Radio Operator's Licence

I obtained my Radio Operator's Licence back when I first started flying in the early 70s. Like so many, the activities of Youth ceased  with the utterance of a mere two words, "I do".  

Is a radio operator's licence a lifetime thing? I'm mean, apart from brushing up on mandatory transmissions while returning to currency with my pilot's licence, I wouldn't have to sit the exam again, would I?

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

4 hours ago, old man emu said:

Is a radio operator's licence a lifetime thing? I'm mean, apart from brushing up on mandatory transmissions while returning to currency with my pilot's licence, I wouldn't have to sit the exam again, would I?

Seems like you might be transitioning to the new-fangled Part 61 licence from an old CAR 5 licence? You'll need a GELP, general english lannguage proficency, assessment as a prerequisite for using a radio. https://www.casa.gov.au/licences-and-certificates/pilots/pilot-licences/getting-recreational-pilot-licence-rpl#

• Informative 1

If I remember correctly there was an expiry date on the radio licence. I have never bothered about whether or not mine is valid. I have used it since the 70s right up until now. I can't check any of my records or my licence as it is all packed ready to move house tomorrow.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

When I took my H F radio test , I asked about ' annual renewal '   ( as about to head offshore, overseas )

BUT

Was promptly told " no one renews , just keep up to date " .

That was the government licence inspector. 

Then they want a test for this & another test for that, then they will dream up more ways to get revenue. 

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
More added
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, djpacro said:

13 hours ago, old man emu said:

You failed!

lannguage proficency

Sometimes I fail.

For pilot licences ... regs 61.120 & 61.435 refer to authorisations to use radio.

Edited by djpacro
typo - failed again

10 minutes ago, djpacro said:

Sometimes I fail.

For pilot licences ... regs 61.120 & 61.145 refer to authorisations to use radio.

Thanks.

I'll also have to check on the requirements for operating a radio ground to air for when we are moving about on the aerodrome.

5 minutes ago, old man emu said:

Thanks.

I'll also have to check on the requirements for operating a radio ground to air for when we are moving about on the aerodrome.

61.435 and my earlier link refer.

• Like 1

Once, in the air, I heard a vh pilot told off by a glider-pilot for " Occupying the airwaves with useless rubbish" and the glider pilot sure had a point.

These days, I use the 126.7 unicom frequency and I often wonder just where the reporting aircraft is. There is no attempt made to say just what place they are "on downwind" for.

I guess I should just ask them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

I often wonder just where the reporting aircraft is.

People don't realise a radio transmission will travel from a height above ground, especially of that ground is flat for miles and miles.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Once, in the air, I heard a vh pilot told off by a glider-pilot for " Occupying the airwaves with useless rubbish" and the glider pilot sure had a point.

These days, I use the 126.7 unicom frequency and I often wonder just where the reporting aircraft is. There is no attempt made to say just what place they are "on downwind" for.

I guess I should just ask them.

My head's spinning too much to unravel that riddle, but the guy calling downwind may have called "Edenhope Traffic" at the take off. A set frequency for the airfield helps.

On 20/11/2022 at 11:33 AM, djpacro said:

Seems like you might be transitioning to the new-fangled Part 61 licence from an old CAR 5 licence?

I spoke to an instructor who gave me the drum on what I had to do. Basically it's a matter of filling out a form; photocopying relevant logbook entries; providing an ID photo. And of course paying the $25 fee. I don't even have to prove that I can converse in the King's English.

Now I'll just wait until they change the rules and my Heavy Vehicle driver's licence medical will suffice to allow me to commit aviation.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Just an update on going Part 61. It was simple to apply for the change.

1. Download and print the application form from the CASA website
  2. Scan and print all the pages of my CAR 5 licence, including Radio Operator's licence
  3. Scan relevant pages from my logbook that show certification for solo, RPPL test and lifting of RPPL restriction, systems endorsements and ratings, and recent experience (wow 10 years ago)
  4. Obtain passport-sized photograph and have the photograph certified as being my ugly mug
  5. Fill out the approval for CASA to suck $25 from my bank account
  6. Declare that I hadn't told any porkies on the application document
  7. Put everything in an envelope and drop it in the mail.