Guess the plane

Guest Pioneer200

OK, The coloured fish I refer to would be the RED HERRING!

If you Google B-17 Single Engine (can't get a URL link to take?), there is much discussion if the aircraft ever existed in the above format, most tend to believe it is photoshopped.

Has there ever been a thread here before showcasing aircraft photoshop?

Arthur.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Maj Millard

Back to the B-17 turboprop. I suspect that it did exist and was probabily a post-war experiment. There were a great many surplus bombers around and I can believe that Boeing would try and work on another use for them.

They also used them in europe as remote controlled bombers loaded with explosives and remote guided to heavily defended targets from another aircraft. There is footage of one going straight into a hillside..............................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Apparently it did exist and was fitted with a Pratt & Whitney XT34-P turboprop engine as well as the other 4 engines and flew between 1949 and 1965 in this config as a test bed for the turbo prop engine..the plane was converted back to a "normal" B17 around 2002..the single engine version deplicted here was simply a photo shopped hoax that has been around for a while:nerd:

• 1 month later...

That was really clever !!

It is the 1st Aussie registered Ravin 500.....I think.

300 HP IO-540 Lycoming with 3 blade Hartzell scimitar CS prop.

Designed off the PA-24-260C Piper Comanche.

But, it's in very smooth glass, with lots of fairing at wing roots, a conventional tailplane with elevators.

Result = 65% cruise @ 195 KTAS and 62 LPH burn. Pushed a little harder and with 8000 altitude it tops 200. Stalls < 60 KIAS. Approach comfy @ 80 KIAS, reducing to 70/75 on short final.

How much better is it? A much easier to fly aircraft than the old Pipers. One of my current students is using a PA-24-250 Comanche - and it is pushing to get 145 KTAS @ 65% power settings. Comanche 260C's used to manage 155 -160 KTAS, but they are not in the hunt with the Ravin. I doubt that the 300HP is really necessary - it appears to be clean enough for a 260HP engine to drive it along at least to 180 KTAS.

Feel as tho I'm going backwards in the Jabby!

happy days,

Guest Maj Millard

Hi there Pylon, That 188 cardinal has a texas Taildragger mod hasn't it ?........hope your well.................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 1 month later...

G'Day Maj, you're the first person to question the C177 taildragger (which to the best of my knowledge, doesn't exist :ah_oh:), it's just me playing with photoshop again.

By the way, a C188 is an AgWagon....;)

Doin' well, busy flying and fixin' planes....

Arthur.

• 5 weeks later...
G'Day Maj, you're the first person to question the C177 taildragger (which to the best of my knowledge, doesn't exist :ah_oh:), it's just me playing with photoshop again.By the way, a C188 is an AgWagon....;)

Doin' well, busy flying and fixin' planes....

Arthur.

That mushave had the "Short prop" mod as well Aurthur, taxing might be a bit hard otherwise.

• 2 months later...
Guest JRMobile

On a trip to Melbourne over the Christmas break I found this lovely old girl in a hangar at lethbridge

Someone must be a very proud owner.:thumb_up: Congtates on a nice job :clap2:

[ATTACH]12807.vB[/ATTACH]

Cheers John

685706843_A2010-12-2813_01_54.jpg.e93d69d1c968053c5308927bb796a4b9.jpg