Buying AVGAS for cars etc

DarkSarcasm

A friend of mine is planning to race his car and was asking me about getting his hands on AVGAS to put in his car.

I'm fairly certain he can't just go to the airfield and buy it because he doesn't have a licence, is that right?

But are there any rules that would prevent me from buying a jerry can of AVGAS to take if I wanted to, or can you only buy it for use at airfields/in aircraft etc?

Dunno what the rules are now but our Aero Club used to make a tidy profit on selling Avgas to Car Clubs etc. They weren't allowed on the airfield . They left the Jerrycans, we filled em & then it was COD.

In the fuel crisis in the 70s i think? my grandfather ran all our work Utes on avgas apparently he was one of the only ones that could keep his fleet running! might be a bit of a tall story but i know that for the most part it is true

When i was working at Shute we sold 100LL to the MX racers and some other local speed freaks. They had to provide ID and sign a form stating it was for off road use or for primary industry.

Some property owners from further out west would often fill 8 drums with avgas for their R22 and bikes every week or so at mustering time. They would also take a drum of jet A for running their fridges that are left out in the bush when pigging. If it went into a road vehicle then we had to charge State and Fed taxes then 38cpl.

We found that if we did not sell it when race season started they would just drain it from aircraft at night.

Other than ASIC, airport entry problems it is up to the supplier if he wants to supply. Correct containers and quanity limitations per vehicle as per blah blah. Some may not supply fearing they may run short before their next drop. Then some may be chasing a quid or two.

Ozzie

Its now illegal to run avgas in road cars, also the engine has to be tuned to take full advantage of it.

Mind you l would'nt mind putting in 10% for the next dyno day.

regards Bruce

It has been an offence since 1 January 2002 in Australia to add lead, or any other prohibited substance, to motor fuel or to use leaded fuel, (other than for aviation) – maximum penalty $110,000!!!

There are still some exemptions for certain race vehicles but they are strictly controlled

http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/fuelquality/emerging/motor-sports.html

kaz

I believe they need to show their racing licence, such as a Motorcycling Australia racing licence for bikes.

However, Shell seems to be going to credit card bowsers these days and anyone can wander in with a jerry can, which is not a good thing. It is my understanding that it is not legal to supply the fuel to people without appropriate licensing.

Lead will KILL your catalytic converter, and cars really stink when this happens. This only applies to cars after about 1983, as prior to that, they were not fitted to most cars. Some older vehicles needed the higher octane fuels to run without engine damage, and you could get a form from the Customs and Excise people to get a permit. I have no recent experience in this area, but I used to do it. Moto-cross do not permit it's use in competition these days. There may be other high octane petrols available for racing, but I do not know their formulation. Nev

He's welcome to kill his catalytic converter if he wants, it's not my car! I do have some doubts myself but I said I'd at least ask around and see if it was possible for him to get his hands on some. The rest of it is up to him.

(personally I think he's nuts, it's going to ruin his car and I don't see the gain from it being enough to make the price of the AVGAS plus the price of repairs worthwhile)

I was going back to 2001. So it looks pretty irreverent to today. Back when V8 racing was real V8 racing Shell did a 160 octane for them. Plenty of big radial aircraft would try for some from each batch. I found 100LL to be a bit 'dry' for the ol XC. If i had ever been pulled over by Q Transport they would have picked it by looking at the exhaust pipe. Very white when using the stuff. I only used it cause it could not go back into an aircraft and it was free. A tank or so every couple of months helped the pocket a bit.

Are'nt you therefore an accessory before the fact? Nev

Right Nev, she's in it up to her EARS.

I'm a bit surprised people would equate Avgas with racing. Unless the engine is specifically designed for it where's the advantage?

My research has shown that kerosene planes go faster. This does not mean that PUTTING kerosene in you plane WILL make IT go faster. It has to be a JET. ( Kerosene fuelled dog whistle). Nev