Trim indicator

The trim on the warrior and Archer is electric via a button on the yoke but there is also a manual wheel between the seats. The electric was always unreliable and on a number of occasions I would apply trim and note the wheel not moving at all. Then I'd adjust it manually. Then the next time the electric would work. I reported the defect & the LAMEs would check it out, not find any fault and nothing changed.

It would be dangerous.. Trim is for reducing control forces  in certain circumstances but not all. Ie you don't trim in (steep) turns.  You don't control with trim unless your pitch has failed and your trim system is separate.. Ideally all planes would have a back up for Pitch control because pitch control is vital or you DIE.  Nev

Small stuff should have a trim runaway brake too Nev. as it was near impossible to overcome the stick forces after I had a full pitch down runaway. I was lucky enough to have a pilot in the right seat who helped me stabilise the aircraft. The trim run away to full nose down then popped the circuit breaker. At 100+ kts it was challenging. Turned out to be a chaffed cable in the fuselage on a 10 yo aircraft.

We all love to "accessories"  our aircraft,  me included but I do wonder about the move to complicate (eg electric trim) the basic flying machine.

These are supposed to be recreational aircraft. The addition of "big" plane systems, just adds complexity/cost/weight and reduced reliability all for what? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Skippy, my new big Jabiru has an autopilot. Before flying with this, I would have agreed with you 100%. Now I agree with you 90%.

Is the new BIG Jabiru a 230 or a 170? I mentioned your SK for sale to a bloke here but he thinks it is a bit small for him (he's about 6' 4") but a very good price.

• Like 1

The 2 way electric switch should stop the trim and the pull the circuit breaker BUT why go there? MANUAL has none of these problems. Don't complicate things if you don't HAVE to. FLY it, don't FIDDLE with it. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I reckon 6ft 4" is a bit big for an SK  Jabiru too, kgwilson. My new big one is a 230.

Most aircraft designers are about Rod Stiff's size ... small is definitely better for a pilot.

I have one guy corresponding about the Jabiru for sale, I must ask him how big he is.

Edited by Bruce Tuncks

I've flown the 230 & really liked it. It has to be the best recreational aircraft you can buy. 3.3 6 cylinder, 120 knot cruise, excellent fuel capacity & range, very strong fuselage & tons of room for gear & half the price of many European plastics. The only issue is MTOW of 600kgs so whenever CASA gets off its derriere & we get 750kgs you will be laughing

• Like 1

On 01/10/2021 at 8:29 AM, kgwilson said:

The trim on the warrior and Archer is electric via a button on the yoke but there is also a manual wheel between the seats. The electric was always unreliable and on a number of occasions I would apply trim and note the wheel not moving at all. Then I'd adjust it manually. Then the next time the electric would work. I reported the defect & the LAMEs would check it out, not find any fault and nothing changed.

If the planes I was flying had electric, the instructors did not make us aware of them. Only ever was aware of the wheel. Maybe earlier models didn't have them? Or it was an option?

1 minute ago, danny_galaga said:

If the planes I was flying had electric, the instructors did not make us aware of them. Only ever was aware of the wheel. Maybe earlier models didn't have them? Or it was an option?

You are probably right. The Cherokee 140 didn't have electric trim.

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

Don't Pipers normally have it above you on the roof? Nev

The Cherokee 140 did - very nice manual system which would let you trim hands off.

Electric trim on the yoke with a manual wheel was introduced with the Warrior.

• Informative 1

9 hours ago, facthunter said:

Missed that then.  I know I always got the direction wrong the first time.. Nev

Nose up, clockwise.

7 to 10 turns anticlockwise on a touch and go. (and I sometimes start the wrong way)

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 1