Zenith CH-701 thread

eightyknots

Thanks for replies.

My "possibles" list of Foxbat, Savannah and Zenith relates to what I have seen that is for sale, and what I can afford.

Zenith 701 are at the lower end in terms of cash requirement and with beanie mod might be big enough for me. (Also with bubble doors fitted)

If I had enough time available I'd go for the savannah kit no question, but it would probably take me years.

Foxbat is at the high end but with advantage of 600Kg MTOW = better for carrying heavy passenger + full fuel.

Have only seen one X-air Hanuman for sale, looks good but similar price to all-metal aircraft. I may have to park out in the open for a while. S

• Caution 1

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 701 cabin is OK for Chris H and he is tall but i suspect the one you sat in had too much fat seating installed. mines prfectly comfy with just 1" fire retardant foam and quilted sheepskin patchwork car seat covers from Supercheap autos on top. I've seen some with just the thin leather car seat covers, on long trips he'd stuff a coat or sleeping bag underneath.

the trouble with doing a beanie mod the diagonal bar across the roof would need to remain unfortunately is the wrong orientation for someone occupying the left seat - I guess extra tall people could fly from the pax side

Sav or Hornet are the nearest equivalent aircraft

Thanks for replies.My "possibles" list of Foxbat, Savannah and Zenith relates to what I have seen that is for sale, and what I can afford.

Zenith 701 are at the lower end in terms of cash requirement and with beanie mod might be big enough for me. (Also with bubble doors fitted)

If I had enough time available I'd go for the savannah kit no question, but it would probably take me years.

Foxbat is at the high end but with advantage of 600Kg MTOW = better for carrying heavy passenger + full fuel.

Have only seen one X-air Hanuman for sale, looks good but similar price to all-metal aircraft. I may have to park out in the open for a while. S

May I suggest the CH750 may be more suitable......chuck in a subaru EJ22 with 130 ponies.....

• Agree 1

750 would be my choice too, but it looks like he's after a complete aircraft rather than kit.

Occasionally, in the USA, CH750 aircraft are coming on the market (with slats). This is because some people are replacing them with the CH750 CruZer model.

It seems as if the CruZer is nowhere near as STOL as the original CH750 though.

Correct. Still working full time + cattle farm + flying lessons. Finding it hard even to do RAAus exams time-wise. (But I have enough time to post on here you ask?.......on call for main job as we speak)

I have seen a few posts on US websites where people were disappointed with the CH750 performance.....Probably OK with 130Hp.

Beanie mod pictures seemed to show that diagonal brace having been removed. I might be wrong.

I was really interested in Superstol but again need time for build and not the cheapest kit around. And tail dragger need extra skill to fly.

Don't write off the tail draggers completely.

I love my Hornet and wouldn't change for a nose digger anytime soon. UNLESS it was going to be a second plane maybe a nice quick 4 or 6 seater then I might consider one but for landing in the paddocks and day to day the taildragger wins every time for me.

If you are planning on leaving it outdoors for a long amount of time then I would think full metal would be better than fabric.

It may be worth your while giving Ole at AAK in taree a call to see of he knows of any second hand hornets. Actually if you plan to mainly fly by yourself a hornet cub would be ideal:thumb up:. (Isn't it funny how we all recommend the planes we fly to others)

But don't rush into anything, take your time and go and fly in a few different planes and talk to owners and suss out the pros and cons of them all. And if someone says their plane has no cons then take everything they say with a grain of salt:wink:. It's all about getting a plane that suits your needs and has cons that don't affect your style/location of flying.

Picture taken during recce flight last week.468639803_WVairstrip.jpg.75b316dc1eaaef8f9386d8e342771cf4.jpg

As you can see there is plenty of room for a hangar but need to build it first.

Until I'm happy and confident I'll probably leave the aircraft at YBTH parked on the grass.

• Like 1

019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

Picture taken during recce flight last week.[ATTACH]38707[/ATTACH]As you can see there is plenty of room for a hangar but need to build it first.

Until I'm happy and confident I'll probably leave the aircraft at YBTH parked on the grass.

Hi TD maybe cut the airstrip and get your choice down to no more than six different types and cross hire them and land at your airstrip a few times in each and then decide. There is nothing like doing the best to illmininate a bad choice; your type could be a mix of say 4 tri/ nose and 2 tail draggers. Only an idea?

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Lets see, CH701, Savannah XL, Foxbat, X-Air Hanuman, Hornet Cub, JA Superstol. That's my contenders.

Probably any one of them would be satisfactory but it will be quite some time if ever before I can hire each of them and land on newly formed one-way farm strip.

Nice idea though.

JB your cabin photo gives me hope. Maybe I'm 6-7 cm taller from backside up. looks OK. With a roof as in #482 I'll be laughing. S

That's an interesting harness setup you've got there. Not a standard 3-point - where do you attach your shoulder straps to?

Marty, it was the harness supplied by CZAW, there is anchor points part no 7-FO-4-2CZ for the shoulder straps in the aft of of the extended baggage compartment.

CZAW certified their 701 to European BCAR 'S' they added doublers and increased rivet lines for these attachments. This change was adopted by Zenair in a later revision.

Ralph

• Informative 1

Lets see, CH701, Savannah XL, Foxbat, X-Air Hanuman, Hornet Cub, JA Superstol. That's my contenders.Probably any one of them would be satisfactory but it will be quite some time if ever before I can hire each of them and land on newly formed one-way farm strip.

Nice idea though.

JB your cabin photo gives me hope. Maybe I'm 6-7 cm taller from backside up. looks OK. With a roof as in #482 I'll be laughing. S

...and perhaps a Word Aircraft "Vision" or a Zenith CH-750?

I don't really know how short a STOL plane lands having never flown in one.

I can land the Foxbat fully stopped at MTOW in 150 to 170 metres without to much trouble.

I can get the Hanuman down and stopped between 100 and 150 metres.

Both take of in about the same distance.

Remember I have no real STOL experience or training so a good pilot could probably do a lot better with both aircraft.

The Hanuman with full flap comes in very steeply and very slowly if you want it to. Of course you would want to land it with full flap if the wind was gusting or playing around or if you did you would want to hold more speed on it.

• 5 weeks later...
001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif How is the build going Marty?

Slowly...!

Completed 1 flaperon last week... well, half a flaperon actually, as each wing has 2 of them riveted together with the outer one's trailing edge stepped up 15mm or so to provide washout. So to be precise I completed the outer flaperon segment for the right wing.

Also had my friendly local sheetmetal worker bend up all the spars & skins for the flaperons and slats.

Slowly...!Completed 1 flaperon last week... well, half a flaperon actually, as each wing has 2 of them riveted together with the outer one's trailing edge stepped up 15mm or so to provide washout. So to be precise I completed the outer flaperon segment for the right wing.

Also had my friendly local sheetmetal worker bend up all the spars & skins for the flaperons and slats.

Keep chipping away at it: Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...