Aerobatic flight.

Hi.

Over the years I have struggled with my confidence as a pilot . And have not made the progress i would have wished somebody suggested a aerobatic flight a long time ago and i thought no way. but ten year later on the 4/1/21 they will be putting me and the phone pole i am holding onto in a aircraft with Colin Appleton.

Wish me luck. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

I used to teach a bit of that. Dress to be cool . Tighten the straps fully, have the air vents open and don't have eaten or drunk anything that disagrees with you. beforehand. A mild "real" ginger drink can be useful. Never dehydrate. and I wish you luck (as requested).  There's nothing really unsafe about aeros in the right plane and with the right pilot as long as you don't do them too close to the bottom edge of the sky. I have often suggested "Recovery from Unusual attitude Training"  and still do. This will be an experience anyhow.  No doubt, we will hear from you in due time. .Nev

• Informative 1

I was a bit of a madman in my younger days, basically bullet proof but I came unstuck & I almost gave up flying. I had been to the national hang gliding comps and saw some of the daredevils looping & figured I could do that but didn't want to try it with a large audience. Once back home I started to do wingovers to 90 degrees & then a bit more till I was getting way past vertical. The feeling was exhilarating but I pushed the boundary too far & in an almost loop stopped upside down & fell on to the crossbar. The glider had assumed a falling leaf configuration & I got my feet out of the body harness & while hanging on to the inverted A frame walked out on the crossbar. The glider began to turn faster & then flipped back up the right way & I just went down & landed. I'd lost about 2000 feet during the ordeal & it wasn't till some time later I really started to freak out. Why didn't I think to throw my parachute? I didn't fly for months afterwards & couldn't get the feeling of panic out of my head.

A mate who was the CFI of the Aero Club owned a Yak 52 & He said to me one day why don't you come up & see what aeros are all about. I did and was blown away. I never ever tried aeros on my own or with an instructor but that flight restored my confidence no end for reasons I can't explain. That was over 40 years ago & I still love to fly, just not aerobatically.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

7 hours ago, shafs64 said:

Hi.

Over the years I have struggled with my confidence as a pilot . And have not made the progress i would have wished somebody suggested a aerobatic flight a long time ago and i thought no way. but ten year later on the 4/1/21 they will be putting me and the phone pole i am holding onto in a aircraft with Colin Appleton.

Wish me luck. 

I wonder if you mean confidence or fear? I was too scared to do stalls. Did the scary rides at Dreamworld about 90 times. Then did a couple of aerobatic sessions in an Extra 300, including recovery from inverted spins. Problem solved. So, if the aerobatics is too scary to cope with, do the thrill rides and go back. Good luck. 

3 hours ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

I wonder if you mean confidence or fear? I was too scared to do stalls. Did the scary rides at Dreamworld about 90 times. Then did a couple of aerobatic sessions in an Extra 300, including recovery from inverted spins. Problem solved. So, if the aerobatics is too scary to cope with, do the thrill rides and go back. Good luck. 

Well its more about irrational fear. I was advised by someone who had the same issue to do this flight. And i want get this monkey off my back. And enjoy flying.

• Like 1

Hanging in the harness straps upside down in a Tiger Moth didn't do much for me. Even though a canopy doesn't do much it's psychological. Later in life, speaking to  "other" pilots (as one does) I found I wasn't alone with that fear.. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow as I do an MRI and an ultrasound.

Over the years, I've had a few passengers really suffering from fear of flying and the flighties would bring them up front and we'd try to look super relaxed, and that we wouldn't fly anything with something wrong with it because we wanted to spend our "super". (Joking) and the plane was (starting with B) the safest there is  and we are highly trained , cars are less safe. etc etc.. SOME really do suffer and I really feel for them.

When I'm down the back, (hate it) and something like alpha floor goes off I just get a deep feeling of resignation  and dread and think "is this meathead going to be the way I go out after all  I've been through, and survived.?  THAT's NOT irrational fear. Nev

5 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Hanging in the harness straps upside down in a Tiger Moth didn't do much for me. Even though a canopy doesn't do much it's psychological. Later in life, speaking to  "other" pilots (as one does) I found I wasn't alone with that fear.. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow as I do an MRI and an ultrasound.

Over the years, I've had a few passengers really suffering from fear of flying and the flighties would bring them up front and we'd try to look super relaxed, and that we wouldn't fly anything with something wrong with it because we wanted to spend our "super". (Joking) and the plane was (starting with B) the safest there is  and we are highly trained , cars are less safe. etc etc.. SOME really do suffer and I really feel for them.

When I'm down the back, (hate it) and something like alpha floor goes off I just get a deep feeling of resignation  and dread and think "is this meathead going to be the way I go out after all  I've been through, and survived.?  THAT's NOT irrational fear. Nev

After I did the thrill rides with my eyes closed, I did them with my eyes open. Then, I did them without hanging on. That taught me to not be afraid to trust harnesses to hold me in place. That helped with aerobatic flight, where you have to have a soft touch on the controls and trust the harness to hold you in place.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

Good luck with your tests tomorrow. As pax I had I had the same issues with flying but over the years I have adjusted to it and enjoy domestic flying. But that ease doesn’t extend to my own flying yet

So today i felt 4g for the first time and other angles of flight that i have only seen from the ground. I really enjoyed the going vertical running out of airspeed and feeling the 0g and kicking in the rudder and going back down again. unfortunately i we had to cut it short as i got sick as a dog and didn't want to drive the porcelain bus in the plane. But i will be going back. it's just awesome...  

• Like 3

I held it because i am not a fan of messy situations. but he did have a spew bag ready for me just in case. he also so said a lot of people don't even make it past the first High G steep turn.

Well i went there to do the aerobatic frill ride but now it's turned training to help me with my confidence. by the does anyone have any tips on avoiding getting sick. should i not eat before i fly?

Congrats on your first Aeros flight! 

Food wise, no much advices here other than piloting (not being a passenger), hydration and light food. They say high sugar levels help with G's, finally something good out of my diabetes 🙂

Focus on flying, ask instructor to follow up  by touching yoke/stick when demonstrating. My weak points are tailspins, 2 or 3 in a row at the end of a lesson can upset stomach, but I think it's mainly because eyes closed before recovering.

Which aircraft you fly?

Some sickness pills have bad side effects if you are piloting, Ginger I've mentioned. Doing the flying is a big help. Some students or ROUGH "experts" would make me quite crook if i'm just sitting there copping what they dish out. . It can come on after you've landed as well. One keen chap just wanted to keep doing spins in a Tiger on a real hot day and after close to an hour I knew I couldn't keep it down any longer so Just  said "I have it. Keep on the controls and I'll do a hard sideslip" and out over the side it went and no one was any the wiser. I've had to clean up  the plane a few times and it's good to avoid that. Nev