us practiced e.g. flat tyre or wheel locked landings before and after the licence ?

Whatever happened, he obviously applied the first rule everyone learned "If anything goes wrong - go around", however after applying full power and (premature) nose up, he got frozen.

We should thank student for sharing the video so that we can learn from his mistake.

Hope he recovers.

• Like 2

What was going on in that guys head? He landed fine and then started to veer left, then full throttle & off to the right bumping over the grass & taxiways while pulling full up elevator and finally the car steering wheel act with a vain attempt to do something on the panel but missing the throttle altogether. He just lost it completely & must have felt really bad afterwards. I'd love to hear an explanation but it would likely boil down to "I f***ed up & froze."

• Like 2

Tractors newer than about 1980 have the throttle working in the correct sense, push for power. They even have power shift gear levers working in the correct sense, pull back slower gear unlike cars.

Funny that because the reason why automatic car shifts push for slow is the body's natural tendency to move forward when slowing down. And vice versa.

So - where's the intuition in the old Chrysler push-button automatics? I've driven lots of machines, it just takes a bit of brain re-training to remember what you're driving, and where the controls are located, and which direction they go.

Then you jump into a manual and forget, and you think you're still driving an automatic, and you just step on the brake, forget the clutch pedal, and stall it!

I've driven old Cats where the throttle was on the right, and it was pulled back towards you to gain revs - but now I've got a Cat where the throttle is on the left, and it's pushed forward to gain revs!

I've driven old Cats where the throttle was on the right, and it was pulled back towards you to gain revs - but now I've got a Cat where the throttle is on the left, and it's pushed forward to gain revs!

I've had the same with dozers and tractors, rotary hoes, and rough country 4WD throttles and boats, so in my case I wouldn't be referring to a "tractor throttle" as such, so it's hard to understand what this "tractor throttle" really means, unless it's referring to setting the rpm for individual stages of flight. The only time the throttles on any of those items needs some care in design is in high powered boats where it pays to have the throttle opening to the bow. If its opening to the stern and, say your about to take off with a 150 hp outboard and a skiier behind, if you pull back on the throttle the acceleration is going to try to force you back and could lead to the trottle being opened more than you intended, and make it harder to recover, whereas if you push the throttle forward by power and you're caught by the g force and keep hanging on to the throttle you'll slow it down and your body will be returned to the upright easier.

• Like 1